2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Saw an article today stating that James Scott has been told he is free to find a new club in January having not featured for Hull in over a year (Hibs loan last season with 16 appearances, 4 goals 1 assist). Still only 22 and we know he can play in a front three if that is the system we are going to persist with this season.

Pure speculation and know some folk are averse to former players returning. Just seems like his career has gone a bit off track since departing and his links to the club may make him a viable option. Not really an out and out striker though, which may be more of a priority. Thoughts?

Also - hello all. Have been checking this forum for years so thought may as well sign up and throw in an opinion every now and again..! I'm a 'Well supporter from the Highlands with family ties to the town/area. Been following since 1996/97 season following persistent coaxing from the old man when I was 8, christ! Proud owner of a signed Eliphas Shivute picture, which must be worth at least 8 pounds now.

Edited by mothman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mothman said:

Saw an article today stating that James Scott has been told he is free to find a new club in January having not featured for Hull in over a year (Hibs loan last season with 16 appearances, 4 goals 1 assist). Still only 22 and we know he can play in a front three if that is the system we are going to persist with this season.

Pure speculation and know some folk are averse to former players returning. Just seems like his career has gone a bit off track since departing and his links to the club may make him a viable option. Not really an out and out striker though, which may be more of a priority. Thoughts?

Also - hello all. Have been checking this forum for years so thought may as well sign up and throw in an opinion every now and again..! I'm a 'Well supporter from the Highlands with family ties to the town/area. Been following since 1996/97 season following persistent coaxing from the old man when I was 8, christ! Proud owner of a signed Eliphas Shivute picture, which must be worth at least 8 pounds now.

Welcome to the forum Mothman and look forward to seeing you post your views.  I would happily see Scott back, we need more options up front and maybe being back in an environment he knows could help him find his form again 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats Scott Fox left the club. He was never really going to feature. 

I have to say he was a strange signing regarding getting games as apart from a friendly he hasn’t played a single competitive game, I cannot comment on his ability as I haven’t seen him play a single game, I suppose he was a bit unfortunate to be deputy to Liam.

Anyway I wish him all the best for the future wherever that will be!

Just listening to Hammy's interview and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of transfers. It will be a difficult window, thats for sure. Maybe he's just playing his cards close to his chest but its slightly corncerning that he refers to bringing in maybe 1 or 2 and having to be creative. Make of that what you will.

46 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just listening to Hammy's interview and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of transfers. It will be a difficult window, thats for sure. Maybe he's just playing his cards close to his chest but its slightly corncerning that he refers to bringing in maybe 1 or 2 and having to be creative. Make of that what you will.

We need forwards or we are in deep you know what 

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I genuinely do not believe we have any more cash to spend on wages etc. From what I believe we are back to having to sell players to bring any in.

January is now looking to be an even more important month for us than it was just 12 hours ago. A lot, and increasing amount of pressure on Hammy and the Board. It simply won't be enough to bring in 1/2/3/4 players. They have to first picks, improve the team and be fit enough to hit the ground running. We don't have the luxury of giving them 4/5/6 weeks to get up to speed. A big ask for a January window.

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

January is now looking to be an even more important month for us than it was just 12 hours ago. A lot, and increasing amount of pressure on Hammy and the Board. It simply won't be enough to bring in 1/2/3/4 players. They have to first picks, improve the team and be fit enough to hit the ground running. We don't have the luxury of giving them 4/5/6 weeks to get up to speed. A big ask for a January window.

Can I ask, in all seriousness, is this even remotely possible?

I can see the need for radical change, I just don’t know if the players are available to achieve it through wheeling and dealing in the January transfer window.

Really dont see us getting any more than another 2 players in over and above the one we have already. Whether they will even improve our options or just give us more back up is up for debate. 

10 hours ago, The African said:

Can I ask, in all seriousness, is this even remotely possible?

I can see the need for radical change, I just don’t know if the players are available to achieve it through wheeling and dealing in the January transfer window.

Its not impossible but it'll be difficult in the extreme. Funds will be limited but we have to try, within our budget. 

48 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its not impossible but it'll be difficult in the extreme. Funds will be limited but we have to try, within our budget. 

Our budget included spending 2 million quid on stadium renovations we didn't need. 

If we don't have the money to put a competent team on the park in a year which is sure to be our all time highest expenditure then heads should roll. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Really dont see us getting any more than another 2 players in over and above the one we have already. Whether they will even improve our options or just give us more back up is up for debate. 

be interesting to see if any of our players are wanted by other clubs. S'OD for example is a very decent player that doesn't seem to be our first choice.    Letting a few of the fringe players move to other clubs could free up wages. 

To your point, whether those we can bring in will improve us is the real challenge.  I don't recall many decent players saving us at this time of year, other than youngsters like Tunrbull and Hastie's purple patch. 

• Like 1

Not sure if all the talk of having no budget is accurate. Was speaking to one of our players and his father who is a neighbour a couple of weeks ago.

He was telling me Oxborough is on £2.5k a week. If we are willing to splash out £125k a year on a player to sit on the bench then surely there most be money to pay for a couple of decent standard midfielder's and a forward.

59 minutes ago, ExitNorth said:

Not sure if all the talk of having no budget is accurate. Was speaking to one of our players and his father who is a neighbour a couple of weeks ago.

He was telling me Oxborough is on £2.5k a week. If we are willing to splash out £125k a year on a player to sit on the bench then surely there most be money to pay for a couple of decent standard midfielder's and a forward.

any player earning that kind of cash with us should be a first team starter. Unless we intend for Kelly to move on, that seems a waste.

Just noticed he's 6ft 4.  For 2..5k per week get him stripped and play him centre half next week :)

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Our budget included spending 2 million quid on stadium renovations we didn't need. 

If we don't have the money to put a competent team on the park in a year which is sure to be our all time highest expenditure then heads should roll. 

Don’t think the board budgeted for £250K to get rid of Alexander

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Which renovations did we not need then? Pitch, stadium, toilets, catering points enlighten us to why they were not required,  as no doubt you would be the first on here complaining about any of them being sub standard.

• Like 1

It'll be an interesting transfer window to say the least. It's nice to see we have done some business early, I hope Hammell and co have done their homework on Blaney, hoping he's not been signed on the back of looking like Maldini against us. 

I know it's never easy getting quality in for the likes of us as we don't have one curdy to spend but we frequently get our players in late on in the window, it would be refreshing to get organised prompt.

I know it was mentioned we would likely only add a few additions but it will be interesting to see what happens to Moult as he was getting assessed by Burton not too long ago. Furthermore, the guy is entitled to stay as he is contracted but I wonder if Hammell would look to try and move on Morris.

Based on nothing at all, you can't help feel it's going to get worse before it gets better as I fear Penney will be off soon.

15 hours ago, pretzel said:

Based on nothing at all, you can't help feel it's going to get worse before it gets better as I fear Penney will be off soon.

Penney is a strange one and we've heard little about his position. Very much like Steve Hammell. Very good on the ball going forward but poor off it when defending. However with both McGinley and Carroll injured long term what is the alternative? 

• David locked this topic