The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Aside from Rose, who I'm not really convinced is a better option than Campbell or McLean, I don't really think any of our summer signings are taking up positions in the squad that could be filled by the u20s. Even then, the likes of Plummer, Rose, Kipre and Dunne are all only on one year deals. To me, this would suggest that there's scope for Campbell, McLean, McMillan etc to challenge for a place in the first team this year and nail down a place for the start of the next season.

Personally I would like to see us have a core of Scottish players who've came through the Motherwell youth system, but it's not the be all and end all. Inverness won the Scottish Cup and finished 3rd a few seasons ago with 2 or 3 Scottish players in the starting eleven most weeks, with the rest coming from the English lower leagues.

• Like 1

I really do hope SR knows what he is doing. I did have faith in him last season, unfortunately I have my doubts.

The team certainly needed refreshing after what we went through last season, but I am just not 100% convinced that we will be better of than last season!

Fortunately he quite rightly addressed the goalkeeping problem from last season.

I just feel we are getting third or fourth rate type players from the English lower divisions and as someone also mentioned I think our team will have the lowest amount of Scots playing for us.

Our latest addition Ellis Plummer I know absolutely nothing about him apart from being a product of Manchester City youth team, but does not necessary mean he is any good.

My own worry is also if we loose Moult/Cadden at the last minute with no replacement before the deadline.

I will be estatic if we do better than last season, but with ten new players in place I have my doubts.

I really do hope SR knows what he is doing. I did have faith in him last season, unfortunately I have my doubts.

The team certainly needed refreshing after what we went through last season, but I am just not 100% convinced that we will be better of than last season!

Fortunately he quite rightly addressed the goalkeeping problem from last season.

I just feel we are getting third or fourth rate type players from the English lower divisions and as someone also mentioned I think our team will have the lowest amount of Scots playing for us.

Our latest addition Ellis Plummer I know absolutely nothing about him apart from being a product of Manchester City youth team, but does not necessary mean he is any good.

My own worry is also if we loose Moult/Cadden at the last minute with no replacement before the deadline.

I will be estatic if we do better than last season, but with ten new players in place I have my doubts.

We will absolutely be better than last season.

I dont honestly think SR is going to sign lower league english players if he thinks we have u20s good enough to step up now. To me (and I have seen them a few times) they are nowhere near ready to take on that responsibility and it could adversely affect their future careers.

To me the key is improve on last season and gradually move to a more home grown model and I have no doubt that will happen. It won't happen without shorter term improvement in the first team to keep the club safe and quite rightly thats where the focus is.

I have no doubt the Campbells and McLeans will get their chance as the season progresses but for now much as I would prefer a more home based squad what we have in terms of atheticism, age, and potential sell on is light years ahead of last season

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm not averse to the signing of Plummer as he should address an area of immediate concern where we presumably don't have any youth prospects on the verge of breaking through.

The deeper concern for me is the future of widely admired talents like Campbell, MacLean and Hastie. I've always maintained that if you are good enough you will get a chance at Motherwell. It's early days but with these boys currently spending a fair bit of time in the stands, my theory could be out the window this season.

I've voiced similar concerns many times and I won't repeat them but on top of what you are saying above I think it's worth noting that we now have a first team squad of 28 players.

That doesn't seem like a sensible number on a whole number of levels.

• Like 1

From the bits and pieces the manager has said, I think we will see the likes of MacLean, Campbell and McMillan out on loan for experience. Especially given the signings we've made.

As steelboy says, with regards Campbell and MacLean you probably have to look at the numbers and depth.

It looks like we'll be playing 3 central midfielders. Right now we've got 6 CM to pick from;

Cadden, McHugh, Bigirimana as first picks with Rose, Campbell, MacLean the cover, plus Shea Gordon. You could maybe make an argument for one of Campbell, MacLean or Gordon being loaned out but no more than that.

I've voiced similar concerns many times and I won't repeat them but on top of what you are saying above I think it's worth noting that we now have a first team squad of 28 players.

