S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Robinson is doing well so far. However I think after eleven games when we've played every other team once, we'll have a better idea how things are going.

What I would say, in terms of squad building, evidence so far seems to show that we look a lot stronger. Bearing in mind that we had Cadden playing wing back on Saturday, our midfield options are an embarrassment of riches compared to last season. Towards the end of last season, with McHugh playing centre back, our midfield options were Lasley, Clay, Cadden and Campbell with Lucas and Pearson permanently injured. On Saturday we had Bigirimama, Tanner and Grimshaw available from the bench and that's with MacLean, Gordon and Frear not even in the squad. Night and day doesn't cover it.

Irrespective of what you think of their individual abilities, if you'd been told at the start of last season that having lost Johnson, Ainsworth, Lasley, Pearson, McDonald, McManus and Heneghan (seven players most people would have had in their first eleven or in Ainsworth's case as best option from the bench) that we'd be on a four game unbeaten run including Hearts and Hibs, you'd have been astounded.

Upcoming games against Dundee, Partick Thistle and Accies are going to be a real barometer of where we're at. If like the Ross County and Kilmarnock games, we pick up points we 'should' then I think we'll be fine this season. Thus far, I'd call it a good start.

Cautious optimism hasn't been increased or decimated yet...

The next test, although hopefully it never comes, will be if we can cope with injuries to key players.

For me those three key players are Moult, Bowman and Campbell.

We have done well but we are still very reliant on Moult to score the goals.

Bowman is now a key player because he's crucial to getting the best out of Moult.

And Campbell has been our best player this season, he might be 18 years old, but he's running that midfield like a veteran and I don't think it's a coincidence that the two matches we've lost this season were the one's he didn't play in.

The next test, although hopefully it never comes, will be if we can cope with injuries to key players.

For me those three key players are Moult, Bowman and Campbell.

We have done well but we are still very reliant on Moult to score the goals.

Bowman is now a key player because he's crucial to getting the best out of Moult.

The kamikaze (in a good way) way we like to play these days I worry is going to naturally lead to injuries. What we do have is a bench of actual first team players thanks to Robinsons signing policy so credit to him for that.

Despite that, you are right in that those three players are performing at a level that would hard to replace.

What gives me hope is the fact that Robinson has formed a formidable partnership in Moult and Bowman when they were pretty much incompatible last season. If one is injured / goes, I'm sure Fisher (at his best) can fill the role with some degree of success. Again - another shrewd signing.

Strangely enough, Allan Campbell is the one guy out the three you've mentioned who I think would be the biggest loss.

Take a bow Stephen Robinson . As he says fitness and effort are free and we can be the best at these things . His team reflects his personality . Drive, enthusiasm ,work ethic and desire . Well done the board for seeing that and having the balls to appoint him . What a breath of fresh air . This team win loose or draw are worth the admission money . Looking forward to games again . Was ready to chuck it after last 2-3 season but got the old mojo back again . Well done Mr Robinson

• Like 1

I am struggling to keep a lid on it as well, however for the first time ever as a Well fan watching us 2 goals up I was never nervous we were going to blow it. All the things we have had issues with over the years seem to have been sorted. Our game management in the second half was quite superb and not something we are used to seeing.

1. We are fit and athletic....no team will out fight us or physically intimidate us

2. We actually take throw ins quickly (and its Andy Rose who shows most and gives the thrower an option)

3. We are organised and have a plan. Free kicks and corners are dangerous as well

4. We also have a plan b when needed (and I have no doubt a plan c and d as well!)

5. We have a team playing for each other ( Moult applauding Bowman off the park, Bowman speaking to Fisher as he replaced him, celebrations on the subs bench at 3rd goal)

6. We have a growing connection between fans and team which will be vital when we inevitably have an off day

7. We have a board in sync with the manager and who do business the right way in the transfer market

8. We have talent in the u20s gaining game time on loan and seeing through Campbell and Cadden there is opportunity to progress

9. We have fierce competition for places (or even a place on the bench)

10. We have various options on the bench that can strengthen the team not weaken it.

All of this makes us also an attractive proposition for the right type of player to join us and keep the momentum going which will be vital as inevitably I think we will lose the likes of Kipre, Moult, and Cadden at the end of the season

For all of this a huge thanks to Robbo, Flow, Las, and everyone working behind the scenes. Last night was right up there, the old place was rocking in a way I haven't seen since the play off game, but the difference this time was it was not about survival but about success.

