Scottish League Cup - Second Round Celtic V Motherwell Wed 10 Aug 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Not saying it's alright to lose badly because it's Celtic but given the difference in budget and resources, it can happen. The nature of the defeat leaves a bad taste in the mouth but realistically we're not competing with them...

We certainly will never compete with them in singular games with the attitude and complete lack of belief we far too often show against the OF

I am by no means a pessimist but I expected a gubbing tonight. It was Brendan Rodgers first competitive home game and it was a cup tie .... there was no way Celtic weren't gonna be at it tonight.

I understand people's frustrations, there were few who deserved pass marks, the manner of the defeat always hurts and the fact that we're out the cup is scunnering.

However, there should be no jumping to conclusions about the quality of the new signings based on that tonight. Sinclair had Tait on toast from the off and that very slow midfield were swamped throughout. The true measure will be against our contemporaries.

Yeh, the change of system can leave the manager open for ridicule, but he and Craggs called it right afterwards, they should have done better with the ball when they had it. Passing was poor and the second touch was a tackle. Marvin looked like he had the wrong studs on and nothing came off for Cads despite his best efforts.

But in context, that was a master class from Celtic tonight and they will hand out some serious cuffing this season. Rogic, Dembele and Sinclair were truly outstanding !!!

Onwards and upwards....and although it's really fuckin hard to sometimes....keep the faith!!!

• Like 1

I thought Celtic were excellent tonight. Rogic and Sinclair were just about unplayable - they sprayed it wide and we were all over the place. I thought our team shape was trying to be robust but have an attacking threat but they put so much pressure on us and we made so many mistakes on the ball we ended up hemmed in and far too deep. For us to do anything there we need to keep the ball and utilise our pace better - I think another body in midfield would have made a huge difference to us breaking the play down. Clay and Lasley may have done it but thew found it so easy v Tait and Hammell they didn't have any barriers wide so just ran at them.

Heneghan falling back in at the first one was criminal. The penalty was not a stonewaller but Tait tackled with the wrong foot and bundled him with his shoulder which made it look like a penalty. The third was an absolute beaut but Tait needs to try and force him down the wing - far too easy to curl home.

Not being too upset - I don't think we were great but I think Celtic being excellent was more of a bearing on the score than us being rancid. Suspect if we'd played McHugh we'd have had a smarter shape.

• Like 1

I thought Celtic were excellent tonight. Rogic and Sinclair were just about unplayable - they sprayed it wide and we were all over the place. I thought our team shape was trying to be robust but have an attacking threat but they put so much pressure on us and we made so many mistakes on the ball we ended up hemmed in and far too deep. For us to do anything there we need to keep the ball and utilise our pace better - I think another body in midfield would have made a huge difference to us breaking the play down. Clay and Lasley may have done it but thew found it so easy v Tait and Hammell they didn't have any barriers wide so just ran at them.

Heneghan falling back in at the first one was criminal. The penalty was not a stonewaller but Tait tackled with the wrong foot and bundled him with his shoulder which made it look like a penalty. The third was an absolute beaut but Tait needs to try and force him down the wing - far too easy to curl home.

Not being too upset - I don't think we were great but I think Celtic being excellent was more of a bearing on the score than us being rancid. Suspect if we'd played McHugh we'd have had a smarter shape.

sorry mate that just smacks of the usual apologist viewpoint the entire football establishment in scotland wallow in.

Heavy, heavy minter, that.

Seen a lot of people talking up how great celtic were. Its dead easy to be good when we don't put in a challenge for ten minutes at a time.

Very poor, very disappointing.

My question is that are we genuinely that bad to merit a 5-0 drubbing? Regardless of who we were playing..

We were last night.

Celtic had a strong team out last night with a £4million signing up front. Even the £1/4 million they paid for Dembele dwarfs anything we can spend.

Disappointed we didn't have a go other than 10 minutes in the second half, but seeing how easily they cut through us when we did get forward, maybe for the best.

sorry mate that just smacks of the usual apologist viewpoint the entire football establishment in scotland wallow in.

I think we made loads of mistakes last night BUT my point was the players made them - even if we had a different shape at least eight of the players would have been the same and likely been unable to pass, tackle etc. Sinclair v Tait was just an absolute mis-match that put a tonne of pressure on our whole defence and I can't imagine a shape we were ever likely to start with that didn't include that battle. McGhee could have made different decisions but the players either didn't perform or aren't good enough to play in a scenario where the pressure is relentless.

after the 7-0 game and that last night which imo was worse i won't be back too watch us at parkhead anytime soon.i wasn't expecting us too get through but there's always that bit of hope but that was gone in no time as it was blatantly obvious early on we had no ambition of making a game of it,bringing in chalmer's who is out his depth at the best of times into a game like this is a waste of time.we still seem too have the same problems in midfield as we did last season and having seen clay three times now,i hope im wrong but he looks pretty poor.it's early days but as professionals the management and players should be scunnered with that performance last night and hopefully because of that we see a positive reaction on saturday.

I always go into the season with optimism about the cup and am always the one saying could be our year well it wont be if mcghees the manager

Every time we play the OF we dont play our game we just sit off them and take it and on occasion when we fluke a result hes almost apologetic. We wont win anything under him will do alright against other provisional.teams just tired off him now

And yes the players were terrible last night but they are arrying out his instructions full blame goes on mcghee who makes the same mistake every game

The worst of it is is if we played our game we might cause them some problems and register shots at their goal and scrape a result occasionally

Even when its not the OF we play ok for 60 to 80 minutes then sit off them and that caused our losing streak last year and he couldnt correct it in enough time.

