January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Saw on twitter that there's a young goalie on trial from Canada - Alex Jakma.

Don't know if this is with a view to replacing Brill, or just par for the course, in terms of picking up promising talent.

Given his background, age and the level that he's coming from (semi-pro in Canada etc) I'd be quite surprised if he was viewed as a replacement for Brill. He's 18 so is there a chance he's be brought in for the 20s? There was a vague mention that along with the Middlesboro 'keeper that was apparently in while Brill was away on his trial we'd also had the City keeper who ended up signing on loan with St Mirren in. A u23s 'keeper from a EPL side would seem a more likely shout as a replacement for Brill, though obviously I could be miles out on that.

As far as incomings go I think it probably depends on who goes and who stays as much as anything. If Brill goes then that's a 'keeper we'd need in, if someone's willing to take Ainsworth then with Cadden looking like he's still carrying an injury and MacLean's dislocated shoulder then the right midfielder shout makes a bit more sense, on top of that there's the fact that we really need to address the left side of the team (as Alan Burrows indicated on the podcast the other week).

That's possibly 4 players, given the nature of the January window that's quite a shopping list.

The Canadian Goal Keeper is an interesting thing, two work colleagues, one supports Dundee Utd and the other St Mirren, both mentioned they have trialists from across the pond who play College Football. I reckon there's an agent touting these kids with his fingers crossed !

Not Motherwell related but STV news are reporting Souleyman Coulibaly is in Egypt for discussions with 2 separate clubs.

Although he's blown hot and cold he's scored a fair few goals for Killie in the first half of the season and it'd certainly be a blow for them if he left.

Hopefully he goes, anything that weakens teams in our part of the league is most welcome.

Edit : fee believed to be in the region of £1m! Jesus!

On Sky Sports News today, bid accepted in the region of £1m.

Good business and a bit unexpected I would imagine!

Anyone heard any whispers on this guy from Forrest Green? I thought this would be a pretty straight forward deal. Would be nice to get someone in prior to Saturday to try and give the guys a bit of a lift. To me the O'Hallaron thing seems a bit unrealistic after seeing him play on Saturday. If we can get a wide man in, another centre mid, and a goalie i would be reasonably satisfied. Another defender would be nice too but trying to be somewhat realistic

The Elliott Frear deal isn't as straightforward as you suggest. He's under contract and will be subject to a fee. FGR are trading a lot at the minute and are losing a number of first team players. It would appear that they are going to try and hold out for more money as there are more than just Motherwell competing for his signature.

So in the next week we just need to sign a keeper, a left back, a left winger, a right winger and possibly a striker if Moult goes?

Easy days.

Looking at the balance of our squad and the fact we havent managed a really secure gap from the bottom, i would much rather we keep Moult till the summer (unless a crazy bid comes in).

The guy is fast turning into a Motherwell legend. It will be a sore one when he goes.

• Like 2

Looking at the balance of our squad and the fact we havent managed a really secure gap from the bottom, i would much rather we keep Moult till the summer (unless a crazy bid comes in).

The guy is fast turning into a Motherwell legend. It will be a sore one when he goes.

That's what I'm hoping as well. Unless it's daft money I think his goals/work rate is of more value than him going for a few hundred thousand.

That's what I'm hoping as well. Unless it's daft money I think his goals/work rate is of more value than him going for a few hundred thousand.

Depends on how you look at it but in the last 10 matches Coulibaly had only scored 2 goals.

But then in the last 10 matches Kilmarnock have only scored 2 goals outwith Coulibaly so that's 50% of an already low scoring rate.

Why???

He was signed as a free agent. A great bit of business for Killie and Posh should be kicking themselves.

Obviously can't take as fact. Not always as 'free' as it seems. Unsure if it's a result of any cross border rules - major sponsor at Kilmarnock gave the impression he hadn't been released from Peterborough, free transfer to Scotland with add ons. But, you would know...

No doubting a cracking piece of business on their part

Obviously can't take as fact. Not always as 'free' as it seems. Unsure if it's a result of any cross border rules - major sponsor at Kilmarnock gave the impression he hadn't been released from Peterborough, free transfer to Scotland with add ons. But, you would know...

No doubting a cracking piece of business on their part

I guess I'm rising to the bait but I've never heard of a scenario like the one you are alluding to. I'm genuinely not looking for an argument, more an education.

To my understanding, Coulibaly signed for Posh for an 'initial' years contract and then signed for Killie. I guess (if I'm understanding your point) what your saying is that perhaps Posh may be entitled to some compensation? Or perhaps that they actually sold him to Killie?

Assuming that he was as publicised a free agent, what I don't understand is why a releasing club would be entitled to a sell on fee?

Other than the lads age, Posh have minimal claim to his development and Killie would've had to have paid that in the summer. Alternatively, Coulibaly may have refused a new offer of a contract in order to become a free agent. Again, any monetary implications would've had to have been addressed at sign up for Killie.

Principally, I guess any club could negotiated the release of a 'Josh Law' on the understanding that they may get a cut of a future fee. However, at best, this is a Scott Mcdonald scenario i.e. option of an extension after the first year. Would Hibs had to have given us a fee or if they didn't, any English club would've had to?

I genuinely don't know...