2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, spudmfc said:

Agree he may not b "match sharp"but he should b fit enough to a degree,pre season and daily training sessions for past 2 months or so,i think we may see him on the bench on saturday having had a weeks training to bed in,he did look fit as a flea in the welcome video i saw,hoping t see him in the team soon

As long as he isnt carrying any new injuries we dont know about, if he has had a full pre season behind him, he should certainly be fit for the bench.  A 10 / 15 minute cameo will do fine right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I doubt any new manager is going to look at his stats over the last four years and be desperate to take him back. Regardless of who’s in charge I would be amazed if he’s not a free agent in the summer.

I think the issue is that JFH let him go and they now only have 1 or 2 recognised strikers

54 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Looking at the way we are playing now what’s obvious is Alexander actually signed some good players.  Goss, Slattery, Tierney, Spittal, McGinn, for starters, he just refused to let them play.

That was the thing that most frustrated me about GA. In the few minutes a game where we played some football you could see there were players there, but GA seemed to be completely addicted to the launching it and playing off second balls.

11 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Grimmy signs for Morton

Glad to see Grimmy get a club. Maybe not at the level he would have hoped, but gets him back in the shop window. I wish him all the best.

• Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 8:05 PM, wellfan said:

Goalkeepers

Kelly - class
Fox - ok
Connelly - ?

Defenders

SOD - ok
Carrol - injured and crap
Sol - crap
Mugabi - crap
Ojala - made of glass
Lamie - ok
McGinley - crap
McGinn - ok
Johnston - shows promise
Devine - ?

Midfielders

Maguire - acceptable
Spittal - acceptable
Slattery - ok
Goss - ok
Tierney - ok
Cornelius - ok

Forwards

KVV - ok
Shields - crap
Efford - crap
Morris - crap
Mahon - ?

Summary

A team of Motherwell's level will inevitably always have to carry some crap; however, we are overwhelmingly crap due to Alexander. We need to make a lot of signings or we're going down. We need, at least: 1x winger, 2x forwards, 2x centre backs, 1x left back, 1x creative midfielder and 1x big bastard tough guy. 

Six weeks later. Some thoughts:

Has Hammy finally booted Morris and now Shields out of the match day squad? It would seem so. 

Efford is much improved now that he is playing as an attacker on the right side. Injured now, however. 

If Lamie is toast after today, we badly need another central defender. I notice he's also now the vice captain. 

We singed McKinstry, Aarons, and Moult, so that's the 3 forward players we needed, although Aarons is now injured. 

New LB is great.

Goss is the creative midfielder we hoped he would become. 

We just need to be more clinical in front of goal now and hope our injury list isn't too bad. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Lack of signings of better players than we have will see us involved in a relegation battle right up to the last day . Got to question the recruitment during the window SH got no help . 

Stop talking shite we wont be anywhere near a elegation battle this season. Penny at LB  is an upgrade on  Carroll or mcginley , Moult is an upgrade on Shields, McKinstry is an upgrade on McGuire in Midfield, and the big keeper we signed Oxborough is allegedly a better keeper than Fox.

So the team has been strengthened and improved in all areas,  and combined with the tactical changes SH  has made we look a much better team, the goals will come. 

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Stop talking shite we wont be anywhere near a elegation battle this season. Penny at LB  is an upgrade on  Carroll or mcginley , Moult is an upgrade on Shields, McKinstry is an upgrade on McGuire in Midfield, and the big keeper we signed Oxborough is allegedly a better keeper than Fox.

So the team has been strengthened and improved in all areas,  and combined with the tactical changes SH  has made we look a much better team, the goals will come. 

Everybody knows we needed centre backs and experienced midfield players so your talking shite 

34 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Lack of signings of better players than we have will see us involved in a relegation battle right up to the last day . Got to question the recruitment during the window SH got no help . 

Oh Yoda, here we go again.

• David locked this topic