2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

An interesting article from the Rancid on Logan Dunachie. Very one sided and it shows our place in the media pecking order...........below East Kilbride. No way would the article have been written in that way if either of the gruesome twosome was involved.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/east-kilbride-boss-responds-motherwell-28978532?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

45 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

SOD can play left back fine. Maybe not ideal, but the few occasions he has played there he hasnt let us down and has probably shown up better than many of the games he has played RB.

Im hoping Blaney is going to be an upgrade at CB, which is where our real problems lie. Hopefully he gets a start this weekend.

I agree about o'donnell I would be happy to go with him at left back and use any of the budget elsewhere rather than bring in another left back.after the defending in the last two games and now up against lower league opposition then surely we will see blaney on saturday,it would be the ideal time to try him out.

45 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

An interesting article from the Rancid on Logan Dunachie. Very one sided and it shows our place in the media pecking order...........below East Kilbride. No way would the article have been written in that way if either of the gruesome twosome was involved.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/east-kilbride-boss-responds-motherwell-28978532?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Looks like the Rancid have some work experience kids in... The article is a mess and a complete non-story, it's exactly how the loan system works. 

Thanks for sharing all the same 👍

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Yes hes always played cb to my knowledge but hes left sided and a 6,3 left back would be good. Players get pigeonholed for a position far too easily imo. 

They are professional players so obviously have a high level of ability and that sometimes just needs some wee tweaks to perform in a role more suited to help them progress in their careers as well as their respective teams.

Loads of examples over years.

If not then SOD simply has to come in. A recent 25 cap scotland international should have a major role within our team but for whatever reason he does not. I hope that gets sorted out as a matter of priority. 

Nathan McGinley says hello.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Cant see anything wrong with this article Youth Player go's o loan gets recalled perhaps because of playing time so what. EK manager is entitled to play who he chooses and when.

5 hours ago, gaz7 said:

If not then SOD simply has to come in. A recent 25 cap scotland international should have a major role within our team but for whatever reason he does not. I hope that gets sorted out as a matter of priority.

I agree. The situation surrounding him has dragged on a bit, and considering he's out of contract this summer he either has to play or move on.

Just now, pretzel said:

I'm sensing Penney will not be back after seeing his Twitter goodbyes.

Exactly,he won't be back if his twitter message is anything to by.i thought he was decent for us but the last couple of games he looked as bad the rest of the defence.its a bit of a concern though that's another position we need to do something with at this stage of the season.

Im still in disbelief that we haven't been linked with at least a centre half which is the one position we really need another body in as Blaney can't do it alone.

Add to that we now need a left back which to be fair should have been known unless they haven't been talking to Penny.

• Like 1

It's rare that we bring in any player that the media has us linked to.

I'm pretty sure our managers and coaches know what we need, but as always, that's the easy part of the job. The tough part is finding someone in January who is better than what we have, that we can afford, that their club will release and that wants to come and play for us.

• Like 1

If someone can cover his wages and give him regular games then we can take stock in the summer. We're not going to get a fee so I'm not sure we'd be in a rush to sell instead of a loan. 

Morris will probably be the same, with a year an a half on his deal I can see a loan being the likely option. 

If we are not gonna play him through the middle and give him a fair crack at his natural position, and there is no evidence to suggest thats likely, then its probably best for both parties if he moves on......

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

If someone can cover his wages and give him regular games then we can take stock in the summer. We're not going to get a fee so I'm not sure we'd be in a rush to sell instead of a loan. 

Morris will probably be the same, with a year an a half on his deal I can see a loan being the likely option. 

Shields and sol 3 year deals, Morris 2 year deal,. McGinley and Carroll contract extensions.  Carlsberg don't make a hash of contracts.......but if they did

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Shields and sol 3 year deals, Morris 2 year deal,. McGinley and Carroll contract extensions.  Carlsberg don't make a hash of contracts.......but if they did

As I've said elsewhere, the club is now financially crippled because they let Alexander live his arrogant fantasy.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wellfan said:

As I've said elsewhere, the club is now financially crippled because they let Alexander live his arrogant fantasy.

When we've signed players on 1yr deals the complaint is that's not long enough.

It's always a gamble either way.

I'm not sure we're exactly financially crippled though based on the last set of accounts. We do work to a budget though to ensure we don't do a John Spencer type deal.

Also, don't we have insurance that pays (or assists) with salaries for players with long-term injuries? I'm sure that used to be how it worked, but don't know if it applies these days.

• David locked this topic