As far as saturday goes dont think itll be the positive reaction were hoping for i point back to the games we lost after hearts beat us 6 0 last season

It was all rather depressing. We played poorly and they played well. When that happens a drubbing is no surprise.

Brendan Rogers is a decent Manager, so we will see less lapses from Celtic this season than under Delia.

This league cup campaign has been jinxed from the get go. We pull Rangers from 2nd seeds which ultimately put paid to finishing top seeds. Then when we could have drawn Alloa we draw Celtic away !

Back to the main business on Saturday. But after having beaten Hearts and drawing with Aberdeen St Johnstone seem to have more about them and more solidity than we appear to have. Still we are at home so that must count for something....

I always go into the season with optimism about the cup and am always the one saying could be our year well it wont be if mcghees the manager

Every time we play the OF we dont play our game we just sit off them and take it and on occasion when we fluke a result hes almost apologetic. We wont win anything under him will do alright against other provisional.teams just tired off him now

And yes the players were terrible last night but they are arrying out his instructions full blame goes on mcghee who makes the same mistake every game

The worst of it is is if we played our game we might cause them some problems and register shots at their goal and scrape a result occasionally

Even when its not the OF we play ok for 60 to 80 minutes then sit off them and that caused our losing streak last year and he couldnt correct it in enough time.

As far as saturday goes dont think itll be the positive reaction were hoping for i point back to the games we lost after hearts beat us 6 0 last season

With the greatest of respect mate, that's a load of guff.

• Like 1

I was going to turn it off at 1-0 and did turn off at 2-0 last night. As soon as I heard the 5 at the back gig, I knew the game was lost. Reminiscent of Stevie Hammell in midfield for the Scottish Cup Final a few years back. It's a desperate attempt to simply keep the inevitable defeat respectable. After the Cup final, I sensed a feeling of relief from the players that they had held it to 3, last night, I would not have been surprised if the players and McGhee felt some relief that they kept it at only 5.

I don't think that there will be a team from any division that will go there with the same inferiority complex as we did last night. The tone is set by the manager and the senior players. I had hoped that the play off game might have represented a change in approach to Old Firm games but we are back to the same old approach and mentality.

• Like 3

I don't think that there will be a team from any division that will go there with the same inferiority complex as we did last night. The tone is set by the manager and the senior players. I had hoped that the play off game might have represented a change in approach to Old Firm games but we are back to the same old approach and mentality.

The thing with the playoffs, I don't know how much was down to that being a truly dreadful Rangers team.

Having said that, and we all know how many flaws he had, Baraclough in the run up to the playoffs didn't talk down our chances. Whether that's down to him having nothing to do with Scottish football prior to his arrival and not being indoctrinated into the "we better not show up" mentality, I don't know but our attitude in those games seemed markedly different to our attitude going into games against the Old Firm with other managers who have a background in Scottish football. You would hope that with McGhee's background of playing for Aberdeen when they used to come to Glasgow regularly and win that he wouldn't have an inferiority complex about it but it seems the case.

Would we have won with a different attitude last night? Maybe not. As Tweed pointed out, the match ups weren't in our favour. But perhaps I wouldn't feel as embarrassed this morning. What I take from this thread is that most of us aren't irate about losing or even the margin of defeat, more the manner of the defeat. At no point did we get in their faces and seem to make life difficult for them. That really sticks in the throat...

Sometimes drubbings happen.

However, that was inevitable with our formation-tactics last night.

I've always backed McGhee 100%, but my frustration with him is his thought process of squaring up against superior teams.

He basically gave Celtic full possession and the freedom to attack at will.

In short we basically gave them the platform to showboat the talents they excel in!

McGhee outsmarted himself and the team again.

Look forward to the next encounter and an attacking line up ⚽️

We got gubbed by a far superior team who played well yes we were rank rotten gave them too much respect and stood off them too much but we lost to best team in Scotland by miles we have 3 points out if 3 in league and IMO will be judged by games against teams around us not the old firm . Not making excuses but we need to forget it and move on we're out the cup as expected but for all the people on here saying we always lie down in Glasgow we were only team to win at park head last season and won at ibrox on last visit so get over this and look forward to Saturday

• Like 2

Having said that, and we all know how many flaws he had, Baraclough in the run up to the playoffs didn't talk down our chances.

How many wins did Baraclough get at Celtic Park? Baraclough got a drubbing there, finished bottom six and therefore avoided playing them again. McGhee has a win, a narrow defeat (in his first week in the job) and two drubbings. Nothing to suggest Baraclough would have been any better.

McGhee knows the team we have and he knows the budget we have. He's been trying to play down expectations from the very beginning of the season for exactly that reason. At a time when Celtic are putting more investment into their team, we are taking investment out of ours. There was already a huge gap there and now it's harder than ever for us to compete with Celtic in particular.

I'm not happy with the result or the performance and there are couple of factors that make it worse, 1) that it was a cup match and 2) that was the second time in a row we've just capitulated at Celtic Park.

I hope the players get a rocket up their arse and some questions are asked of their professionalism but at the end of the day if a good team is on form and a very average team is off form these things are liable to happen. We just have to suck it up, I'm afraid and make sure it doesn't demoralise us too much.

We have a very tough match coming up against St. Johnstone on Saturday and we just need to forget about this now and not let it put a downer on the start of the season which will so a long way to determining what kind of campaign we are going to have.

• Like 1