Dom Thomas

livivoice

Notice he's been quick to say how delighted he is about joining killie, but failed to thank anyone at Motherwell fc for his time there.

Talent is one thing but a good attitude and desire is another and for me I didn't see any evidence of the latter two during his time with us

Don't wish him any harm and hope he goes on to live up to the early promise that he showed when he first came on the scene

• Like 1

I posted this on P&B in January when Thomas went on loan at QoS and had posted similar on here prior to that but I think it still largely holds true, even up to his performance in Stirling where he'd beat his man but his final ball was lacking. As others (including myself) have said "flatters to deceive" is an apt description for him.

I think this series of tweets from the MFC twitter feed on recent u20s games is quite illustrative of the 'problem' (such as it is) with Thomas;

vs St Mirren u20s

'67 | 1-1

Hastie links up with Thomas down the left, the latter charges at the defence, shimmies on to his left, strikes it, but it's saved.

'70 | 1-1

It's nearly brilliant from Thomas. He picks up the ball on edge of Saints box, beats his man with a cruyff turn but shoots over

'72 | 1-1

Thomas is at it again, beating his marker with ease & charging towards the box. His effort is better this time but Willison saves.

vs Falkirk u20s

'51 | 0-0

Nearly a wonder goal from Thomas. He beats his man, cuts in from the right and goes for power with his left, but it's inches over!

'63 | 1-0

'Well sub: McFadden is off and he's replaced by Hastie.

'66 | 2-1

'Well pull one back instantly! Campbell crosses towards Hastie who makes no mistake and fires it past Mehmet. Lively few minutes!

Invariably with Dom it's a case of "so close", "nearly brilliant", "nearly a wonder goal" etc. Whereas in the Falkirk game Hastie's on the park 3 mins and he's made an impact.

Off the top of my head in recent games Hastie has had goals against Thistle u20s, Cumbernauld Colts u20s, Falkirk u20s, Sevco u20s and in the 9-1 demolition of Aberdeen u20s. He also won the 2 penalties against Morton u20s. Tellingly that record is from the same wide attacking role as Thomas has had in the past.

• Like 2

To be honest, the only real moments during the last year that I even remembered he was a Motherwell player was whenever someone would point out his latest Celtic-daft, Green Brigade style tweet.

Perfectly happy with this move.

Based on last season Thomas just wasn't good enough.

Amble opportunity to prove him self last term playing just over 90 minutes of league football, comprising 4 sub appearances, three of which we were getting gubbed in when he came on.

The end for me was that 14 minute appearance against Kilmarnock when he failed to do anything to break the 0-0 deadlock. Mentioning that Scott McDonald, Louis Moult and Lionel Ainsworth started that match and did fuck all is merely a deflection tactic, one might even say evil and disingenuous sophistry. The blame for that performance rested purely on young Thomas.

Personally, in an age when our youth side win cups and achieve superb league placings, the only way to go is to ditch these youngster with their track record of success at youth level and focus purely on our next signing from Dagenham & Redbridge. Bradley Hudson-Odoi, Oliver Hawkins and Mitch Brundle come on down. The heady heights of 3rd bottom awaits.

Right up there with some of the shitest posts I've read on here, which is no mean feat. Well played.

• Like 4

Craig Reid says we have let the best player at the club leave.

I can see where he's coming from. Its quite possible if you were to canvas the opinion of Fir Park playing and management staff that they'd say Thomas had been the most talented player on our books. If that is the case then I would not disagree. However, he could not translate that talent and potential onto the pitch in games. It was said by quite a few players at the turn of the century that the most talented player, by far, on our books at the time was Derek Adams. His finishing ability was amazing. However we never saw that on the pitch. Having talent does not necessarily mean that a player can turn it on when it matters. Our history is littered with very very talented players who just didn't make it....John Gray, Ramsay Bryson, Junior Burns.....

• Like 2

Remember him coming on against St Mirren on a week night and toying with Jim Goodwin and being really excited about him.

Dont recall much else.

Best of luck to the boy but doubt we'll miss him and if he does carve out a solid spfl / english league one career I look forward to his resigning in 8-10 years time.

Based on last season Thomas just wasn't good enough.

Amble opportunity to prove him self last term playing just over 90 minutes of league football, comprising 4 sub appearances, three of which we were getting gubbed in when he came on.

The end for me was that 14 minute appearance against Kilmarnock when he failed to do anything to break the 0-0 deadlock. Mentioning that Scott McDonald, Louis Moult and Lionel Ainsworth started that match and did fuck all is merely a deflection tactic, one might even say evil and disingenuous sophistry. The blame for that performance rested purely on young Thomas.

Personally, in an age when our youth side win cups and achieve superb league placings, the only way to go is to ditch these youngster with their track record of success at youth level and focus purely on our next signing from Dagenham & Redbridge. Bradley Hudson-Odoi, Oliver Hawkins and Mitch Brundle come on down. The heady heights of 3rd bottom awaits.

Right up there with some of the shitest posts I've read on here, which is no mean feat. Well played.

Whilst I'm unperturbed by the general points made, the closing gambit I've highlighted has plenty of merit.

Discussed at length in our circle, general consensus was 'would rather our own products were shite rather than signing others who are guaranteed to be shite on more money'.

I think the Dom Thomas debate exemplifies a lot of what is wrong with Scottish football.

We seem to have a lot of youngsters who look to have the raw talent to become good footballers and who do well at youth level, but we dont seem to be very good at developing them from there to progress in the senior game.

Im sure the reasons are complex and many, but until we figure it out, our ranking/coefficient at club and international level will continue to slide.

As for Dom, good luck to the boy. I hope he makes it. But Im not devastated at his departure.

Also he couldn't pass water.

Disagree - I thought his passing was sharp and purposeful. He just couldny run, tackle and lacked a final ball.

Worth noting he's also only 21 and didn't get his debut till December 2014 which isn't the 4 years some folk are claiming.

Good luck to him - We need exciting players in this league and he's still got a bit of time to develop. I'd actually love to see his talent turn into something meaningful on the pitch - as long as he's shite against us I'd be delighted to see him do well.

I wonder if Killie have their own Nando's Police?

Disagree - I thought his passing was sharp and purposeful. He just couldny run, tackle and lacked a final ball.

Worth noting he's also only 21 and didn't get his debut till December 2014 which isn't the 4 years some folk are claiming.

Good luck to him - We need exciting players in this league and he's still got a bit of time to develop. I'd actually love to see his talent turn into something meaningful on the pitch - as long as he's shite against us I'd be delighted to see him do well.

I wonder if Killie have their own Nando's Police?

So his passing was sharp & purposeful, but he couldn't pass a ball in the final third?

In all fairness to Dom, if I was needing a winger to run straight at a full back, and hit the first defender with every attempted cross I'd have him as first name on the team sheet every week.

• Like 1

So his passing was sharp & purposeful, but he couldn't pass a ball in the final third?

In all fairness to Dom, if I was needing a winger to run straight at a full back, and hit the first defender with every attempted cross I'd have him as first name on the team sheet every week.

Ach you know what I mean. In the build up I thought his passing was pretty sharp and he was trying to move the ball about. When it came to whipping that final ball in, I agree he just couldny do it.

The fact that he could not break into the 1st team ahead of some of the utter dross we have seen at Fir park over the past couple of seasons tells you all you need to know about him, ie he was not good enough and never would be, surprised he was not away before now.

Robinson fairly direct about Thomas in his press conference.

Wanted him to go out on loan to get competitive football as he was behind Frear, Tanner and Cadden to play. Thomas made it clear he wanted to leave the club. Robinson basically said he wants players who want to be here.