January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Killie apparently knocked back a bid of 500k for Coulibaly. How does that fit with our valuation of Moult? I haven't seen the killie guy play.

Think he has 9 league goals in about 21 games.

Moult has 9 in 16 i think.

Not sure of either of there cup goals/apps

Coulibaly has the background of being a "wonderkid" from he was about 14, but all in all he's been largely shite with flashes of genius every so often.

Moult as we know came through at Stoke before dropping his level and scoring regular goals, he has scored 68 goals since summer 2013 by the looks of it. Souleymane scored 22 in total.

Coulibaly is about 2.5 years younger than him too I think.

Coulibaly was pretty much anonymous against us in the 0-0 at Fir Park, though equally he pinged one in from 40 odd yards against Celtic at Parkhead.

When he's scored this season for Killie they've almost always tended to be eye-catching which I think tends to distort discussion of whether he's actually any good or not.

If he's worth half a million Moult must be worth 750 to a million imo

Different markets. That half million pound bid is from some team in Egypt, I think we are limited to British clubs if we try to sell Moult. Just a fact with British players that very few have the ambition to play abroad.

We got a fair whack for Ojamaa and Anier because their agent had probably all of Europe to find a club willing to pay a decent fee.

• Like 1

Being linked with o halloran of rangers on loan. Would be a decent signing,can't see it happening tho, apparently hearts,Ross county and st Johnstone in for him as well

Would be utterly pointless given we've already got 3 options on the right side of the park in Cadden, Ainsworth and MacLean. Also, I'd rather not see MFC help them out with their wage bill, even if it is just a contribution. The quicker they go out of business again the better tbh.

• Like 4

Indeed. But it's more than likely Dundee Utd will be able to pay a higher % of his wages than we could.

With Brill looking like leaving, we'll need a new goalkeeper. It'll be interesting to see if McGhee goes for a 1st or 2nd choice 'keeper.

Indeed. But it's more than likely Dundee Utd will be able to pay a higher % of his wages than we could.

With Brill looking like leaving, we'll need a new goalkeeper. It'll be interesting to see if McGhee goes for a 1st or 2nd choice 'keeper.

From what I read, the Dundee Utd move is apparently a non-starter as Celtic want to loan him out to someone paying all of his wages. So that would more than likely rule us out too.

This is the market we would love to be in but judging by who we have bought recently I think this a non-starter.

On the face of it getting someone like GMS or O'Halloran on loan has no long term gain but the impact in the short term could be pretty massive. Not a great fan of loaning players from the OF to ultimately benefit them but needs must. I'm surprised guys like O'Connell/Allan/Henderson were not looked at by us but perhaps Celtic would not be willing to split wages. The sad reality is the Old Firm have guys not even on their bench who could start in our first team. Some of the guys named could have a dramatic impact to our league position.
Personally I'm worried at the market we are shopping in just now, our sole attention seems to be on picking up guys from the Conference in England. I would much rather we looked to the First Division in Scotland or widened the net abroad. Ultimately we must be working on a shoestring as per usual but I think we could do a bit better with the money we have.

If we could get a goalie to compete with Samson.

A pacey winger

And a cental midfielder with legs I would be pretty happy. (Pearo?)

I still think we don't have great depth at centre back/up front but we can get by with what we have aslong as we get no injuries. Hopefully the young boys like Maclean/Campbell can shine and push through to the first team.

And you know we aren't looking at the lower leagues in Scotland or abroad how? Bearing in mind we've had a prospect training with us recently with a view to bringing him in from - yes, the Scottish lower leagues!

We're shopping in the conference as it's proving value for money more so than from elsewhere. Simple logistics.

• Like 1

Personally I'm worried at the market we are shopping in just now, our sole attention seems to be on picking up guys from the Conference in England. I would much rather we looked to the First Division in Scotland or widened the net abroad. Ultimately we must be working on a shoestring as per usual but I think we could do a bit better with the money we have.

I see your point here, but I'm just not sure the value is there in Scotland. Anyone of any note in the lower divisions here is going to be an expensive purchase, and we're competing with Hearts/Hibs/Dundee United/Aberdeen et al for their services. No one we pick up from a lower level here is going to be cheap. Additionally, I'm not entirely convinced the quality is there either. For every Swanson/Gomis coming from a low level, there's a John Baird, or Gary Irvine, who just can't hack it at a higher level. I'm sure if the opportunity arose, we'd be there, but it's just such a rarity just now.

Our position in Scotland, geographically as much as anything, is an advantage. We're not far from Glasgow, there's plenty entirely decent places to live, relatively cheaply, and more than anything, we're a shop window for players to show their quality. I'd say we're far more attractive a prospect to someone down south, who gets the opportunity (for better or worse) to play at places like ibrox and parkhead a few times a year, show off on telly, and get a move south. I'd imagine that all works far more in our favour, signing someone from Kettering, as opposed to signing someone from Fife.

Given the rumblings about Coulthirst, and then whoever the forest Green boy is, we're working our way down a target list that has vastly more depth than in Scotland, simply down to the number of clubs.

Looking at transfers in Scotland, I'd say, for example, we've had far more out of Moult and Johnson, than Aberdeen have had out of Kenny McLean, for a similar sort of outlay.

It all seems better business to me, really.

And you know we aren't looking at the lower leagues in Scotland or abroad how? Bearing in mind we've had a prospect training with us recently with a view to bringing him in from - yes, the Scottish lower leagues!

We're shopping in the conference as it's proving value for money more so than from elsewhere. Simple logistics.

I am just basing this on the numerous amounts of players we have brought in recently, none of which have been from either market. I struggle to think of any in recent memory.

We seem to have been recruiting primarily from the English lower leagues for some time now. I'm sure you can agree it's been a very mixed bag. For every Moult there has been a Blyth or Wes Fletcher