Out of curiosity who are you classing the 28? Not a dig just wondering as I'd have said 24 first team (including McMillan, Watt, Campbell, MacLean and Gordon).

From the bits and pieces the manager has said, I think we will see the likes of MacLean, Campbell and McMillan out on loan for experience. Especially given the signings we've made.

Loans can be used as a form of player development.

Unfortunately in recent times we've used loans to simply move youth players out of the way and sideline them until their contracts run down. See - Dom Thomas, Dylan Mackin, Craig Moore, Tom Fry, David Ferguson, Luke Watt.

McManus is injured and might not recover. Hammell is never going to stay fit. Blyth is finished at Fir Park. Luke Watt as well. Bowman can leave whenever he wants.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity who are you classing the 28? Not a dig just wondering as I'd have said 24 first team (including McMillan, Watt, Campbell, MacLean and Gordon).

BIGIRIMANA, Gael BLYTH, Jacob BOWMAN, Ryan CADDEN, Chris CAMPBELL, Allan CARSON, Trevor CLAY, Craig DUNNE, Charles FISHER, Alex FREAR, Elliott GORDON, Shea GRIFFITHS, Russell HAMMELL, Steven HASTIE, Jake HENEGHAN, Ben KIPRE, Cedric LIVINGSTONE, Adam MacLEAN, Ross McHUGH, Carl McMANUS, Stephen McMILLAN, Jack MOULT, Louis NEWELL, George ROSE, Andy TAIT, Richard TANNER, Craig THOMAS, Dom WATT, Luke

Of course Dom Thomas and Craig Clay have left and Ellis Plummer has come in. I mistakenly included Craig Clay but that still gives you 27 players.

• Like 2

We will absolutely be better than last season.

I dont honestly think SR is going to sign lower league english players if he thinks we have u20s good enough to step up now. To me (and I have seen them a few times) they are nowhere near ready to take on that responsibility and it could adversely affect their future careers.

To me the key is improve on last season and gradually move to a more home grown model and I have no doubt that will happen. It won't happen without shorter term improvement in the first team to keep the club safe and quite rightly thats where the focus is.

I have no doubt the Campbells and McLeans will get their chance as the season progresses but for now much as I would prefer a more home based squad what we have in terms of atheticism, age, and potential sell on is light years ahead of last season

Pretty much agree with that. In principle I too would like to see more home grown Scottish talent coming through our ranks but the reality is a bit more complex. We mustn't forget that Robbo has also been charged with keeping us in the Premiership. If he overplayed his hand by playing too many youngsters and we went down most fans would not be too forgiving. Be in no doubt that if our competitors thought they could steal a march on us by signing up a squad of non Scottish players they'd do so in a minute. Some of our young lads might well go out on loan to toughen them up and give them competitive gametime.

However when looking at our Under 20s we have to look, not just how good they are but also what kind of players they are. A simple question to start - should Peter Morrison have been clear second choice for goals? In terms of centre backs and left back, what youngsters could step into the team right now as cover and do a job? Midfield? I would see Alan Campbell as back up to Carl McHugh in terms of position. He's not an attacking midfielder. Should we prefer Ross MacLean and Jake Hastie to Elliot Frear and Craig Tanner (back up maybe)? What young strikers are pushing through just now?

These questions may throw up potential shortcomings in our past youth development set up. Its unlikely that our Under 20s will produce 11 great prospects for all positions at once. Historically we've maybe produced a maximum of 3 at any one time eg Hammell, Faddy and Pearson.

Recruitment from Scottish lower leagues is difficult and any decent prospects won't come cheap. There are also far fewer clubs and therefore less choice in Scotland's lower leagues as opposed to England's lower leagues.

Technically you are right including them in the first team but I personally wouldn't include Blyth or Watt as genuine first team players as it's more than likely both are finished at the club.

I would still class Hastie and Livingstone as predominantly U20's but obviously with the potential to break into the first team given their exposure towards the end of last season.

