Cup Final Fans Display

Dee

Just wondering, was the initial plan to have the display in the west stand only, similar to the 2011 cup final?

Could the extra funds be used to extend the display to our allocation in the south Stand?

Just a thought.

In principle a good idea but some folk may have contributed on the understanding that any excess monies would go to the Society. Its always a wee bit tricky changing the goalposts afterwards.

• Like 1

In principle a good idea but some folk may have contributed on the understanding that any excess monies would go to the Society. Its always a wee bit tricky changing the goalposts afterwards.

Agreed. The Bois have done a great job to organize this, and it has been an incredible response from the fans to hit the target so quickly.

Changing the plan now, however good the intention, might upset some of the contributors who expected the excess to help the Well Society.

I'm expecting 5 grand worth of flares and smoke bombs. Anything else will be a massive disappointment.

I was expecting one guy with a sparkler and the rest of the Bois watching a stream from their suite in Vegas.

(and I'd still have contributed)

• Like 1

Will the display been linked to the Phil O'Donnell tribute planned?

I hope not. I realise this may be controversial but I'm going to say it anyway. I will preface it by saying I love Phil O'Donnell and Davie Cooper.

I have no issue with using the backdrop of the league cup final to try and raise money for what is a very good cause. What I do find slightly irritating, as I did in 2005, is the prospect of making it 'The O'Donnell Final' in the same way 2005 was branded The Cooper Final. Strikes me as the media looking for a lazy hook to use in the build-up to the final. Motherwell don't get to enough finals for me to have the memory of a former player to remember the game by.

Maybe I'm just getting even more crabbit as I get older...

• Like 7

I hope not. I realise this may be controversial but I'm going to say it anyway. I will preface it by saying I love Phil O'Donnell and Davie Cooper.

I have no issue with using the backdrop of the league cup final to try and raise money for what is a very good cause. What I do find slightly irritating, as I did in 2005, is the prospect of making it 'The O'Donnell Final' in the same way 2005 was branded The Cooper Final. Strikes me as the media looking for a lazy hook to use in the build-up to the final. Motherwell don't get to enough finals for me to have the memory of a former player to remember the game by.

I think youre spot on.

Weve had a Phil Odonnell Tribute match (which was hi jacked by parading the league trophy and Henrik Larsson).

Meaning no disrespect to the memory of Phil Odonnell or Davie Cooper, but its an unnecessary distraction from what could be a great day for our club.

• Like 1

I think youre spot on.

Weve had a Phil Odonnell Tribute match (which was hi jacked by parading the league trophy and Henrik Larsson).

Meaning no disrespect to the memory of Phil Odonnell or Davie Cooper, but its an unnecessary distraction from what could be a great day for our club.

Totally agree with this....O'Donnell was a hero of mine when I was a young lad, I was there at Fir Park on the day that he passed away and I attended his funeral in Hamilton, but the 'O'Donnell Final' doesnt sit well with me. I'd rather we had a minutes applause prior to the match starting and leave it at that...our players and fans need to focus fully on this match and not have the game turned into a day of Celtic-style candle-lit vigil.

• Like 1

When you factor in the fact it was The S*n that first mentioned it, even going as far claim "we approached both clubs with the idea" means you are 100% spot on. They even floated the idea past the O'Donnell family first I believe.

Still, doesn't change the fact it probably will be billed as such. Would rather see us as a club do our own poignant tribute this Christmas to mark the 10th anniversary of his tragic passing. Parading the League Cup trophy at said tribute would be a nice touch.

As ONeils40yarder says, a minute applause at the start would be fitting, but nothing more needed.

Agree with the posts above.

Cringed when I read the Phil O'Donnell tribute stuff and immediately thought about how our entire participation in the 2005 final was over-shadowed by the Davie Cooper stuff.

I was then a bit concerned I was being really harsh, but then mentioned it to mates and realised they all thought exactly the same!