Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Ross County Sat 6 May 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Ross Maclean starting too. Could him come back in on the right and move Cadden inside?

I was quite impressed with McLean in the rare glimpses we saw. Especially a performance against Celtic if I recall. Was it the 4-3 game.

Hopefully he comes through the under 20's as another option for Saturday.

Samson/Pick somebody from the crowd

Cadden Heneghan Mchugh Hammell

Ainsworth Campbell Pearson Frear

Moult McDonald

I think we just have to accept that we are defensively weak down both flanks and will probably concede at least one against any team with competent wingers, our strength lies in our attacking and we should take advantage of that. This Ross County team aren't massively different from the one we battered 4-1 in October or the one we beat in Dingwall in January, and will be missing their first and third top scorers.

• Like 2

We will lose to Ross County and Accies will beat ICT to ensure we go to Douglas Park to secure Accies top flight place. We haven't the guts , guile or ability for this fight.

I can see that scenario playing out.

I can see that scenario playing out.

That comment came as a complete surprise.

I can also see us beating Ross County and Hamilton and Dundee losing or drawing, meaning we would leapfrog them both

The truth is somewhere in between. Dundee had a slice of luck against us and are away to a Killie team that have only lost to us and the top 2 since January !

You would like to think that Inverness will try and compete at Home v Hamilton - it really is their last chance imo. Lose and they will finish bottom of the league.

I think its somewhat ironic that our pitch is now one of the best in the league and we have reverted to a long ball game! Id like to see us get the ball down on the grass and make use of it!

4-4-2

Frear and Lionel both wide. Lets push them back and get some balls into the box for Moult and Skippy to attack.

There has to be a change in formation and tactics that takes out the 'chance' of long ball football. Play to the strengths of McDonald, Moult, Cadden, Frear and Ainsworth and see where it takes us.

Hopefully McDonald and Pearson recover in time.

I am not too confident of both of them being fit enough, certainly Pearson indicated he was "hopeful" of being fit and McDonald certainly looks like he had injured himself on Saturday

Can't believe some people on here want Ryan Bowman in our team for Saturday he's got to be one of the worst players I've seen at Fir Park. Does absolutely nothing. We need to play 4-4-2. Hope the likes of MacDonald and Pearson are fit. Cadden at right back cos McMillan is also crap he can't control a ball or make a pass. Big bonus that Boyce isn't playing . We need to get the 3 points no matter what.

Can't believe some people on here want Ryan Bowman in our team for Saturday he's got to be one of the worst players I've seen at Fir Park.

Yes we do need to go 4-4-2, but if MacDonald isn't fit who do suggest we play in the other striking role?

Based on posts so far, I am well and truly in the minority when I think we need to stick with 3 at the back plus 2 wingbacks

We don't have a decent left or right back.

We have a shit keeper.

Our available recognised centre backs are young and inexperienced.

Having the 3 adds an extra bit of marshalling to the back line, and in theory should compensate for the errors our team is prone to in defence. We go in 0-0 against Dundee, did you really see us getting beat??

Our last 2 run outs with a 4-4-2 we lost 7-2 to Aberdeen, 5-1 to Dundee. Does 4-4-2 work with our personnel? Some folk mentioning Mcmillan and Jules...oh dear.

Our goal difference is -24 overall, but -1 in Robinsons 8 games. Results aren't what we hoped,but not as bad as they were under McGhee. We have been in it every game since Robinson took over, maybe Partick being the exception.

Robinson is doing the best with what he has available, he didn't have a transfer window to adjust anything, he inherited a frail squad with 2 experienced defenders out for the season, a number of players walking wounded (Moult, Cadden, McDonald. Pearson...arguably our best 4 players), and some of the decisions that have went against us have contributed to costing us points. Mistakes are still happening, but there has been a better togetherness and fight, and hopefully the players will make amends for team mistakes that have cost us points and the injustices of bad officiating.

I trust Robinson to get us through the final 4 games in 10th or above.

• Like 2

Interesting stat re -1 goal difference in Robinsons 8 games, it certainly aint him thats got us into this mess. Agree with a lot of what you say regards the manager however Dundee sussed how to play against our current set up and McIntyre will have watched with interest so a plan 'b' is required. The fact there is no clear view from posters as to what personnel should fill what position in a 4-4-2 shows the difficulty the manager faces.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Don't know but he did seem to go off with a knock and he was holding his leg like it was injured.

Didn't look like something you just brush off but I'm not a physio and I was 70 yards away.

I actually thought it was cramp-like at the time...just the way he went down and appeared to try to stretch it off

A 4-4-2 is a must, if Ross County play with 1 striker and two wingers (which any manager worth their salt would do, if they've watched us) our game plan with a 3-4-3 is out the window...yes we can look more of a threat going forward at times but we are wide open at times, and completely hemmed in at others. The only way I'd ever play a 3 at the back is if we had 5 strung across the middle of the park to compensate for whatever tactics the opposition employ. With the 3-4-3 we have far too may 'square pegs, in round holes'.