That gives us 23 (I think) including the younger guys like Gordon, Campbell and Maclean who are still eligible for the under 20's, which I think is about right.

I wonder if we'll see one of either Campbell or Gordon go out on loan this season or perhaps the likes of Turnbull who looks impressive from the 20's highlights.

Technically you are right including them in the first team but I personally wouldn't include Blyth or Watt as genuine first team players as it's more than likely both are finished at the club.

I would still class Hastie and Livingstone as predominantly U20's but obviously with the potential to break into the first team given their exposure towards the end of last season.

That gives us 23 (I think) including the younger guys like Gordon, Campbell and Maclean who are still eligible for the under 20's, which I think is about right.

I wonder if we'll see one of either Campbell or Gordon go out on loan this season or perhaps the likes of Turnbull who looks impressive from the 20's highlights.

I'd agree with that. Add Newell to the list who we stated as signed for U20 but with a view to push for the 1st team.

The newly updated first team page on the site gives a view as to who Robinson thinks is going to be part of it too I'd imagine.

I'd agree with that. Add Newell to the list who we stated as signed for U20 but with a view to push for the 1st team.

The newly updated first team page on the site gives a view as to who Robinson thinks is going to be part of it too I'd imagine.

And the 3 other lads we signed Liam Brown, Dylan King and Shaun Bowers

As I have said previously I don't like the way we are going with all these new signings. Have we just abandoned our youth set up?. No point I in us building a good youth set up if we don't give lads a chance. We would then struggle to attract youngsters to join the academy. I fear Campbell will disappear despite being excellent at end of last season. Mind you if we are getting results on the park then it is justified but I just feel we are ignoring our young players. COYW

Youth needs to be gently brought in and I wouldn't bring any into the Rangers game. Too big a step and can kill a players confidence. We need to nurture youth and that means gradual introduction.

Youth needs to be gently brought in and I wouldn't bring any into the Rangers game. Too big a step and can kill a players confidence. We need to nurture youth and that means gradual introduction.

Not sure about that. Over the years, many young Motherwell players in the very early stages of their career have had excellent games against good Rangers and Celtic teams. Most recently, Ross MacLean last December.

• Like 1

Not sure about that. Over the years, many young Motherwell players in the very early stages of their career have had excellent games against good Rangers and Celtic teams. Most recently, Ross MacLean last December.

I'd be inclined to agree with that. Whilst you wouldn't want to overload a team with youngsters against either of the two it can be a good opportunity to give players a taster in a game often with low expectation levels on them. If they flop nobody's going to think anything less of them because of the opposition but if they rise to the occasion but if they do hold their hold then it's a pretty good indicator of their strength of character at the very least.

To add to your Ross MacLean one of Lasley's first, if not the first games for the club was against Rangers at Ibrox for example. I remember Jamie Murphy getting a run out at Parkhead early in his career and Jack Leitch going toe-to-toe with Scott Brown quite early on in his. Even as recently as last season you had Jake Hastie making his debut away to Celtic if I remember rightly.

You also have the likes of Steven Meechan v Celtic under Gannon. Disnae always work.

Kind of illustrates the point a bit that it's almost a no lose situation for the youngsters concerned. Who thought any less of Meechan at the time, or indeed Pollock, for being thrown in that day?

I don't know Andy. Folk were less than happy with Jim Gannon for hanging a youngster out to dry. It was embarrassing. As for David Ferguson last season that was also very embarrassing and I really felt for him. Robbo did the right thing by taking him off post haste. Some youngsters would just shrug it off but others would really let it get to them and it could damage their careers.

Much has been made of the latest signing of Plummer ahead of developing a youth - I get that for some positions but from what I've read in reports and on here, it doesn't sound as though we have any stand - out defenders ready to step up.

I don't watch the under -20s so am happy to be corrected on this but it does look as though our fringe talent are almost all midfielders.

• Andy_P locked this topic