Scottish League Cup - South Group F Stranraer V Motherwell Sat 30 Jul 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Credit to the manager and players for winning comfortably today and qualifying for the next round. Good to see Chris Cadden come onto a game. Does anyone know how Clay fared?

Interestingly Clay was being linked with Lincoln City earlier this afternoon (via BBC Humberside). Think the suggestion came from Nathan Arnold an ex-Grimsby player who's just signed for Lincoln.

Decent trip with very good weather.

Cadden was the standout today and drove us on in the 2nd half. Delighted to progress but our midfield continues to be of some concern, the central 2 were anonymous for the bulk of the game and we're relying on the running power of Cadden, Johnson and Ainsworth to do the business.

Heneghan continues to impress while Tait is settling in reasonably well. Surprised McHugh didn't feature today.

Tait to me looks like the right back we have been looking for. He knows the job he has to do and does it without any fuss.

Cadden continues to impress but Skippy today looked to me like he had been forced to play while carrying an injury, He was off the pace all game and his only contribution was to head the ball into the net for his goal.

Anyway roll on the draw for the next round.

• Like 1

Not a good game to watch and if our tactics this season are to soak up the pressure and hit teams in the break then God help us.

Given McGhee's tactics of playing 3 up front last season, and it's relative success, I don't see why he'd change it this season. Would be good if we could change shape from time to time, though, as 3 up top won't work every week.

Not a good game to watch and if our tactics this season are to soak up the pressure and hit teams in the break then God help us.

I assume that our options are somewhat limited at the moment with both Moult and Blyth out injured and a vacancy for an attacking midfielder. For these reasons the League Cup may not prove the best indication of our future tactics.

Given McGhee's tactics of playing 3 up front last season, and it's relative success, I don't see why he'd change it this season. Would be good if we could change shape from time to time, though, as 3 up top won't work every week.

It's not that I don't like 3 up front, more that I hate leaving no one up front when defending which in turn leaves no get out option - most clearances just come straight back again.

Also hate that we appear to defend as wide as the 18 yard box and also concede the wings.

• Like 1

It's not that I don't like 3 up front, more that I hate leaving no one up front when defending which in turn leaves no get out option - most clearances just come straight back again.

Also hate that we appear to defend as wide as the 18 yard box and also concede the wings.

Couldn't agree more. Its concerning that that we can play 5 men in the midfield and still get caught out down the wings. The recent Rangers game comes to mind.

Couldn't agree more. Its concerning that that we can play 5 men in the midfield and still get caught out down the wings. The recent Rangers game comes to mind.

I would't rush to judgement on anything based on our first competitive game in the middle of a preseason with new defenders.

If we are still doing it in September, that's a different story.

I would't rush to judgement on anything based on our first competitive game in the middle of a preseason with new defenders.

If we are still doing it in September, that's a different story.

Sorry, not the best use of an example. We were playing like this season too but the most recent example was in the Rangers game. Our full backs do suffer from lack of cover in front of them and as we play narrowly, then opponents have the time and space to run at them or if they prefer whip over crosses.