2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I never knew that. What did he say was the reason behind him not going?

I don't know - all I can say for a fact is that he was talking about going to Rotherham with Stubbs.

@CrosshillWell, I know he has signed a new deal and the first thing I did was look at the timeline between his deal and the announcement of Stubbs signing for Rotherham. The timeline is close - we'll never know what conversations were going on between McManus and Stubbs at the end of May unless one of them spills the beans.

McManus got a lot better once McGhee came in I thought.

Is he's about to take the Josh Law scapegoat role?

I find it fascinating the amount of people on this board the have myopia when it comes to our senior players. You'd think that season 2014/2015 never happened.

And you'd think that 2015/2016 through until February hadn't happened either. Way too many of our senior players put in a series of dire, disgraceful performances - the best compliment delivered to Josh Law was that he was the only player that didn't hide during the worst of the Baraclough reign. By dint, our senior players went missing in action for months.

That seven in nine performance at the end of season was magic to behold, but I fear we are kidding ourselves that the serious, endemic problems in the team have been solved by re-signing the senior players that led us to the verge of relegation once, and fearing it at the start of this year.

I find it fascinating the amount of people on this board the have myopia when it comes to our senior players. You'd think that season 2014/2015 never happened.

And you'd think that 2015/2016 through until February hadn't happened either. Way too many of our senior players put in a series of dire, disgraceful performances - the best compliment delivered to Josh Law was that he was the only player that didn't hide during the worst of the Baraclough reign. By dint, our senior players went missing in action for months.

That seven in nine performance at the end of season was magic to behold, but I fear we are kidding ourselves that the serious, endemic problems in the team have been solved by re-signing the senior players that led us to the verge of relegation once, and fearing it at the start of this year.

And yet that despite the numerous opportunities that the several different managers have had to cut the likes of McManus, Lasley and Hammell loose the contract offers kept on coming.

And yes you can look at a twelve/eighteen month period where it got near the knuckle where those players were involved. Or you can also look at the other finishes and achievements they've contributed to as senior professionals over the three, eight and ten year periods they've had at the club.

A succession plan is more desperately required than ever, no argument with that whatsoever, but to have summarily dismissed them all in one feel swoop in the summer would I suspect been have as counter productive for McGhee now as it was for Harri Kampman and his sweeping out of Coyne, Arnott, Martin and Philliben etc all those years ago.

The clock is ticking but those senior players are worthy of their new deals and are entitled to continue to demonstrate they merit a place whilst hopefully the next batch of youngsters or signings make the decision making process an easier one next time around.

• Like 2

McMannus is one of the highest earners at Fir Park and a former Scotland captain with Champions League experience.

I've never thought he was particularly great, but I've been very disappointed in his time at the club.

I've seen him play dreadfully under McCall and Barraclough equally. Yes, he had a good last few months, but I've judged him over the entire time he's been at Fir Park.

He now seems stuck on to feature next season but I'd rather the other players get a shout at forming a partnership together, rather than with McMannus.

So, thats both Stephen Robinson and Josh Law departed for pastures new at Oldham. The Latics website thanks us, as a club, for being professional. Thats good to hear. However I hope thats not a coded way of saying we rolled over and gave them what they wanted as a club. Don't get me wrong I've no problem with either man moving on and good luck to them. However both were under contract to us and I sincerely hope that they will be compensating us accordingly. I don't think we're due a fortune and Josh Law did want to move on but we are entitled to a modest amount I would have thought; maybe in the region £50K - £100k.