Loan Signings

daver

If we've had a better goalkeeper in our history than Darren Randolph, then they must have been some goalkeeper. Randolph wins it hands down for me, best I've seen by a mile

Keith McCrae for one.

Andy Goram was probably a better keeper overall than Randolph, but not when he played for us.

None of that takes away from how brilliant Randolph was for us.

Keith McCrae for one.

Andy Goram was probably a better keeper overall than Randolph, but not when he played for us.

None of that takes away from how brilliant Randolph was for us.

I think I agree on McCrae. Excellent keeper and very young too. Also decent outfield player and made severalk appearances there for us, at full back, if I recall correctly? With someone mentioning McCloy, I recall hime playing outfield one time as well........... In the era before substtitues were allowed. I think it was against Killie, he broke his wrist or something and then appeared outfield for the rest of the game.

I think I agree on McCrae. Excellent keeper and very young too. Also decent outfield player and made severalk appearances there for us, at full back, if I recall correctly? With someone mentioning McCloy, I recall hime playing outfield one time as well........... In the era before substtitues were allowed. I think it was against Killie, he broke his wrist or something and then appeared outfield for the rest of the game.

I remember him playing centre forward in one of his early appearances, I might be wrong though, I was only about 6

Dykstra, McCrae, Randolph and Rennie were my favourites over the years, with honourable mentions to Ruddy, Maxwell, Sproat and Walker as being decent keepers. I always felt a little sorry for Rennie because of the number of times managers would bring in new keepers at the start of a season only to find out that they were shite and give the jersey back to big Stuart. I believe the thinking was that they wanted a full time goalie and Rennie was only part time. Hunter and Latchford were two who were brought in to replace Rennie, but I am pretty sure there were others.

I actually don't remember Offiong being that bad. Was it not Hamilton be went to and did reasonably well? Too tired to wiki.

Callum Elliot irks me as we had Coakley desperate to feature and yet Malpas signed Elliot on a loan that cost two grand a week in wages and he was awful.

Malpas. The worst football I've seen us play. Made Kampman look like the lovechild of Jose, Pepe and Fergie.

Pump the ball into a channel for McDonald to chase and hope something will happen.

Nightmares before bedtime...

He was rotten but I think Richard Offiong's performances may trump Callum Elliot in the headless chchicken stakes.

Yeah he did alright at Accies but was young and inexperienced when he came to us on loan. My memory was his touch was poor and he had a habit of running into the corner flag and getting trapped there when he had the ball.

Grabban was another one who made little impact with us but went on to do very well.

On a more positive note, Alan McCormack was very good for us and one we would have liked to keep.

We could probably put together a good team and a poor team of loan signings although we might have to leave blank spaces for full backs!

It's true that you probably could come up with a team of loan signings (as you say, with the exception of full backs). Thing that I sometimes forget is that the likes of Greg Strong and Kevin McBride were loan signings before they signed permanent deals.

Best loan signings for me would be Jutkiewicz, Alan McCormack and Krisztian Vadocz. John Spencer, Kevin McBride and Greg Strong were all good in their loan spells and didn't really maintain that level (although Spencer was burdened by expectations and perception that he wasn't offering value for money).

Poor loan signings? Don't really have too many to point the finger at because the likes of Offiong and Andy Smith didn't feature that much to have a negative impact on the team. Does that make them more pointless loan signings? Mark O'Brien is maybe one that was poor and played a fair bit. Can't think of too many others...