January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

What I would be worried is losing Stephen Craigen as I am sure he will be getting noticed by "bigger" clubs, as not only he is getting excellent results, his interviews are just as good, as he certainly knows what he is doing and is rubbing on to our under 20's sides, long may it continue.

Tend to agree with this. If we want to keep him, we may have to offer him the big job when McGhee's contract expires. Albeit its far from guaranteed that his methods for developing and motivating kids could be transferred into a 1st team dressing room.

If Erwin is available we should be in for him. Could easily play in a front 3 with McDonald and Moult, unlike Bowman. We desperately need someone with a bit of pace.

Absolutely.

I would've taken Jim O'Brien back also, but I suspect his wages might have been a stumbling back.

What I would be worried is losing Stephen Craigen as I am sure he will be getting noticed by "bigger" clubs, as not only he is getting excellent results, his interviews are just as good, as he certainly knows what he is doing and is rubbing on to our under 20's sides, long may it continue.

My understanding is he is happy with the 20s and tv work and not interested in management

With regards to Craigan im sure he was offered the job full time between Mccall and baraclough but came out and said that as this moment in time he wasn't intrested in full time mamagement with his involvement in NI and his punditry work....saying that craigan lasley faddy and hammell is surely the dream management team for any fan so hopefully he wants the job eventually.

The young Canadian keeper put up a tweet a couple of days ago that due to passport issues he wasnt able to sign so I doubt he'll be one of them.

I noticed yesterday that ex Inverness player Marley Watkins had asked to be released by Barnsley. No idea whether or not they allowed him but he would suit the pacey left winger identikit that we appear to be wanting

• Like 2

There's a video on YouTube of Cadogan called something like Keiron Cadogan wing wizard. A bigger display of sand dancing you'd be hard pushed to find. Lots of tricks but didn't seem to beat anybody. Did put over some good crosses though when defenders stood off him.

If that's the best compilation they can put together then I can see our support being impressed before quickly turning on him.

The guy is playing every week for Stevenage. Hopefully we won't be paying a fee for a 26 year old defender.

I know it's a different market, but Jermaine Defoe at 34 and Robert Snodgrass at 29 are both looking at £10million plus transfers.

The return on investment would be this guy keeping us in the top flight, or helping us get 6th place even if in 2-3 years time we don't get a fee when he moves on.

Financially we can't be having a dreadful season, we've hit the jackpot with our cup draws even if we didn't progress, 2 games against Rangers and a trip to parkhead all live on tv is financially the equivalent of reaching a semi final, possibly better.

Just another example of chasing the buck being detrimental to your actual development.

I am one of the few who think he had genuine talent and the chance of making it. All the attributes physically and not short on skill. Think he's just genuinely short on brains.

If he stayed and had a full season of football under his belt he could have become a player in my opinion.

Now I don't give a fuck as we've got Louis Moult...!

Normally I would side with a post like yours on a topic like that Sieb, but I don't think I would actually criticise Erwin for going to Leeds.

He spent nearly an entire season out injured when he was 19 and again when he was 20. After two years of being constantly injured, he gets a good run in the team and a club like Leeds come in an offer him a three-year-deal on £7,000 a week (that's the figure I heard, but could just be hearsay I suppose). What if another long-term injury, like the ones he'd had before, was to happen in pre season had he stayed at Motherwell? Is another club going to offer a 22 year old who has had three long-term injuries a lucrative deal like that?

It's a short career, especially when he can see the likes of Euan Murray and Jack Leitch who he came through with falling down the leagues after leaving the club, I think he'd have been a fool to turn down that money that was being offered to him.

I know his attitude since going to Leeds is self-determined and probably from what we perceive could be a lot better, but even with not getting into the team at Leeds it's led him to loan spells at Bury and Oldham, both in league one, a level that players often aspire to when leaving us.

I think there's a difference between moving for a quick buck and actually being financially strategic. I could see the argument if he was 18 to stay at Fir Park and get more games but in football terms, 21 is even getting on a bit.

When you add in that we got a reported fee of £500,000 for a striker who had been fit for one season and scored 6 goals in 37 games (not scoring between August and April into the mix as well), I think the Erwin deal was great for both parties.

• Like 2

I understand where you are coming from Joe, however with his injury past, I really think he more than anyone needed a consistent run off first team footie.

Agree it was a very enticing offer for him but a year more and he could have been looking at more than that.

It's all ifs or buts and we as a club benefitted from his move but it's always a shame in my eyes to see good young talent not progress as it should.