League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

It does give the opportunity for some nice away trips in possibly decent weather - a wee taster of summer football.

Or you could get drawn to visit some dump (I admit opposition fans may not think too highly of a trip to Motherwell).

• Like 1

I think it is definitely interesting and revamping what is a pretty pointless competition into something a wee bit different. Can understand some of the negativity associated with it, but very much for giving it a go to see how it plays out. Even like the penalty shoot-out bonus point idea.

For years we have been crying out for changing up the League Cup and this a complete overhaul. Hopefully it is a success and the powers that be can look at bringing back a Europa League place for the winners, at the expense of the 4th placed team. That will surely generate more interest.

• Like 1

Just read a wee bit about the new format, hadn't realised they were introducing a bonus point in draws.

"The group stage uses the traditional three points for a win and one point for a draw model however, in another innovation, all drawn matches will go straight to a penalty shoot-out whereby the winner of the shoot-out will be awarded a bonus point, believed to be a first in world football."

Could make it quite interesting!

This seems like the worst Idea ever. I hate change to the basics of football.

See how it pans out though.

For years we have been crying out for changing up the League Cup and this a complete overhaul. Hopefully it is a success and the powers that be can look at bringing back a Europa League place for the winners, at the expense of the 4th placed team. That will surely generate more interest.

There is no Europa place for the 4th placed team, currently.

The three Europa spots go to the Cup winners, 2nd and 3rd place. I can't see clubs voting to give up a European league place to give to a Cup, particularly with Rangers in the league now (only a matter of time until it's Celtic/Rangers 1-2 evey season).

Not even sure if UEFA would allow it, anyway.

I think it is definitely interesting and revamping what is a pretty pointless competition into something a wee bit different. Can understand some of the negativity associated with it, but very much for giving it a go to see how it plays out. Even like the penalty shoot-out bonus point idea.

If we got a day at hampden and a piece of silverwear i wouldn't be bothered about Europe .

European place is a nice reward for a team having a good long season and finishing 2nd or 3rd.

Agree it sound like another half baked idea, so you win in 90 mins and get 3 points, or win after a pen shoot out and only get 2 points, WTF is that all about.

Agree it sound like another half baked idea, so you win in 90 mins and get 3 points, or win after a pen shoot out and only get 2 points, WTF is that all about.

Actually, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound as bad as the official spiel about getting a 'bonus' point for winning a shoot out. Still don't really like the sound of it, though.

Similar idea to ice hockey; they did away with 'Tie' games in the NHL and went for a shootout after a 5 minute Over Time and it meant there was always an extra point up for grabs if the game went the full distance.

I understand it in a sport like hockey where there's 82 games a season and winning shootouts/OT games could make the difference or not to making the playoffs, but in a sport like football (even in a group structure like this) it seems a bit tacky/not relevant as much.

True.

However it could throw up a situation where say we and Rangers have both won our first 3 games and it goes to the game against each other. Draw after 90 mins. Penalty shoot out to decide the group winner. Although I guess in that situation you'd likely go through as one of the best runners up.

F*ck it its worth a try

• Like 1

I am looking forward to it as well. Something different and worth a try.

Wouldn't expect it to be on the season ticket nowadays. Such is life and that's fine with me personally.

Don't know if they use it in Scotland but I like the 10 point format they use here in youth soccer tournaments.

6 points for a win

3 points for a draw

1 point per goal up to 3

1 point for a shut out

3-0 winner gets 10 points loser nil

0-0 draw both teams get 4 point

3-3 draw both teams get 6 points

1-0 winner gets 8 points

4-3 winner gets 9 points loser gets 3 points

Edit: I did also like the old league cup format of 4 in a group home and away, followed by 2 leg knock out ties then semis and final at Hampden. I remember Morton beating us 3-0 at Cappielow then we beat them 3-0 at fir park. Replay at Ibrox Jumbo muir scoring the winner with a header, altohugh I think he may actually have fell over someone which helped him get his head onto it.

I think format's got potential to be quite intriguing and actually more chance for smaller teams with 3 points being awarded in each game however carved up. So previously 1 90min win and 1 90 min loss = 3pts against 2x 90 min draws = 2pts. Now a couple of draws and one/two penalty shootout lottery wins = 3/4pts.

I'm inclined to think tactics may be less to play for draw and risk other team getting extra point than go for win in 90 mins.

I think format's got potential to be quite intriguing and actually more chance for smaller teams with 3 points being awarded in each game however carved up. So previously 1 90min win and 1 90 min loss = 3pts against 2x 90 min draws = 2pts. Now a couple of draws and one/two penalty shootout lottery wins = 3/4pts.

I'm inclined to think tactics may be less to play for draw and risk other team getting extra point than go for win in 90 mins.

The only sensible tactics should be the same as they have always been ie go out and win the game then the other team gets feck all points. All this extra points for pen shoot out wins stuff is bollocks.

• Like 2

They've stolen that idea from ice hockey. But, I'm with you - as soon as you start mucking around with football like that then it isn't really proper football

It's 21 years since 3 points for a win came in, can't see the bonus point system in the league cup lasting that long. It's not the 1st innovation to be tried in a minor competition though, the older will remember those offside lines from the early 70's.

I obviously don't (young n that). But do you mean like on a subbuteo pitch?