S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Social spastics.

Take a note.

Only a social spastic could criticize Robinson for selecting players he didn't sign,

This forum is full of social spastics

We fine with this? I'm aware this is your shtick, but we're just happy with this language?

Hard pass.

No, I wouldn't say I was happy with it. It reflects poorly on the poster.

But then perhaps sometimes a post is better left in place I'm order that the poster may reflect on whether the tone and language used could have been a little less crass and whether they may wish to reflect and amend or retract what they've said.

And if not for other forum users to consider whether this is someone they wish to interact with or just ignore.

• Like 1

But then perhaps sometimes a post is better left in place I'm order that the poster may reflect on whether the tone and language used could have been a little less crass and whether they may wish to reflect and amend or retract what they've said.

And if not for other forum users to consider whether this is someone they wish to interact with or just ignore.

Agreed. Not that I'm a mod, but I've had this discussion with Yabba in the past too. Unless something has crossed the line from a legal perspective, I think it's better for other members to call out posters as and when appropriate.

Nah. Pathetic response, tbh.

Fair play to Robinson for criticising the celebration after the goals yesterday. He wants a winning mentality and can't be faulted for that

Fairplay? what was there to criticise? list it as it happened , put a timeline to it....

Ps wanting a winning mentality is fine, being the man that turned it into a pantomime , then deflecting some heat onto others,in an attempt to gain some credibility from fans who in the main were not there , or install discipline,is another thing in its entirety

• Like 3

As thisGraeme illustrated in this thread and Tweed in the McGhee vs Robinson thread the guy deserves his chance. He has outperformed his former boss. When McGhee and Robinson worked in tandem we finished 5th. He then left and before he returned we were shipping goals to the likes of Dundee.

The only two things he's been guilty of in the past year is accepting a bit of a poison chalice at Oldham however I can appreciate his ambition and persevering with a back three after an impressive first half at Ibrox that defied expectation.

However to counter the latter you could argue when you have a defensive roll call at training that resembles Labour's Scottish MP count, fielding three defenders and flooding the midfield is understandable. Especially when you have an effective strike partnership in Moult and McDonald, you plan to make the other team defend rather then you do it. Unfortunately as we saw, a good number of our league opponents have better functioning midfields. That is not aided when arguably our best midfielder is playing as a makeshift centre half and the other one with anything about him has already been written off by a lot of our support even though he outperformed Lucas and Clay.

I would hope that scouting reports he amassed in his months with Oldham may help identify a few targets. Also, the club sees merit in cherry picking from our lower leagues too. I also suspect a few Northern Irish starlets from his U21 time there. It'll be interesting to see if he can help the young fringe players like Allan Campbell to step up and secure a weekly starting position.

The squad he amasses will define him, if he can't get it right then he is looking like spending the next 5 years or so as an assistant to build his stock price up again.

As for all the guys talking about McCulloch, maybe when he returned to Fir Park as a Rangers player (via Wigan where we received a nice payday) and was subjected to all sorts of cringeworthy shouts from our fans. Reynolds got it too and it doesn't really build any lingering affinity for the club that gave you your chance. Having him return to Motherwell when he left Rangers would have been a welcome addition to our squad. We could also have the services of a home grown lad who has performed really well at Killie since taking over. Their run in to the split was arguably the toughest in the league and they exceeded any expectations of their points haul. Some in the East Stand should maybe consider where they direct their vitriol in future.

• Like 1

He left on good terms of course he did...but he signed for Rangers and not many players over the years have signed for either side of the OF and come back to a rapturous welcome. Footballers need to grow a thicker skin if a few fannies calling them names puts them off a career move.

From my point of view I'm certainly not going to be sitting on my hands with Duck Tape on my mouth, just on the off chance that I say something that may offend an opposing player and put him off Fir Park for life.

I'm pretty sure on his first game back at Fir Park McCulloch actually got a decent welcome. I'm sure I remember him clapping all 4 stands at the end of the game.

