Scottish League Cup - First Round Motherwell V Rangers Sat 16 Jul 15:00

texanwellfan

Think this is very unfair on Thomas. He came on in a game where we were being completely dominated in the middle of the field, a match where we were almost defending our 6 yard line at points. Thomas was the one player who wanted to get forward every time he got the ball. He had very little support when the team was sitting so deep.

It's also worth noting that Dom Thomas, and this is off the top of my head but I think it is correct, has had 2 first team starts in his entire career. Start him in front of Ainsworth. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out but you have to give the guy a chance before you write him off.

Yes......he's had his chance this season ........26 minutes

Give the boy a chance

Agree with everything that's been said about Thomas. There was one moment when he came on that he beat a man or two and played the ball and it contributed to a good attacking move. Other than that I think he got dispossessed trying to do too much every time. Hopefully McGhee and the other coaches can get him to look up more, like Johnson should be doing too.

That is the point I suspect Ya Bezzer is getting at though. He needs greater exposure to the first team to help improve attributes like his decision making. First team defenders are a world away from the guys he's been used to facing and often beating in the 20's in the past.

It's only through repeatedly testing himself against the older, more physical, more worldly wise will he become more adept at knowing what's on and what's not, and when.

The good thing is I that think he's going to get more of an opportunity this season to do it.

I agree that Thomas has had limited first team chances however the fact of the matter is when he does get a chance he has done nothing. He consistently gets the ball and tries to beat numerous men and 9/10 loses the ball. He has been in the first team squad for quite some time now and if his performances don't change I would look to loan him out to a championship side.

One of the best products of our youth system in recent times is Jamie Murphy. He wasn't an overnight success it took him a couple of seasons coming off the bench and then a couple more seasons to develop into the player he was in his latter time at the club.

There is far too much impatience and rush to write people off. Dom Thomas is a talented player but he needs to be given a chance to reach his potential both by management and fans.

Dom Thomas is a player who is young and who should be developing. When you put Thomas in, you aren't putting a fully formed footballer into the team and you don't judge in the same way as a player with 100 first team appearances. You don't judge him over 15 minutes or 90 minutes, you judge him over a season, two seasons by how well he develops his talent against his exposure to first team experience.

He's 20 years old now and if we are going to give him a chance it has to be now. As well as being impatience, we are also far too conservative about getting young players in the team. They should be getting that chance at 18, 19 never mind in the case of Thomas or Moore at 20, 21 and still lingering around the bench if at all.

Get them in the team, give them a chance and give them a break!

How many goals/assists has Dom Thomas got to his name in the first team?

There's no doubt he has talent, but I think he needs a run of 15-20 first team games. The constant 20-30 minute cameos don't seem to be doing too much for him just now.

I think a loan spell until the New Year at Championship level could be the making of him.

If we don't sell Marvin, I think a loan move for Thomas would be wise. It worked out relatively well for Erwin.

It's hard to judge him on substitute appearances but from what I've seen he goes from being an absolute standout at u20 level to struggling to impose his style against more experienced and stronger opposition at first team level. Gifted footballer there if we are patient with him.

How many goals/assists has Dom Thomas got to his name in the first team?

There's no doubt he has talent, but I think he needs a run of 15-20 first team games. The constant 20-30 minute cameos don't seem to be doing too much for him just now.

I think a loan spell until the New Year at Championship level could be the making of him.

I make it two assists and zero goals. He didn't get any last season and the season before I'm sure he set up two for Sutton in 2014/15 (1-1 draw with St. Johnstone, 5-0 win over St. Mirren). I expected him to be further developed by now and I think he probably has stalled due to a lack of consecutive starts, or even just starts in general. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place in regards to that, having very little depth to the squad.

My only criticism of Saturday's setup is Chalmers in central midfield. He played reasonably well, as in you could get away with him there for a game to do the simple things, but I don't think playing him there is any kind of solution, short or long term. I really don't know what the harm in playing someone like Allan Campbell in there would have been on Saturday. That said, I was convinced we'd play Skippy in midfield and start Blyth.

Edit: the one against St. Mirren came off the keeper before McDonald shot and then Sutton netted the rebound, perhaps a bit rich calling that an assist- so one.

