Scottish Premiership Ross County V Motherwell Sat 10 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Watched the highlights three and we were lucky to come away with the point, very soft penalty IMO and it certainly looks like we miss Marvin

Very hard to tell about the penalty from the camera angle, but County players didn't seem to protest overly much. The goal we lost was very disappointing and was down to poor defensive play by several players. Firstly, Ainsworth doesn't work nearly hard enough to close down the County No 5 who pings the ball into the danger area; Schalke (I think) is given too much time and space to collect the ball, wheel and pass to the completely unmarked Boyce (what was Heneghan doing?) who has the easiest of chances to score.

Again, from admittedly limited clips, we are simply not working hard enough when we don't have the ball, to close players down and hassle them.

Very hard to tell about the penalty from the camera angle, but County players didn't seem to protest overly much. The goal we lost was very disappointing and was down to poor defensive play by several players. Firstly, Ainsworth doesn't work nearly hard enough to close down the County No 5 who pings the ball into the danger area; Schalke (I think) is given too much time and space to collect the ball, wheel and pass to the completely Boyce (what was Heneghan doing?) who has the easiest of chances to score.

Again, from admittedly limited clips, we are simply not working hard enough when we don't have the ball, to close players down and hassle them.

I only seen the highlights but heneghans defending for the goal was horrendous

Very hard to tell about the penalty from the camera angle, but County players didn't seem to protest overly much. The goal we lost was very disappointing and was down to poor defensive play by several players. Firstly, Ainsworth doesn't work nearly hard enough to close down the County No 5 who pings the ball into the danger area; Schalke (I think) is given too much time and space to collect the ball, wheel and pass to the completely Boyce (what was Heneghan doing?) who has the easiest of chances to score.

Could level the point you make in the last paragraph at the team for several seasons now. Failure to put pressure on the ball and/or cut out crosses before the opposition has a chance to pick their pass has been costing us goals for several seasons. In my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Watched the highlights three and we were lucky to come away with the point, very soft penalty IMO and it certainly looks like we miss Marvin

We merited a point out of the game, didn't do enough to deserve all 3 mind even when they went down to 10 men but a point each was about right.

First half was a stalemate, we looked compact and solid defensively but offered little attacking threat going forward. Mainly due to the lack of pace and creativity in the side without Johnson and Ainsworth. However we kept them at arms length and forced them into hitting long range efforts.

The 2nd half was much more open and Lasley going off made a difference. Was a shame he had to go off as he having his best game of the season so far and broke up County attacks time and again the 1st half.

Bringing on Lionel and putting Cadden in central midfield gave us more of an attacking threat going forward but left us exposed at the back. We were on the back foot until we won the penalty and then last 20 mins or so was pretty end to end. Credit to County even after they went down to 10 men they kept attacking and didn't just settle for the point. We could have won at the end with Lionel's header but could easily have lost it when Boyce blasted wide from close range late on.

Not a great performance by any means but it wasn't a pretty game and it was a well earned point in the end that we had to fight for. Heneghan(goal aside), Lasley till he went off, McDonald and Moult the best performers in claret and amber.

Could level the point you make in the last paragraph at the team for several seasons now. Failure to put pressure on the ball and/or cut out crosses before the opposition has a chance to pick their pass has been costing us goals for several seasons. In my opinion of course.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it happens so frequently that I often wonder if it's coached into the team. Has Mcghee found some stat that we're more likely to lose goals by full backs diving in and getting skint than we are just standing off and letting them cross?

He's not played any football this season and looked fat in the interview on youtube.

Good to see Fry getting a spot on the bench after positive reviews.

Are you the sports reporter for slimming world as your only opinion of players seems to be how much they weigh..get a grip ffs

As ridiculous as this sounds, it happens so frequently that I often wonder if it's coached into the team. Has Mcghee found some stat that we're more likely to lose goals by full backs diving in and getting skint than we are just standing off and letting them cross?

Its been going on continuously since Stuart McCall was in charge. This is the difference between ourselves and say a team like St Johnstone. Not blaming Ainsworth in totality of course but just using him as an example. If Tom Wright had been in charge of us there would have been 2 players in Davies' face snarling and hassling him. I don't know if this is coached into the team - maybe its more a reflection of players' characters or fitness?

Just watching BBC highlights back there and Ross County's disallowed goal which was conspicuous in its absence from the club's package.

1. Definitely offside. The boy has his right foot on the 6 yard line, both McManus & Heneghan are a yard (maybe 2) off the 6 yard line.

