Jambos Are Not Better .. They're Luckier

Well Up For It!

Shuggie Says Hearts Are Shite!

STEPHEN HUGHES insists Hearts are not better than Motherwell — just LUCKIER.

Well lost to the Jambos on Wednesday to slip 12 points behind them in the race for third place.

Sparks flew after the match when furious Fir Park manager Mark McGhee claimed Csaba Laszlo told him to 'f*** off'.

Tynecastle gaffer Laszlo hit back immediately and insisted McGhee abused him first with words that could have 'started a war.'

Now Well midfielder Hughes has sparked further tension between the clubs by claiming Hearts are fortunate to be sitting third in the SPL.

Hughes — who hit the Fir Park side's goal in the 2-1 defeat — said: "I don't know what it is that Hearts have.

"Watching the game, you wouldn't say they were better than us. I don't think they're a better team than us. It's maybe a bit of luck.

"At the start of the season, we had a blip and they picked up points. That's why they have a gap on us.

"But there is a lot of football to be played. This result isn't even a blip, just a bad result from a good performance.

"As long as it's still mathematically possible, we'll be chasing third.

"Last season we finished third by a good margin, but Aberdeen came with a late charge.

"There is always a team that comes up late and, hopefully, that can be us this time. We've not written ourselves off."

Hughes, below right, also insisted the late winner from Ruben Palazuelos which ended Well's nine-game unbeaten SPL run would not dent morale.

He added: "I thought we had earned at least a point. To lose at the death is hard to take.

"We put so much into it, which is why the boys are so disappointed. We're able to take consolation from how we played, though.

"Every time we go to Tynecastle we put on a good show, but this time I thought we were brilliant from start to finish.

"We've got Dundee United at home next and I'm sure if we keep playing like that we'll do all right this season.

"Our first aim is to make the top six, then take it from there.

"I don't think losing to Hearts will knock our confidence. I think we're back to our best now, with a settled squad and players who have come back from injury. Key players.

"Let's hope this loss is just a one-off and we can kick on now. Anybody who watched us against Hearts would say we deserved a point.

"It wasn't to be, so we just have to look forward to the Dundee United game."

Hearts striker Christian Nade has revealed he visited Stephen Craigan in hospital after he accidentally knocked him out during Wednesday's game.

Nade's shoulder caught Well defender Craigan on the head and he lay motionless for a few worrying moments.

Craigan was released yesterday, but Nade admitted: "I was lost, I didn't know where I was. He couldn't move, so I was like 'what have I done?'.

"I wanted to leave the pitch and go home at that time. It was a real shock. I was scared.

"I hope he is okay. I think he will be, that's why I went to the hospital."

Quality comments from Shug, and spot on in my mind. Dirty Jammy Bastards that they are.

Notice Nade comments too - fair play to the big guy.

"STEPHEN HUGHES insists Hearts are not better than Motherwell — just LUCKIER."

See if we had won and a Hearts player said that about us it would sound like sour grapes. That along with McGhee's outburst because an opposition manager said "Fuck Off" to him is a bit embarrassing. We got beaten on the night and that's that. We've won a few games that we shouldn't have and none of our opposition has said anything about it. Every team gets beat whether they play good or bad and we are no exception. Just concentrate on the next game and let this one rest.

Hughes is only saying what is true...and what we, and they, know to be the case. FHW remind me of Abersheepies from a couple of seasons ago, still don't know how on Earth they managed to make it through the group stages of Europe only winning ONE group game!!

"STEPHEN HUGHES insists Hearts are not better than Motherwell — just LUCKIER."

See if we had won and a Hearts player said that about us it would sound like sour grapes. That along with McGhee's outburst because an opposition manager said "Fuck Off" to him is a bit embarrassing. We got beaten on the night and that's that. We've won a few games that we shouldn't have and none of our opposition has said anything about it. Every team gets beat whether they play good or bad and we are no exception. Just concentrate on the next game and let this one rest.

Tbf, the bit you quoted. The title of the article is not what he said.

What he said was...

"Watching the game, you wouldn't say they were better than us. I don't think they're a better team than us. It's maybe a bit of luck.

Can't disagree with that.

Then he says...

"At the start of the season, we had a blip and they picked up points. That's why they have a gap on us.

Can't argue with that either.

"But there is a lot of football to be played. This result isn't even a blip, just a bad result from a good performance.

"As long as it's still mathematically possible, we'll be chasing third.

"Last season we finished third by a good margin, but Aberdeen came with a late charge.

"There is always a team that comes up late and, hopefully, that can be us this time. We've not written ourselves off."

Is that not looking to the future?

Tbf, the bit you quoted. The title of the article is not what he said.

What he said was...

Can't disagree with that.

Then he says...

Can't argue with that either.

Is that not looking to the future?

The last quote is fair enough , the others are not worth mentioning imo.

Need to remember that footballers are not placed in front of interviewer or press conference and told to open their mouth and let their belly rumble. They are asked questions and from them come answers which they mold into a story. Nothing in that article in derogatory or untrue. Its all opinion (caveated with the word maybe) and geared at firing our team up to chase them down.

