Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

They're certainly beatable, or the very least we could bring them back to Fir Park. For all they've beaten us twice this season already we could easily have won that League Cup tie if we'd taken some of our chances and a draw was of course well within our grasp at Ibrox.

But it is a kick in the baws getting a same division team, and worse still them.

I did enjoy the East Fife and Cove Rangers Cup ties (well perhaps enjoy isn't the right word for East Fife) last season because they were something a little different. Certainly getting payback for that this year.

The cup draw is a boot in the baws, no doubt about it. But it's so predictable I can't help but shake my head and laugh!

Football wise, there's nothing I want more than for Motherwell to win the cup again but it wasn't going to happen this season anyway.

January 21st is a long way away though. We should/could have McHugh, Lucas and maybe even Pearson back by then?

Hopefully we might make sum cash out of this cup draw to offset the missing Old Firm game at Fir Park? Just a pity we have to play them 2 weeks in a row. Hate when that happens.

We have bigger fish to fry this season anyway such as preserving our top flight status, and I fear, especially if the current team selections and form persist that by the time this cup tie comes around how the table will look.

Batter them again..

Great draw assuming Rangers don't have the cup on their ST.

Even better if they have, leaves them with a cash bill to pay us around 40% of the estimated gate income, calculated with average price per head entry prices that the clubs agree.

• Like 1

yes its a shitty draw but lets be honest Rangers are not that good and if we start to get back to thinking that they are something special then we are beaten before we start, all that " we never beat them attitude" finished when we pumped them in the playoffs the season before last so they are there for the taking.

They're pish. They've taken last minute goals to get results against us, Dundee and Thistle this season with draws against Accies, Killie and County. Absolutely no reason why we can't win this if we turn up.

Their home record in the league is;

Accies 1-1 (X)

Motherwell 2-1 (W)

Ross County 0-0(X)

Thistle 2-0 (W)

St Johnstone 1-1 (X)

Killie 3-0 (W)

Dundee 1-0 (W)

They've conceded first in 3 of those 7 home games and 7 of their 14 league fixtures this season. They've still got Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic to play at Ibrox before the cup game so it'll be interesting to see how they get on there.

I agree but we simply don't have the midfield players to do that.

Maybe we will by then?

Entirely possible that McHugh will be back, Lucas may be fit and if rumours and massive hints are to be believed, Pearson might be back.

I need to believe that the ineffectual pairing of Lasley and Clay is only being deployed out of necessity.

• Like 1

Maybe we will by then?

Entirely possible that McHugh will be back, Lucas may be fit and if rumours and massive hints are to be believed, Pearson might be back.

I need to believe that the ineffectual pairing of Lasley and Clay is only being deployed out of necessity.

I think there's definitely something in that. I suppose you'll get a better idea as to whether that is or isn't the case when (if?) Lucas is fit and whether he takes the place of one of either Lasley or Clay.

If Pearson does come back as has been hinted at then a midfield of McHugh as an anchor with Pearson, Lucas and Cadden playing ahead of him could change the entire dynamic of our midfield.

Edit: Given Lucas' contract is up in January and he's started 1 game since he's signed (impressive a performance as it was) there's surely a question mark over whether he'll actually be here come the cup tie.

• Like 2

They're pish. They've taken last minute goals to get results against us, Dundee and Thistle this season with draws against Accies, Killie and County. Absolutely no reason why we can't win this if we turn up.

Their home record in the league is;

Accies 1-1 (X)

Motherwell 2-1 (W)

Ross County 0-0(X)

Thistle 2-0 (W)

St Johnstone 1-1 (X)

Killie 3-0 (W)

Dundee 1-0 (W)

They've conceded first in 3 of those 7 home games and 7 of their 14 league fixtures this season. They've still got Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic to play at Ibrox before the cup game so it'll be interesting to see how they get on there.

Rangers aren't very good but they are a bit better than most of the rest of the teams in this league, which is why they are 2nd in the league and have only lost to Celtic and Aberdeen.

Their cup record is also pretty good they have made two League Cup semi finals and a Scottish Cup final in the last three seasons.

They have only conceded 3 goals in 7 league matches at Ibrox. If we can score we'll have a chance as Rangers haven't been free scoring (only 10 goals at Ibrox, for comparison Motherwell have scored 12 goals in the same number of games at Fir Park) however given our record away to city clubs this season and Rangers home record I think Rangers will be small odds at the bookies to win this.

• Like 1

Not going to look at the Internet either, and will give this a bash...

1992 - Rangers (a)

1993 - Rangers (h)

1994 - Dundee Utd (h)

1995 - ??

1996 - Aberdeen (h)

1997 - Dundee Utd (a)

1998 - Rangers (a)

1999 - St. Johnstone (h) ??

2000 - Ayr Utd - (h)

2001 - Dundee Utd (h) ??

2002 - Dunfermline (a)

2003 - Rangers (n)

2004 - Inverness (h)

2005 - Kilmarnock (a)

2006 - St. Mirren (a)

2007 - St. Johnstone (h)

2008 - Dundee (h)

2009 - St. Mirren (a)

2010 - Inverness (a)

2011 - Celtic (n)

2012 - Aberdeen (h)

2013 - Aberdeen (h)

2014 - Albion Rovers (a)

2015 - Dundee Utd (h)

2016 - Inverness (h)

Can't think of the 1995 one, as well as a couple of 'I think those are right' at the turn of the century.

This, and, what felt like, yet another away opening round draw got me thinking. So, out of interest I had a look back (as far as 2000/01 to see how many times we had been drawn away from home in the first round we entered the Scottish Cup (Round 4 now, used to be Round 3).

I think I have it right below for the opening round:

2000/01 - A
2001/02 - A
2002/03 - A
2003/04 - A
2004/05 - A
2005/06 - A
2006/7 - A
2007/8 - A
2008/9 - A
2009/10 - A
2010/11 - A
2011/12 - H
2012/13 - A
2013/14 - A
2014/15 - H
2015/16 - H
2016/17 - A
14 away, 3 home!
When you look at all the games, when we have progressed, including replays it's 19 away, 16 home.
We've been knocked out in the opening round 7 times, 6 of those away from home. Let's not make that 8 and 7!

Nothing to be scared of. Every team outwith Celtic are average and could beat each other at any given time so I don't see the panic.

Players should treat it as their cup final (as they should any cup game) and get tore into a very mediocre team.

Hopefully MCGhee wont go down the route of "treating them with respect" and just deal with them like the dinosaurs they are!!

Motherwell victory.....lets hope for a good draw in the next round. over 'n' out!!