Scottish Premiership Game 3: Ross County (H) Saturday 19/08/17

Andy_P

I think people forget that Robinson is still learning as a manager. I doubt many on here would demand a young player with less than a season under his belt to be the finished article and managers are in the same boat. Even guys like McGhee with 1000 games in management dont get their tactics spot on from the start every week, so I don't expect Robinson, with half a season at Oldham and a few months at Motherwell to either.

This.

Plus it's still early days with new players and regardless of what they do or don't do during training, trying a tactic in a competitive game is the only way to find out if it actually works.

And even if it does work, opponents have this nasty habit of playing well and/or changing things to counteract successful tactics.

If he's still making similar mistakes in February, that would be a concern.

• Like 1

First half was utter, turgid shite, verging on the embarrassing in my opinion. We looked miles off the pace, Moult was isolated, we had the old 'square pegs, round holes' scenario that I will never ever understand, we had 'star' signings like Bigirimana who genuinely looked lost and out his depth. I'm not going to be overly critical of the players, because I think that Robinson got the balance of his team all wrong.

As he has done before though, he had the balls to make the changes at half-time both in personnel and in formation, my only worry about that though is we could easily have been a goal or two down before he managed to make the changes. Tait at left-wing back, was a strange decision but he done well, while Cadden again proved to me that wide on the right is his best position, he performed really well there in the 2nd half of our game against killie towards the end of the season and again on Saturday. He has the legs, the power, the drive and only really needs to face one direction. I feel that he really struggles in the middle of the park, but not out wide.

Campbell and Bowman also made a massive difference, but I feel that Fisher can feel a little bit aggrieved at being hooked considering he had been fired out on the left touchline for the 1st 45mins. Regardless, Campbells tenacity and work-rate were fantastic, while Bowman is just a big honest guy, who will burst his arse for the cause.

By the end of the 90mins it really could and should have been more than 2-0.

• Like 1

Campbell and Bowman also made a massive difference, but I feel that Fisher can feel a little bit aggrieved at being hooked considering he had been fired out on the left touchline for the 1st 45mins. Regardless, Campbells tenacity and work-rate were fantastic, while Bowman is just a big honest guy, who will burst his arse for the cause.

By the end of the 90mins it really could and should have been more than 2-0.

Agree on Fisher. He was actually bursting a gut to chase things down the same way Bowman did when he came on, it just happened to be out wide. I think he could be a player when he actually gets played up top.

Felt sorry for Bowman that MacLean's pass to him when he was through was over hit. Noticed on the highlights he showed his frustration while chasing it down. If he'd got the ball and stuck it away it could have done his confidence the world of good.

• Like 2

I feel that Fisher can feel a little bit aggrieved at being hooked considering he had been fired out on the left touchline for the 1st 45mins.

Agree on Fisher. He was actually bursting a gut to chase things down the same way Bowman did when he came on, it just happened to be out wide. I think he could be a player when he actually gets played up top.

I'm pretty sure in Robinson's brief summing up on MFC TV he remarked that one or two weren't at 100% but had gone out and given their all nonetheless and Fisher's name was mentioned. May have played a part in his withdrawal at half-time.

• Like 1

Felt sorry for Bowman that MacLean's pass to him when he was through was over hit. Noticed on the highlights he showed his frustration while chasing it down. If he'd got the ball and stuck it away it could have done his confidence the world of good.

Bowman surprised me with the pace he showed to make himself available for the pass on that occasion.