Scottish League Cup - First Round Motherwell V Rangers Sat 16 Jul 15:00

texanwellfan

Not taking our chances in the first half was a mixture of poor decision making, awful finishing and chronic crossing. In the second we stood off them, gave them too much respect and didn't harry them enough. They would have made plenty mistakes with players closing them down, they aren't that good. As someone I spoke to succinctly put it ..... we played the club rather than the team.

Teams like ICT go to Glasgow and get results because their mindset is the latter opposed to the former.

I did wonder what McGhee's mindset is at present. I saw one interview where he said that everything was geared up to the 6th of August, I thought it strange as we had competitive games coming up. Then I watched him being interviewed at Dalziel Park by Betfred where he said, "Lets be honest, we're not going to win the league, but both cups are up for grabs."

Answer me this you arse, why contradict yourself with respect to today's game and why gave that shower as much respect?

Far from a McGee fan here but I understand what he's saying. Expect a little and make the players prove him wrong. Psychology I think

Very very little between the teams and I'm not downbeat. Early doors and with better finishing we will be fine. That will come with games. Let's not forget the season hasn't even really started yet. Keep the faith

We should have been out of sight at half time. 6 glorious chances and none taken.

2nd half was a really weak performance, very disappointing. Guys like Ainsworth and Johnson hid and failed to take any responsibility, Chalmers wont do, Hammy is done and sadly I think wee Thomas just flatters to deceive and just isn't strong enough.

Plus side on the new guys, I think we have a right back, the boy Tait looks decent, Heneghan looks a bit raw but did ok and McHugh looks ok and will get better. I thought McDonald did well and worked his arse off as did Cadden.

We need to get Moult fit otherwise I think we'll struggle for goals, the big 1980s throwback striker we have from Leicester didn't look great but obviously needs time.

p1sh poor support, fair play to the fans who made it.

Really 1 game and the league hasn't started

Not taking our chances in the first half was a mixture of poor decision making, awful finishing and chronic crossing. In the second we stood off them, gave them too much respect and didn't harry them enough. They would have made plenty mistakes with players closing them down, they aren't that good. As someone I spoke to succinctly put it ..... we played the club rather than the team.

Teams like ICT go to Glasgow and get results because their mindset is the latter opposed to the former.

I did wonder what McGhee's mindset is at present. I saw one interview where he said that everything was geared up to the 6th of August, I thought it strange as we had competitive games coming up. Then I watched him being interviewed at Dalziel Park by Betfred where he said, "Lets be honest, we're not going to win the league, but both cups are up for grabs."

Answer me this you arse, why contradict yourself with respect to today's game and why gave that shower as much respect?

I must have amnesia , I thought we beat celtic last season at there hovel.

• Like 1

It isn't an exaggeration to say we had 8 excellent chances.

Could easily have been 2 or 3 up inside 20 mins

With regard the possession it was obvious we were letting them have the ball and trying to expose them on the break with pace, hence the 2 wingers.

The Rangers though, what a bunch.

Either I went to the wrong game or I know less about the game than I should but Warburton after match comments said tha Rangers were in complete control after 15 minutes of the game!!!

Thats about the time it became clear we didnt have our shooting boots on.

Warburton has to keep 40k+ morons onside,he'll say what they want to hear.

Either I went to the wrong game or I know less about the game than I should but Warburton after match comments said tha Rangers were in complete control after 15 minutes of the game!!!

We dominated the first 15-20 minutes, then there was about another 15 minutes where Rangers started to come back into it. By 35 minutes they had command of the match, so he's about 20 minutes out.

Did he mention anything them being potentially 6-0 down at HT?

Yes the away end looked pretty full. Poor turnout for us, however, it is still holiday time in a cup competition we rarely perform well in.

In this day and age fans don't buy home match tickets. If it's not on the season ticket people aren't going to go out of their way to either a) get a ticket or b) pay the extra expense of other tickets and people can't just come along and pay at the gate.

Quite interested to hear McGhee's post match, suggests that the wide 433 is pretty much the shape he's going with and other than the odd change he's not looking at rotation for the Annan game.

Given he's chopped and changed personnel and shape in the pre-season games up until now you'd hope that establishing a preferred system and XI will benefit everyone.

Presumably with Moult needing his surgery this is a pretty massive opportunity for Ainsworth.

Come on you can say it. Hammy was at fault for both goals. It capped a truly awful performance by him. The thought of another 2 years of that is enough to ask for a refund on ones season ticket.

You can say it. And you do. In about 75% of your posts.

Little surprise that your first contribution to the forum in months is to re-emerge to have a pop at Hammell but I will concede that, having yet to see the goals again to see if he's as culpable as you suggest, even before their goals my attention was drawn to how many times he came inside leaving the left hand side of our defence seriously exposed.

Going by the TV pictures there seemed to be a very poor Motherwell support. Any idea how many where there?

I think the crowd was 6900. They had circa 4000 which meant we had 2900. I can even do maths.

It was on TV during summer holidays. So no surprise. BUT - we do struggle to get any half

decent support these days.

7500 in the play offs - makes you wonder where the 4500 glory hunters go when we need them

Quite interested to hear McGhee's post match, suggests that the wide 433 is pretty much the shape he's going with and other than the odd change he's not looking at rotation for the Annan game.

Given he's chopped and changed personnel and shape in the pre-season games up until now you'd hope that establishing a preferred system and XI will benefit everyone.

Presumably with Moult needing his surgery this is a pretty massive opportunity for Ainsworth.

Think we would have been in trouble if we had a match in midweek. Players tired in the latter stages of the first half.

East Stirling at home should be an opportunity to use a few younger players. Maybe give Thomas and Campbell a start.