The Deal With Europe This Season?

brazilmfc

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right so Sheep are oot so where does that leave us ,going out on a limb and say Rangers win Scottish Cup so either Dunfermline or Falkirk get the Euro place , where does that leave us ?

Do we need to finnish 4th or better for Euro Place (excluding fair play thing ) ?

I posted it earlier already, but I am sure that ONLY the Cup Winner can qualify for Europe. If the winner does qualify through the league, the spot goes to the next team in the league...

Taken from http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s82

+ How can teams qualify for Europe?

This season's Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions qualify automatically for the group stage of the 2009/10 Champions League. The runners-up have two qualifying rounds to negotiate. Scotland have three places in the Europa League for next season, one of which goes to the Scottish Cup winners.

It's the SFA that allocate the places not the SPL, I had a quick check of SFA site I can't find any mention of it. I recall when it was first mentioned that only the winners could qualify the SFA applied too late but UEFA said they would not entertain the idea anyway.

It's the SFA that allocate the places not the SPL, I had a quick check of SFA site I can't find any mention of it. I recall when it was first mentioned that only the winners could qualify the SFA applied too late but UEFA said they would not entertain the idea anyway.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Michel platini, said that they will not take the Euro place away from the runners up as this is a fairytale route for smaller clubs ,their only ever chance of appearing on the European stage. :wacko:

Thats bollocks, the European places should be for the best teams in the country from the best league in the country. Fair enough if you win the Scottish Cup you get a place but the runners up shouldn't, that's rewarding failure. Whereas the league position is reward for performance over the whole season.

Thats bollocks, the European places should be for the best teams in the country from the best league in the country. Fair enough if you win the Scottish Cup you get a place but the runners up shouldn't, that's rewarding failure. Whereas the league position is reward for performance over the whole season.

So being second in a competition is rewarding failure but giving the reward to the team finishing 5th in another competition isn't. ;);)

Thats bollocks, the European places should be for the best teams in the country from the best league in the country. Fair enough if you win the Scottish Cup you get a place but the runners up shouldn't, that's rewarding failure. Whereas the league position is reward for perfomance over the whole season.

Plus it wrecks the coefficient!

Great example of how idiotic this is was Gretna's run in the 05/06 cup.....

1st round vs Preston Athletic (6-0)

2nd round vs Cove Rangers (6-1)

3rd round vs St Johnstone (1-0)

4th round vs Clyde (0-0)R(4-0)

1/4 final vs St Mirren (1-0)

Semi final vs Dundee (3-0)

Hardly a run worthy of a place in any final

SFL Challange cup possibly.

Oh and we - along with the other big? teams - have done such a good job of aiding the co-efficient ;) .

Give all teams the opportunity by which ever means to qualify for Europe. Think there are very few here who wouldn't have quite happily snapped your hand off for European qualification as Runners-up in the Cup.

Oh and we - along with the other big? teams - have done such a good job of aiding the co-efficient ;) .

Give all teams the opportunity by which ever means to qualify for Europe. Think there are very few here who wouldn't have quite happily snapped your hand off for European qualification as Runners-up in the Cup.

This season was a minor hicup ;)

Whether you agree with the rule or not, the fact is that St Johnstone, St Mirren and Dundee have all knocked us out the cup in recent seasons. Gretna beat them all and were unlucky to lose the final.

The rules are set down at the start of the season, so good luck to them IMO.

We'll just have to finish 4th now.

And there's also the Fair Play places.

isn't the fair play place to do with the leagues overall as a whole, rather than guaranteeing that the best fair play team in the SPL gets a place?

I.E. if poland's fair play score was better than ours they'd get the extra space?

RankTeamYellowRedPoints

Celtic

Motherwell

ST Mirren

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Aberdeen

Rangers

Hibernian

Dundee United

Heart of Midlothian

Hamilton Academical

Falkirk

Kilmarnock

I watched the rugby Ok the result didn't go our way Humped by England again :lol:

But im very impressed by there discipline, no crowding the ref, no disputing of decisions and no feigning of injuries.

The ref even talks to them telling them to watch and stay onside :(

The fair play award isnt too far away and that's how Man city are in the Euro spot not that i think for a min we could get in that way.

Every team in the SPL and Europe will have players being booked in every game. It is unusual for a club to expect a game, never mind a run of games without picking up bookings. So one player being booked is not gonna cause us to lose our place.

So Why? Where is the logic in there? Or are you already formulating your next reason to want McGhee sacked? :D