Except he doesn't spend most of his time injured.

At least if he was injured he would have an excuse for not producing. How many seasons is that now that we have been waiting for him to step up and make his mark on the 1st team and he never has.

He doesn't have the pace to run at a team from the half way line the way Marvin can. Unfortunately on Saturday he was getting the ball in his own half or around the half way line most of the time so when he did beat players he would get caught up again or run into more players. With more game time we'll hopefully see Thomas get more possession around the box to see what he can do with it.

My one concern at the moment is that players will learn they can stand off him and then out muscle him.

• Like 2

At least if he was injured he would have an excuse for not producing. How many seasons is that now that we have been waiting for him to step up and make his mark on the 1st team and he never has.

I love it when our fans clamour for young players to be brought through, but complain when they don't have an instant impact.

He doesn't need an "excuse" - he needs development and game time (and, perish the thought, maybe a little support).

• Like 4

Mental. If you haven't made it by 20, cheerio? Aye, that'll make Motherwell the go-to club for young prospects.

:lol: Inches from disaster. It's a pie, no a tomahawk.

It can be anything you like, if it hits the player on the head and goes in the referees report. Throwing any missile on to the park at a player is not on, especially now when our fans are under severe scrutiny.

But I guess some of our supporters just don't get it which is why we are in this situation.

Instead of folk complaining about players getting hut with pies I think we should be more concerned about the Police action on Saturday.

This is now getting to tipping point where people are going to start voting with their feet (if they already haven't) The OTT actions by the Police on Saturday summed up the way our support and many others has been treated in the last year or so. Absoutely not on.

Has anyone had any word from the club about what their findings are? I've tweeted various times but no findings as of yet. If the club agrees with the fan's position then they need to make this clear in a strongly worded statement to Police Scotland as well as the media to put exposure on this. This sort of situation has been on the go for far too long.

The match plan when we play at Ipox is we - the away team - are held back 15+min, id have expected them to be held back rather than us.

Quite.

Especially given their entire support was in one place,easy to contain and alot of our fans had already left.

Did seem a bizarre decision.

Especially with the hindsight of Rangers late goal. The Rangers fans were still celebrating at the final whistle, the majority were in no rush to go anywhere.

The majority of the Motherwell support would've been out the way by the time the south stand emptied. In fact, a fair chunk of the home support was already heading for the exits when they decided to do this.

No idea what they were trying to do, other than justify there overtime.

Perhaps at the next game we should refuse to leave until the away fans are all safely up the road?

:lol:

I must admit that the second goal was my cue to storm to the exit in a huff so whilst I did cast a glance at the group of yellow jaikets and fans the top of the East Stand it was only seeing videos later did it register what was actually happening.

sbmfc, a couple of posts above, has already succinctly expressed the daftness of what some have speculated to have been a pre-determined manoeuvre on the part of the police. It would be interesting to know if this was indeed the case. The very fact that they undertook this action as sbmc says when the East Stand was naturally clearing of its own accord lends some weight to the suggestion that it might well have been. It has also been hinted at by one or two that this was at the request or at least had the approval of MFC itself - a suggestion I would like to think would be completely unfounded.

By holding a number of Motherwell fans back when the stand was emptying they've actually made it more likely that they would meet Rangers fans outside the ground, which seems almost as stupid as the idea to hold folk back in the first place.

For older 'Well fans it will also bring back memories of similar experiences in the past. Former regular posters on here (and fanzine editors) MJ and Steve Diggle both wrote and included pieces in the past in their publications about the battles Motherwell fans had to secure and then grow a section in the old shed; the frustrations that came with being hemmed in with no toilet and catering facilities and then being kept in at the end whilst the visiting Old Firm hordes goaded you as they slowly ambled out. Saturday was a concerning and totally unnecessary return to that practice.

Doubtless the club wouldn't have the authority over the police to insist on what they do and don't do in the ground but for the re-assurance of supporters it would be good if there was some form of comment on the matter and a commitment that when we, the home club occupy three stands to the visiting club's one, that it won't be any of our supporters who are held back, if indeed any fans are to be delayed their exit.