2. It's yet another shot straight at Samson that he's spilled and could easily have cost us a goal.

I think we really need to give Brill a chance now. I'm probably sounding like a broken record here, but for the people who say we shouldn't drop him based on the St. Johnstone game, he's made these dropping errors week in, week out. It's just that we've only been punished for it since. Still no excuse for people sarcastically cheering at the Dundee game when he caught one, don't see what you get out of that.

I remain to be convinced by Tait as well. I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but following the tweets I seen in quick succession he had been booked for hauling down Gardyne and then Gardyne cut in from the left and hit the bar. He seems to be poor defensively and at times has left Alan Hutton-esque gaps in the right back area. Hopefully we're working to rectify this.

• Like 1

I think we really need to give Brill a chance now. I'm probably sounding like a broken record here, but for the people who say we shouldn't drop him based on the St. Johnstone game, he's made these dropping errors week in, week out. It's just that we've only been punished for it since. Still no excuse for people sarcastically cheering at the Dundee game when he caught one, don't see what you get out of that.

I remain to be convinced by Tait as well. I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but following the tweets I seen in quick succession he had been booked for hauling down Gardyne and then Gardyne cut in from the left and hit the bar. He seems to be poor defensively and at times has left Alan Hutton-esque gaps in the right back area. Hopefully we're working to rectify this.

I would agree with all of this.

Samson is thoroughly unconvincing and has already caught us points with a school boy error v St Johnstone.

On Tait, I was hoping we had signed a step up from Josh Law but I've yet to be convinced this is the case. He looks slow, easy beat and is caught out of position often. That said he can pick a pass going forward. Same as Law then really....

• Like 1

Agree in principle but can't really see him being dropped after a clean sheet and a 1-1 draw. I'd have thought if Samson was going to have been benched it'd have been for the home game vs Dundee after the 5-0, his mistakes in the St Johnstone game and the 2-1 loss at Ibrox. Right now I think it'll probably take a suspension or an injury to Samson for Brill to get a shot.

What is clear though is that his apparent inability to catch a ball isn't just a one off, it's a legitimate flaw in his game. The fact that he's now 32 and it's been a consistent criticism from supporters of other clubs he's played with over the years suggests it's not one that he's going to rectify any time soon.

Agree in principle but can't really see him being dropped after a clean sheet and a 1-1 draw. I'd have thought if Samson was going to have been benched it'd have been for the home game vs Dundee after the 5-0, his mistakes in the St Johnstone game and the 2-1 loss at Ibrox. Right now I think it'll probably take a suspension or an injury to Samson for Brill to get a shot.

What is clear though is that his apparent inability to catch a ball isn't just a one off, it's a legitimate flaw in his game. The fact that he's now 32 and it's been a consistent criticism from supporters of other clubs he's played with over the years suggests it's not one that he's going to rectify any time soon.

Oh aye, I fully expect to see Samson in on Saturday, I just don't believe that's the way it should be. It is obviously a goal waiting to be conceded and given we have Brill on what I assume is a first team wage, you'd think we could be proactive and say Brill has earned a chance. Had it been a young lad as 2nd choice then fair enough, but when you sign a guy of Brill's experience as 2nd choice, if he doesn't get a chance when the other keeper is dropping shots every week, then when will he?

• Like 1

Oh aye, I fully expect to see Samson in on Saturday, I just don't believe that's the way it should be. It is obviously a goal waiting to be conceded and given we have Brill on what I assume is a first team wage, you'd think we could be proactive and say Brill has earned a chance. Had it been a young lad as 2nd choice then fair enough, but when you sign a guy of Brill's experience as 2nd choice, if he doesn't get a chance when the other keeper is dropping shots every week, then when will he?

Agreed. Goalkeeper is obviously an odd position in the sense that if you drop a 'keeper to the bench then it seems more of a statement than an outfield player but if a player (any player) is consistently making the same errors, regardless of whether it's costing points/goals or not then there's a legitimate question to be asked.

In competitive games, with Samson in goals we've played 10 games and kept 3 clean sheets (2 of which were in the league cup against East Stirlingshire & Stranraer). It's hardly a stellar record, even when you factor in we've been bedding in a back 4.

I suppose the question is whether or not Brill is a marked improvement on Samson (enough to drop him anyway), having watched Brill in the u20s game he played the other week he certainly made a couple of good stops but equally looked quite lumbering and by no means the most agile. It'd be a stretch to say it was a convincing performance. That said, it was his first game in a while and given the nature of the game he had a young back 4 in front of him. It wasn't a performance that filled you with confidence though again, there's a degree of context needed there as the back 4 were all over the place.

As you say though he's a goalkeeper who's been brought in with experience, the current #1 is spilling shots on a game by game basis you'd hope that it's at least a discussion that's being had (and not just by us).