2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

See, I don't know if he was that good a scout. He obviously signed our two most sellable assets in Moult and Johnson, but he also signed a lot of guff. Of his signings, I'd say:

Hit: Johnson, Pearson, McDonald, Ripley, Grimshaw, Moult

Jury still out on: Samson, Laing, Kennedy

Miss: Long, Straker, Thomas, Grant, Fletcher, Chalmers, Robinson, Clarkson, Taylor.

At that, you can barely give him credit for the scouting of McDonald or Pearson. Probably a bit harsh putting Grant down as a miss as he was a decent player, but didn't fit our system and had little impact.

Long did very well in some games and was a stand out in the play offs.

Grant was untested and 17 years old.

Robinson had a good pedigree and was available on a free transfer. Fletcher was injured and Moult excelled at that time.

Straker was awful.

Clarkson was known to the club as was McDonald and Pearson.

Chalmers came with a reputation and was meant to be a prospect. Maybe another player to chuck it after not making the grade at an old firm club.

Thomas was an enigma.

Taylor cane as an international with some promise but didn't perform.

• Like 1

See, I don't know if he was that good a scout. He obviously signed our two most sellable assets in Moult and Johnson, but he also signed a lot of guff. Of his signings, I'd say:

Hit: Johnson, Pearson, McDonald, Ripley, Grimshaw, Moult

Jury still out on: Samson, Laing, Kennedy

Miss: Long, Straker, Thomas, Grant, Fletcher, Chalmers, Robinson, Clarkson, Taylor.

At that, you can barely give him credit for the scouting of McDonald or Pearson. Probably a bit harsh putting Grant down as a miss as he was a decent player, but didn't fit our system and had little impact.

Ripley was probably our best goalkeeper since Randolph but he still made quite a number of mistakes that Twardzik would have been and Samson will be absolutely crucified for. I'm not saying for a minute that he was a poor goalkeeper (see above) but with that position I think you get away with things based on preconceived notions rather than actual performances. If you come with any sort of supporter baggage, you get ripped to shreads at the first mistake and its curtains for you. If you have a clean slate, fans will say 'these things happen'.

Grimshaw wasn't uniformly awful but he had more bad performances than good over his time at the club. Coming on to a bit of form towards the end - is that enough over the period he was at the club to put him down as a hit? The truth is Grimshaw's performances were very mixed.

Hit and Miss is a bit, well hit and miss. Sometimes things don't breakdown that neatly.

Ripley was probably our best goalkeeper since Randolph but he still made quite a number of mistakes that Twardzik would have been and Samson will be absolutely crucified for. I'm not saying for a minute that he was a poor goalkeeper (see above) but with that position I think you get away with things based on preconceived notions rather than actual performances. If you come with any sort of supporter baggage, you get ripped to shreads at the first mistake and its curtains for you. If you have a clean slate, fans will say 'these things happen'.

Grimshaw wasn't uniformly awful but he had more bad performances than good over his time at the club. Coming on to a bit of form towards the end - is that enough over the period he was at the club to put him down as a hit? The truth is Grimshaw's performances were very mixed.

Hit and Miss is a bit, well hit and miss. Sometimes things don't breakdown that neatly.

I agree with you regarding Ripley and I must say although Twardzik was far from perfect, I thought at times he got unnecessary criticism and got treated a bit badly there.

If Grimshaw came in on loan and we were left wanting to sign him at the end, then I'd call that a hit. I know things aren't quite as black and white as that, but it was the best way I could sum up Baraclough's eye for a player.

Tony Straker made me smile. That is enough for me. Hit.

I felt really bad putting him in the 'miss' pile, because he was easily the most entertainment we had near the end of the season, the ridiculous diddy.

Any word on where wee Dan is playing now?

Any manager that signs a five foot ten goalie (who had the body of a 15 year old) has serious issues.

He was playing for a Czech team called Viktoria Zizkov, who are in the 3rd tier of their football system.

Any word on where wee Dan is playing now?

Any manager that signs a five foot ten goalie (who had the body of a 15 year old) has serious issues.

If you are still referring to Baraclough, then it was actually McCall who signed Twardzik (twice).