2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Somebody is lying.

I suspect, and hope, it's the newspapers.

Did we get a few for Pearson? He still had a year left so if not, why not?

Same with McDonald. If he wants to go, the other club are going to have to pay for him. Anything else from our point of view would be madness.

He has got what, another year or two left as a professional footballer? He also has a young family who he might be keen to raise on Oz.

I'd rather let him go than have a sulking Scott McDonald hanging about, being negative.

He'll be a loss, but, like the Higdon reference earlier, he has done well for us but I'd rather we recruit others like we have this summer. Young, ambitious and with a sell on value.

Somebody is lying.

I suspect, and hope, it's the newspapers.

Did we get a few for Pearson? He still had a year left so if not, why not?

Same with McDonald. If he wants to go, the other club are going to have to pay for him. Anything else from our point of view would be madness.

"the club have been compensated for releasing him."

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/06/29/pearson-departs-for-india/

My take on McDonald is that he had the option of leaving or extending his contract. He was told we didn't want him/couldn't afford him so it would be best if he found another club. McDonald agreed a deal with Hibs which fell through at the last minute so he exercised his option to re-sign with us. Looks like he's still available to other clubs and we'd be happy to rip up the contract to free up his wage. May be way off the mark though...

I'm still not getting the "option to sign with us".

Is there such a thing as an employment contract where an employee has an option to force an employer to hire them? If there is, I'd like to be CEO of Apple, please.

He has got what, another year or two left as a professional footballer? He also has a young family who he might be keen to raise on Oz.

I'd rather let him go than have a sulking Scott McDonald hanging about, being negative.

He'll be a loss, but, like the Higdon reference earlier, he has done well for us but I'd rather we recruit others like we have this summer. Young, ambitious and with a sell on value.

Agree

• Like 1

My take on McDonald is that he had the option of leaving or extending his contract. He was told we didn't want him/couldn't afford him so it would be best if he found another club. McDonald agreed a deal with Hibs which fell through at the last minute so he exercised his option to re-sign with us. Looks like he's still available to other clubs and we'd be happy to rip up the contract to free up his wage. May be way off the mark though...

Aye, interesting choice of phrase from Alan Burrows. The club have not received an offer or an enquiry from any other club at this time and he is a contracted player. Doesn't say that McDonald hasn't asked to leave and the phrase "at this time" is just asking people to speculate...

If an opportunity to head to Sydney has suddenly arisen, I'd wish him well. I'd also expect the club to be accommodating given his service to the club. Nevertheless, to let him leave without a transfer fee, however nominal that may be, would be hugely disappointing.

Clearly though, the Keith Jackson story is at odds with Burrows tweet this morning. Would like to think Burrows is more trustworthy than the journalist that celebrate Craig Whyte as a multi millionaire.

• Like 1

If an opportunity to head to Sydney has suddenly arisen, I'd wish him well. I'd also expect the club to be accommodating given his service to the club. Nevertheless, to let him leave without a transfer fee, however nominal that may be, would be hugely disappointing.

Clearly though, the Keith Jackson story is at odds with Burrows tweet this morning. Would like to think Burrows is more trustworthy than the journalist that celebrate Craig Whyte as a multi millionaire.

Billionaire no?

Aye, interesting choice of phrase from Alan Burrows. The club have not received an offer or an enquiry from any other club at this time and he is a contracted player. Doesn't say that McDonald hasn't asked to leave and the phrase "at this time" is just asking people to speculate...

there's nothing to stop a club making an approach so I'd have said qualifying the statement with "at this time" is perfectly fair. Who knows a club may come in for McDonald.

As it stands what Burrows has said seems a reasonable appraisal.

- McDonald is a contracted player.

- The club have not received any offers for him.

- The club have not received any enquiries about him.

Wealth was off the radar I heard...

Maybe just me but why do we seem to be the only team that almost broadcasts that we are struggling financially. All other teams sign players and get on with it while we always seem to talk about freeing up a wage or can't sign anyone else. I never realised that so much depended on that cup defeat to Albion Rovers!!! heh he...COYW

• Like 1

I've heard plenty of managers say stuff along the lines of "we'd like to bring in one more, but that will depend on moving one or two on first" or "we couldn't afford to keep so and so"

As for McDonald, is there any chance we can wait till something actually happens before we all start freaking out at the club? At this point in time there seems to be no substance in the story.

I've heard plenty of managers say stuff along the lines of "we'd like to bring in one more, but that will depend on moving one or two on first" or "we couldn't afford to keep so and so"

As for McDonald, is there any chance we can wait till something actually happens before we all start freaking out at the club? At this point in time there seems to be no substance in the story.

Hence why I said

"if."

You know, on this particular occasion, he would have something of a point. To not ask for a fee for a player who had just signed a new contract would leave the club open to question if it came to pass...

It all depends on what deal skippy signed up to for the year? The club may say yes to releasing him from the contract if the rumours are true to free up the wages and bring in another player on less money hence saving a few quid. If there is a transfer fee involved as well then all the better.

McDonald has been a great asset to the club over the years so i would not grudge him a move back home if he is up for it, and if the deal results in the club making and / or saving a few quid tben all the better.

Quelle surprise. He's chief sports reporter at the rag who claimed amongst other recent tall tales that Jacob Blyth had stated "Rangers were League One in England material" when the player himself corrected them.

• Like 1

It all depends on what deal skippy signed up to for the year? The club may say yes to releasing him from the contract if the rumours are true to free up the wages and bring in another player on less money hence saving a few quid. If there is a transfer fee involved as well then all the better.

McDonald has been a great asset to the club over the years so i would not grudge him a move back home if he is up for it, and if the deal results in the club making and / or saving a few quid tben all the better.

If we release a key player from his contract without a fee being involved, it would make the club look bad. If freeing up his wage would allow us to bring a midfielder in, great but then we'd also be looking for another striker as having Moult, Blyth and Mackin would, for me, leave us a bit threadbare and one dimensional up front...

Quelle surprise. He's chief sports reporter at the rag who claimed amongst other recent tall tales that Jacob Blyth had stated "Rangers were League One in England material" when the player himself corrected them.

What was his correction? League Two?

• Like 3

If we release a key player from his contract without a fee being involved, it would make the club look bad. If freeing up his wage would allow us to bring a midfielder in, great but then we'd also be looking for another striker as having Moult, Blyth and Mackin would, for me, leave us a bit threadbare and one dimensional up front...

How so? Don't think it is as simplistic as that. Suspect it would be described as the fated "undisclosed". Any monies received may well be to offset any contractual issue involving the player so the club unlikely to profit in the short term. Or are some just expecting the player to move on without settling the contract?

Your second point is on the money, McGhoo doesn't do one-dimensional so would expect transfer dealings.