My mojo had gone the last few seasons, but it's well and truly back now and even if there is a setback on Sunday nothing will change that.

I'm away for a wee lie down now!!

• Like 10

I am struggling to keep a lid on it as well, however for the first time ever as a Well fan watching us 2 goals up I was never nervous we were going to blow it. All the things we have had issues with over the years seem to have been sorted. Our game management in the second half was quite superb and not something we are used to seeing.

1. We are fit and athletic....no team will out fight us or physically intimidate us

2. We actually take throw ins quickly (and its Andy Rose who shows most and gives the thrower an option)

3. We are organised and have a plan. Free kicks and corners are dangerous as well

4. We also have a plan b when needed (and I have no doubt a plan c and d as well!)

5. We have a team playing for each other ( Moult applauding Bowman off the park, Bowman speaking to Fisher as he replaced him, celebrations on the subs bench at 3rd goal)

6. We have a growing connection between fans and team which will be vital when we inevitably have an off day

7. We have a board in sync with the manager and who do business the right way in the transfer market

8. We have talent in the u20s gaining game time on loan and seeing through Campbell and Cadden there is opportunity to progress

9. We have fierce competition for places (or even a place on the bench)

10. We have various options on the bench that can strengthen the team not weaken it.

All of this makes us also an attractive proposition for the right type of player to join us and keep the momentum going which will be vital as inevitably I think we will lose the likes of Kipre, Moult, and Cadden at the end of the season

For all of this a huge thanks to Robbo, Flow, Las, and everyone working behind the scenes. Last night was right up there, the old place was rocking in a way I haven't seen since the play off game, but the difference this time was it was not about survival but about success.

My mojo had gone the last few seasons, but it's well and truly back now and even if there is a setback on Sunday nothing will change that.

I'm away for a wee lie down now!!

Great post.

Agree with every word.

COYW!

I was thinking about this too but you'd argue the most consistent and successful manager in Scotland over the past few years with a limited budget has been Tommy Wright (also N Irish). Haven't seen many come calling for him.

Also, maybe if Robinson had been allowed a foray or two into the transfer market at Oldham we wouldn't have him here.

I was thinking about this too but you'd argue the most consistent and successful manager in Scotland over the past few years with a limited budget has been Tommy Wright (also N Irish). Haven't seen many come calling for him.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've heard the occasional comment in the media that the reason for this is that he is "limited" as a manager.

Limited to guiding a club with a fanbase of under 3000 to three fourth place finishes, two semi finals and a cup win - all in the space of about 4 years. Add to that a manager of the year award. Limited indeed.

Wouldn't want the guy held back in his career, but for our sake hopefully Robinson is similarly "limited".

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've heard the occasional comment in the media that the reason for this is that he is "limited" as a manager.

Limited to guiding a club with a fanbase of under 3000 to three fourth place finishes, two semi finals and a cup win - all in the space of about 4 years. Add to that a manager of the year award. Limited indeed.

Wouldn't want the guy held back in his career, but for our sake hopefully Robinson is similarly "limited".

Quite so. But what would the Scottish media tarts know about football? We must have the most Glaikit bunch of Old Firm apologists masquerading as experts.

If The Saints' Boss was called Tomasso Giusto they'd be having multiple organisms

Quite so. But what would the Scottish media tarts know about football? We must have the most Glaikit bunch of Old Firm apologists masquerading as experts.

If The Saints' Boss was called Tomasso Giusto they'd be having multiple organisms

To be fair - there must be some truth in that otherwise he wouldn't still be at St Johnstone.