Mcmanus - You Don't Know What You Have Got Till It's Gone

The wee man

Ok McManus blundered at end of Ibrox cup tie but he wasn't to blame for 14 goals since then.

Suspect we will appreciate his input over next few games, especially without a recognised left back in place and without a goalkeeper to catch crosses.

Who to replace him? 4 options?

1) Jules - played almost 2 full games, 2 major errors and caused 2 goals. Main concerns are very one footed and looks like needs a rocket up his backside, strolls about.

2) Ferguson - has looked totally out of place, any time played on left hand side. Would need Henaghan moved to left centre half.

3) McHugh - has played centre half before but have to assume not very good or why changed to a midfielder? Main concern that by plugging one problem area we would cause another one, since would weaken midfield not having McHugh there, have lost 12 - 2 since McHugh ordered off.

4) McGuire - young but further forward as a player than Hall was a year ago. Totally comfortable at left centre half. Possibly outstanding future talent in current u20's. Concern is whether he is physically ready at this stage. Craigan should know.

No matter who you choose it's a gamble but one we need to get right. Could be season defining. Get it wrong and we are up shit creek.

My preference - no. 4 - it's his natural position.

Nice to get a dose of optimism :haha: this early in the morning. Well it is early for me.

Ok McManus blundered at end of Ibrox cup tie but he wasn't to blame for 14 goals since then.

Suspect we will appreciate his input over next few games, especially without a recognised left back in place and without a goalkeeper to catch crosses.

Who to replace him? 4 options?

1) Jules - played almost 2 full games, 2 major errors and caused 2 goals. Main concerns are very one footed and looks like needs a rocket up his backside, strolls about.

2) Ferguson - has looked totally out of place, any time played on left hand side. Would need Henaghan moved to left centre half.

3) McHugh - has played centre half before but have to assume not very good or why changed to a midfielder? Main concern that by plugging one problem area we would cause another one, since would weaken midfield not having McHugh there, have lost 12 - 2 since McHugh ordered off.

4) McGuire - young but further forward as a player than Hall was a year ago. Totally comfortable at left centre half. Possibly outstanding future talent in current u20's. Concern is whether he is physically ready at this stage. Craigan should know.

No matter who you choose it's a gamble but one we need to get right. Could be season defining. Get it wrong and we are up shit creek.

My preference - no. 4 - it's his natural position.

I'd go for Jules as well. I've been a big critic of McManus at various points throughout his Motherwell career, but have pretty much always conceded that the team would suffer more for him not being in it. Given he's been a virtual ever present since signing, these next six weeks will probably be a indicator of whether that is true or not.

As for McHugh, I think he's by far our best option in the middle of the park, but given our surplus of options there and the fact Clay was most people's MOTM against Celtic, I'd be tempted to play him left back, where has played before rather than Chalmers.

As for McHugh, I think he's by far our best option in the middle of the park, but given our surplus of options there and the fact Clay was most people's MOTM against Celtic, I'd be tempted to play him left back, where has played before rather than Chalmers.

No.8 playing at left back? What have you done with the real Joe? #numberpolis

• Like 1

McHugh has to play centre-mid...a position we've struggled to fill for a long, long time, he looks like he could be the one for me.

At centre-back, it has to be and undoubtedly will be Zac Jules, not seen him yet, but we signed him on loan purely because we didn't have adequate cover for Mick or Ben.

At left-back, I'd start young McMillan, but I'd imagne it'll be SloJoe Chalmers in there, whoever is played there will have the added comfort of Stephen Pearson playing in front of them who will at least give them a bit of cover and assistance that has been lacking when both have played there earlier in the season

Samson

Tait

Heneghan

Jules

McMillan

Cadden

Lucas

McHugh

Pearson

McDonald

Moult

• Like 2

No.8 playing at left back? What have you done with the real Joe? #numberpolis

Haha, you can make an exception when it's a player filling in an unorthodox position. But you're right, number 4 or 6 would be more appropriate for a centre mid who can play in defence too.

McHugh has to play centre-mid...a position we've struggled to fill for a long, long time, he looks like he could be the one for me.

At centre-back, it has to be and undoubtedly will be Zac Jules, not seen him yet, but we signed him on loan purely because we didn't have adequate cover for Mick or Ben.

At left-back, I'd start young McMillan, but I'd imagne it'll be SloJoe Chalmers in there, whoever is played there will have the added comfort of Stephen Pearson playing in front of them who will at least give them a bit of cover and assistance that has been lacking when both have played there earlier in the season

Samson

Tait

Heneghan

Jules

McMillan

Cadden

Lucas

McHugh

Pearson

McDonald

Moult

That would be my team aswell.

Although I'd be tempted to start the new goalie.....

Pretty much my thoughts although I'd maybe prefer Chalmers to MacMillan but not a lot in it (Chalmers is left sided MacMillan isn't).

McManus has been managing niggling injuries for a long time and it was seemingly inevitable that he would need a spell out at some point. I think this would have been at the forefront of McGhee's mind in the transfer window hence the arrival of Zac Jules. However I doubt Zac was near the top of our wanted list and iirc we were linked with a couple of experienced centre halves.

With Hammell also injured, Jules is almost guaranteed to get a run of games. Whether that's centre half or left back remains to be seen. Personally, I'd drop McHugh in beside him so we have some experience at the back to guide Heneghan and Jules through a game.

Yes McHugh has been seen as our saviour in midfield but with Pearson arriving, Clay putting in a good performance at Parkhead and Campbell reportedly getting closer to the team, we have sufficient options in midfield to allow McHugh to suppport the young ones in defence.

• Like 1

Only one reply to original post mentions our signed natural left centre half, Maguire. Surprised, can only assume most haven't seen him playing.

Personally think Jules will play but not convinced he is any better than Maguire.

If Maguire is listed as playing tonight for u20's discussion as far as tomorrow's game is immaterial.

Only one reply to original post mentions our signed natural left centre half, Maguire. Surprised, can only assume most haven't seen him playing.

Personally think Jules will play but not convinced he is any better than Maguire.

If Maguire is listed as playing tonight for u20's discussion as far as tomorrow's game is immaterial.

Are you related to Euan Murray, at all?