And the reason Hearts are third is that they have this ability to defend which we seem to find so difficult. Hearts would not have lost the goals we lost the other night. Maybe very occasionally but we have done it consistently through the season. Hearts may not be the most exciting team but they are well organised, hard to break down and score against and for that alone well worthy of third place in my opinion.

As disappointing as it was to lose during the week. It could be argued we were fortunate to take all 3 points against the Accies at home and ICT away. That is the way the season works. Very few teams are that far ahead in class v the Well, but you could also argue that very few are behind in class.

In essence that means that most games will be settled by one goal and it maybe an offside, deflection or penalty that never was or was not given in our favour.

It does not detract from the fact that if we had a solid defence we would never have lost either goal. When that last throw in came in - we should have been battling to clear our lines. It was all rather pathetic truth be told.

On a positive note. Had we got a well deserved draw v Hearts and another against either Hamilton or ICT away we would actually be on one point less.

Our focus now has to be on the top 6 - anything else is a bonus.

Our focus now has to be on the top 6 - anything else is a bonus.

Don't agree. I agree with Hughes, our focus should be third. Although likely impossible, it is still the highest possible place we can finish (barring financial meltdown from the Old Firm :rolleyes: ). Any aim less would be a worry for me, as we are selling ourselves way shorter than the max. Might as well aim for 75% performance from now till the end of the season.

Note though, this does not mean we should be unhappy if we fail to reach our maximum target. But I would be very upset if McGhee or the players were happy just to be in the top six like you are making out from this position.

The phrase walk before you run springs to mind.

Without the injuries we had in Nov/Dec I am quite sure we would have been in 3rd or 4th. But we have a smallish squad and we were never going to be as lucky as last season with injuries.

Realistically I agree with McGhee - I think 3rd has gone.

Right now we are no certainty to reach the top 6. Hibs on paper have an easier set of fixtures even though I believe we both have 3 at home and 2 away. We just hope that Mixu has still lost the dressing room as I learned during the week from a friend of John Rankin. His man management skills are piss poor and hopefully the Accie win was just a blip :rolleyes:

Until is is mathematically impossible then we should aim to finish 3rd or as high as possible. I believe my last post was about realism not a lack of ambition.

Whoever is 6th at the split will have a chance of chasing down the other three. We need to make sure it is us. But if we don't come 6th then the season ends. I think third is away - Hearts I doubt will drop enough points to allow us to claw back 12. 4th is very possible.

a damn good 9 game run, on the end of a pretty dissmal run, it's been a topsy turvy season so far, but at least we are in the mix for Top-6 and with the loss of Rossco and now Porter, that is an achievement IMHO.
Absolutely. It makes you wonder what we could have achieved if we didn't have half out first team out earlier in the season. To come back with the 9 game run and still have a shot at Europe is okay by me.

Guess a good indication of that will come next week-end. Everyone should be fit, Craggs back playing and Coach in place - full squad. Perfect chance to prove we are the best of the rest with everyone available.

Guess a good indication of that will come next week-end. Everyone should be fit, Craggs back playing and Coach in place - full squad. Perfect chance to prove we are the best of the rest with everyone available.

And perhaps for the first time this season McGhee has a positive defensive decision to make! Does Coach come straight back in at the expense of McLean, or perhaps a wee rest for Reynolds??

And the reason Hearts are third is that they have this ability to defend which we seem to find so difficult. Hearts would not have lost the goals we lost the other night. Maybe very occasionally but we have done it consistently through the season. Hearts may not be the most exciting team but they are well organised, hard to break down and score against and for that alone well worthy of third place in my opinion.

Good point. This is the real reason why we are 6th and they are 3rd.

I can't believe we will go another close season without strengthening central defence. I don't want to put too much faith in Stretch as he's just back from injury. But can we please sign a big, hard 6 footer to marshall our back line?

Good point. This is the real reason why we are 6th and they are 3rd.

I can't believe we will go another close season without strengthening central defence. I don't want to put too much faith in Stretch as he's just back from injury. But can we please sign a big, hard 6 footer to marshall our back line?

Earlier in the season, Mcghee said 6 footers were too short. He wanted 6'4" or 6'5".

Have to say considering our threadbare squad we've did ok this season and top 6 is still a possibility but next season we'll lose Smith and Hughes and we REALLY need to get decent players in or we could be in bother like we were for a spell this season. I dont believe Hearts have been lucky we haven;t been good enough when we needed BIG performances this season we didn't produce time and time again. Nancy. St.Mirren and Hearts are just 3 games that prove we need new players in. Hopefully a top 6 finish will give us more cash to do that and help get our midden of a pitch in order. :( . Sorry folks but the truth hurts.

Hello there I am a guy age 23 and come from scotland and support hearts i joined the motherwell forum to chat to other supporters about stuff . such as football and motor racing i was just wondering does anybody have the motherwell fc head supporters contact . can you guys (somebody please enter it in as a link for everybody else.

its a hard ask but everybody knows that each club has one they organise the buses and tickets for the away games .