Ross County V Motherwell Wed 11 May 19:45

Yabba's Turd

While I can see McGhee's point that players lose that edge once they meet their goals, it's still disappointing to see a season peter out. All the more so when the difference in prize money can make a big difference to a club like ours.

Hopefully we can regroup for a win,

While I can see McGhee's point that players lose that edge once they meet their goals, it's still disappointing to see a season peter out.

Presumably then St Johnstone's goals were higher than ours this season? You could well be right.

If out of contract players and senior ones at that have been offered lesser terms, you do wonder how motivated they will be on a midweek trip up to Dingwall.

Despite the sizeable achievement of finishing in the top half, it would be hugely disappointing and costly to have been in 4th and drop to 6th. Would settle for 5th. If for nothing else it would still p1ss me off finishing 4th and there being no Euro place.

Presumably then St Johnstone's goals were higher than ours this season? You could well be right.

Our first goal was to avoid relegation this season and it took a change of manager and half a season to even get that moving. But we got there. Then it was top 6. Which we managed. Then it was Europe in 4th. But Europe was taken out of the equation. At that point, I think that is when motivation dropped - even if it was only subconcsiously; it's often difficult to find that edge.

It takes a huge effort to stop a slide. You can look north and south of the border to see that. Many teams have gone into decline and never recovered. So full credit to everyone to make 4th a possibility.

It's disappointing if we fade away the last few games, but let's be honest - if we'd offered 5th or 6th in December or January, we'd have sold our granny to get that.

StAndrew7: don't worry, there's a couple of good butchers in Dingwall: venison sausages and black puddings, etc.

And I think we'll win. Ross County have become a team of play-acters and time-wasters, probably under the influence of Billy Dodds rather than Jim McIntyre, admittedly. For this reason alone I'd love to beat them: they're far too cynical for my liking.

Surely the players will still want to play for Mark McGhee? It took Laing half of the season to get back in his good books, after all. I saw a report that he was on the point of jacking it in at one point.