2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Delighted with this. It is a bit of theatre  apart from anything else which is what football is all about.

I have a hunch this is going to work out very nicely. Put it this way IF Moult and Van Veen can play in the same team and IF they can strike up a decent partnership then it is happy days 

Let's be honest, if we were getting the Louis of 4 years ago then no way would he be here on loan. However we were all desperate for another striker and we have got a guy who if you look at his Twitter account still has great love for our club. I hope it works out for him and he deserves all the time and patience. If it doesn't then he still gave me one of my best days as a well fan when we won league cup semi v gers ... COYW 

• Like 2

Nothing will tarnish his first spell but expectations should be pretty low this time around.hes never going to be the same player or be the main man and that's fine,we don't need him to be,we needed someone to come in and provide competition and cover and if we can get even a small return in terms of goals along with van veens contribution then we will have done well out of this deal.if louis can get a lift and take confidence being back in familiar territory and get a run of games and stay fit,this could turn out not to bad for us.

We certainly need some perspective. He made 10 appearance last season and hasn't started a game for Burton Albion this season. I think the most minutes he has is 35.

If we can get up him to speed and keep him fit he'll, of course, be an asset. With his recent record, however, he could be keeping Jake company.

Where exactly is the risk many folk are exaggerating? If he is fit but only half as good as he was, then he will be the second best striker we have. If he is anywhere near as good as we remember then he will push and concentrate VV. And his work ethic and hunger will rub off on the rest of the squad

If he is injured and cannot play then you would expect the terms of the loan to allow us to return him to his parent club. He has fond memories of Fir Park and clearly gets on with Hammell. So his commitment will not be in doubt. 

The wages have been freed up and I would rather we give Moult a chance than try some journeyman second rate striker. If it does not work out with Moult, there will be plenty Free Agents available and that option will still be out there.

It is a punt, but I don't see any risk. Are we better off player wise than we were last night? Well we are certainly no worse.

11 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Where exactly is the risk many folk are exaggerating? If he is fit but only half as good as he was, then he will be the second best striker we have. If he is anywhere near as good as we remember then he will push and concentrate VV. And his work ethic and hunger will rub off on the rest of the squad

If he is injured and cannot play then you would expect the terms of the loan to allow us to return him to his parent club. He has fond memories of Fir Park and clearly gets on with Hammell. So his commitment will not be in doubt. 

The wages have been freed up and I would rather we give Moult a chance than try some journeyman second rate striker. If it does not work out with Moult, there will be plenty Free Agents available and that option will still be out there.

It is a punt, but I don't see any risk. Are we better off player wise than we were last night? Well we are certainly no worse.

Absolutely spot on

Just had a look back at tommy coyne. On wiki he was 31 when we got him..lacked a bit of pace,but he was deadly in the box and more often than not it was just knowing where to be that got him his goals,if anyone can remember his hatrick at Kilmarnock where he chipped the keeper from 25 yrds and look at the goal louis scored against THEM in the semi final lobbing the keeper from30 yards thats confidence and instinct both had/have,louis may have slowed a bit since we last had him but he wont have lost his know how and his eye for goal,..promising times ahead

Just now, MJC_mkII said:

Seriously? :lol:

I get that he is injury prone but I don’t see how anyone can can describe this as a disaster, on paper or otherwise.

We are signing a guy who has only played the equivalent of 20x90 minutes in almost five years. 

If it was literally anyone else in the world other than Moult we would be up in arms. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We are signing a guy who has only played the equivalent of 20x90 minutes in almost five years. 

If it was literally anyone else in the world other than Moult we would be up in arms. 

Fair enough it’s a risk but to describe it as a ‘disaster’? Bit of a stretch imo.

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

100 percent spot on.Same goes for Aaron's aswell folk would be up in arms questioning these signings if it say been Alexander.

What's next Grimmy?He was out for a good 8 months.

Long term injuries that these two have had serious ones at that are a major risk.Even to the point of they feel it could be out for weeks as precautions.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

And if he gets (or is) crocked he can return to Burton.  If it works out we have made the deal of the window. On and off the pitch possibly At no risk. 

I can think of some we signed up that were only at Fir Park to top up there pension fund. Ciftci, McCormack spring to mind. How fit were they? How much did they milk us for? I might be wrong but I don't imagine Moult falls into that category.

Hopefully it works out. If not no harm done. 

• David locked this topic