Abuse may or may not have followed as his elbows began to fly?......

The abuse/booing of Reynolds's is/was ridiculous and embarrassing.

I think the worst abuse I ever heard a returning former player receive was Pearson on his first game back here with Celtic.

Are you saying that Lee McCulloch decided not to sign for us (I actually never realised we were after him at any point) because some folk in the East Stand had a go at him when he was playing against us in a Sevco top?

Aye. But the assailant remains at large.

On topic I think Robinson deserves a fair crack at it. He was absolutely hamstrung by injuries and horrific signings left from McGhee's time and from the sounds of it he's not hanging about getting rid of some of that absolute dross. While it's not been a wonderful style of football to watch at least we became slightly more difficult to play against even with a makeshift defence including Zak Jules.

On topic I think Robinson deserves a fair crack at it. He was absolutely hamstrung by injuries and horrific signings left from McGhee's time and from the sounds of it he's not hanging about getting rid of some of that absolute dross. While it's not been a wonderful style of football to watch at least we became slightly more difficult to play against even with a makeshift defence including Zak Jules.

Worth mentioning the points gained since Robinson came in as well;

Celtic 30

Aberdeen 24

Rangers 24

Ross County 22

St Johnstone 21

Motherwell 14

Partick Thistle 13

Kilmarnock 13

ICT 12

Hamilton Accies 11

Hearts 8

Dundee 7

Yeah, the style of football may have been agricultural at times but his remit was to keep us in the division. He'd got the manager's gig off the back of us having lost games 7-2 and 5-1. Our goal difference under McGhee was -23 after 26 games, in the 12 games under Robinson the goal difference in those games is 0.

Robinson kept us in the division and stopped us shipping ludicrous amounts of goals, if not managing to completely stop us shipping ludicrous goals.

He was hamstrung having to play one of our best midfielders at centre half because we only had one fit centre back and shuffle an injury prone left back in to a back 3 to make some vaguely coherent defence before eventually having to make do with Cadden at right back. Were people seriously expecting flowing, fluid, easy on the eye football to be high on his list of priorities given the circumstances?

Jay alluded to it on the podcast that went up last night but it's difficult not to feel that had it been Valakari or Coyle or Hughes (LOL), basically anyone but Robinson, that had come in and achieved the same outcome then you'd imagine the response would have been quite different.

• Like 5

I've been highly critical of his appointment, the circumstances around it, his style of play and his mental formations in the relegation run-in. However, I've been a bit more impressed with him recently, how he helped grind out a result at Accies, how he had the courage to change his formation and personnel so quickly against Kille for example...

...I've also found myself nodding in agreement at a few things he has said since that Killie game. He clearly talks a good game, his reluctance to celebrate after avoiding relegation sits well with me, as does his criticism of players over-celebrating meaningless goals in a defeat in an ultimately meaningless match, he has said the right things in terms of next season as well, with him saying that this season has been unacceptable and he doesnt want a repeat next year, he has also started his pre-season straight away, emptying some of the players from the squad who either weren't good enough or providing enough for what we were paying them, although I don't think he will be finished on that front with one or two still in contract players liable to be asked to leave by hook or by crook.

The rebuild job is massive this year, and hopefully he knows what hes doing...hes gone some way to win me over recently just by the manner he has gone about his business off the field...but talk is cheap, just look at his best pal Baraclough who seemed to be able to talk his way out of any situation, hopefully Robinson does more than talk the talk.

• Like 2

From my point of view I'm certainly not going to be sitting on my hands with Duck Tape on my mouth, just on the off chance that I say something that may offend an opposing player and put him off Fir Park for life.

Not asking anyone to do that, maybe just asking them not to act like a fanny when someone returns to Fir Park.

As Milo pointed out, the bullshit Reynolds received as one of the most cringy things I've ever seen our support doing.

• Like 1