As for who I'd start with...I actually think we have a few options in different areas, unfortunately goalkeeper doesnt seem to be one of them, and the fumbling disaster will no doubt start again.

In front of him, I'd start with Hammell at left back, McHugh and Heneghan in the middle and one of Cadden, McMillan or Ferguson at right-back...all three have their limitations in that position, I get that, but in theory full-back is the easiest position on the park to play in...'mark your man, keep your eye on the ball, try to prevent crosses and keep it simple', should be the instructions. If Cadden plays at right-back, then Ainsworth would ultimately get the nod at right-mid, which probably wont happen, but if it does it gives us a decent out-ball and at least Cadden would have someone, anyone, playing on that right-side with him, which he doesnt have just now...on the left it would most certainly be Frear, he's not set the heather on fire, but he is trying like a bear and with the defensive burden taken off him a bit, that should allow him to concentrate on going forward a bit more (hes completing 90mins regularly, how long did it take Marvin to get up to that level?).

The central midfield is my biggest selection headache...I'd love to take McHugh out of defence and stick him in midfield where he should be, but unfortunately Jules doesnt fill me with much confidence as a central defensive replacement. Campbell, Pearson, Lucas, Clay and Lasley have all had stints this season, and to be fair I'm not convinced of any of them. Campbell looks like he could be a player, and definitely has the work-rate required, but the other 4 have been a complete let-down this season for various reasons. Lucas probably wont see the light of day at Fir Park again, while Clay shouldnt. I've no idea if Pearo is fit, so I'll probably plump for Lasley to partner the youngster again, but will probably need replaced at some stage of the match, so hopefully Pearson can be made available for selection to some extent.

Up front, if its a front 2, it picks itself...Moult and McDonald.

Samson

Cadden Heneghan McHugh Hammell

Ainsworth Campbell Lasley Frear

Moult McDonald

• Like 1

A 4-4-2 is a must, if Ross County play with 1 striker and two wingers (which any manager worth their salt would do, if they've watched us) our game plan with a 3-4-3 is out the window...yes we can look more of a threat going forward at times but we are wide open at times, and completely hemmed in at others. The only way I'd ever play a 3 at the back is if we had 5 strung across the middle of the park to compensate for whatever tactics the opposition employ. With the 3-4-3 we have far too may 'square pegs, in round holes'.

As for who I'd start with...I actually think we have a few options in different areas, unfortunately goalkeeper doesnt seem to be one of them, and the fumbling disaster will no doubt start again.

In front of him, I'd start with Hammell at left back, McHugh and Heneghan in the middle and one of Cadden, McMillan or Ferguson at right-back...all three have their limitations in that position, I get that, but in theory full-back is the easiest position on the park to play in...'mark your man, keep your eye on the ball, try to prevent crosses and keep it simple', should be the instructions. If Cadden plays at right-back, then Ainsworth would ultimately get the nod at right-mid, which probably wont happen, but if it does it gives us a decent out-ball and at least Cadden would have someone, anyone, playing on that right-side with him, which he doesnt have just now...on the left it would most certainly be Frear, he's not set the heather on fire, but he is trying like a bear and with the defensive burden taken off him a bit, that should allow him to concentrate on going forward a bit more (hes completing 90mins regularly, how long did it take Marvin to get up to that level?).

The central midfield is my biggest selection headache...I'd love to take McHugh out of defence and stick him in midfield where he should be, but unfortunately Jules doesnt fill me with much confidence as a central defensive replacement. Campbell, Pearson, Lucas, Clay and Lasley have all had stints this season, and to be fair I'm not convinced of any of them. Campbell looks like he could be a player, and definitely has the work-rate required, but the other 4 have been a complete let-down this season for various reasons. Lucas probably wont see the light of day at Fir Park again, while Clay shouldnt. I've no idea if Pearo is fit, so I'll probably plump for Lasley to partner the youngster again, but will probably need replaced at some stage of the match, so hopefully Pearson can be made available for selection to some extent.

Up front, if its a front 2, it picks itself...Moult and McDonald.

Samson

Cadden Heneghan McHugh Hammell

Ainsworth Campbell Lasley Frear

Moult McDonald

Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts on the squad and the formation options at the minute. 4-4-2 is a must for me and I don't think it's any coincidence that Heneghan has started to make more errors since we switched to 3 at the back.

Having Ainsworth in the team should take the some of the creative burden off Frear and playing with 2 wide men should hopefully stop Moult from drifting wide where he is less effective.

Like you, I'd love McHugh back in the midfield but a back line of Heneghan and Jules with potentially Cadden at RB worries the hell out of me.

We've done reasonably well against County this year so fingers crossed it keeps up. I'll say a nervy 2-1 win after going 2 up.

• Like 1