2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

If Tony Watt could contribute to improving the team (which he did before) I'd have him back. If Tony fuckin'' Straker could help keep us up i'd have him back an' aw'.

OK, I maybe went a bit far, but the question is, is Tony Watt a better footballer than those we have playing up front just now ?

29 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Rumour mill suggesting we have offered £100k for Gerard garner of fleetwood. Highly doubt that given we are having to move players on to get players in

Can’t say I’m inspired by that. It makes sense in that Fleetwood are looking to clear out having made 2 big signings today.

I don’t think he’ll be here we’ve moved onto another target. I loved him when he was here and was brilliant we all know that. However he’s moved on to a team in the same league and hasn’t recreated that form he had with us. Risky signing but if a massive twist happened as much as I dislike him for how he left I’d back him if he proves me wrong, he’ll have to win over a majority of the fan base and wouldn’t go down to well with most imo. Be a bad mistake from the club at first definitely but it could work but it won’t happen I don’t think.

9 hours ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

its a non starter. Typical agent play trying to stoke the fire at st Johnstone and st mirren to make a move

i actually think he would jump at coming back but don’t see him being a hammell signing 

You're probably right. St Johnstone will try to bolster their already huge squad by bringing in someone like Zak Rudden. The clock is ticking and we really really need to do business. I'll reserve judgement until midnight. 

Hammy said:
We spoke with the media team this morning and they ran a few names past me that were getting linked with us. Some of the players we hadn't even heard of before.

There you have it folks, not even our Head of Recruitment (Nick Daws) is dealing in transfer business for us these days. Why isn't Daws dealing with this via the media team? We truly are an amateur outfit at best.

We're also trying to sign Garner for a five figure fee, which means Mandron is broken already. 'Great' scouting or bad luck?

Some transfer info here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-deadline-live-rangers-celtic-29090531

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Hammy said:
We spoke with the media team this morning and they ran a few names past me that were getting linked with us. Some of the players we hadn't even heard of before.

There you have it folks, not even our Head of Recruitment (Nick Daws) is dealing in transfer business for us these days. Why isn't Daws dealing with this via the media team? We truly are an amateur outfit at best.

We're also trying to sign Garner for a five figure fee, which means Mandron is broken already. 'Great' scouting or bad luck?

Some transfer info here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-deadline-live-rangers-celtic-29090531

Im not sure I follow?

My reading of Hammys comments are that we would appear to be getting linked with players he hasnt heard of, so its all rumour and speculation.

Hammell and presumably Dawes will still be dealing with the recruitment side of things. 

He just isnt going to comment until there is something to tell.

Re Mandron, Im not sure how anyone at the club could foresee a new signing getting injured in training?

Thats just bad luck and typifies the way things have been going for us this season.

Unless of course you are suggesting he already had the injury and it wasnt picked up in the medical?

If that had been the case, I wouldnt have expected him to last 90 mins at Arbroath.

12 hours ago, wellfan said:

Because Alexander lived in a fantasy land of his own stubborn hubris, which ultimately cost him his job. 

You realise that your whole "Alexander living out his fantasy" stuff is really weird, right? 

You initially said that "the club is now financially crippled because they let Alexander live his arrogant fantasy"  when someone mentioned some of our players being signed on long-term contracts. Do you honestly believe that it was Alexander who dictated that we start offering longer term deals to players who the club believed may have some sell-on value? That was clearly a direction that the board wanted to move in to try and put an end to the constant rebuilding of the team every summer. A decision that was widely applauded by the fans who were getting fed up seeing us sign someone on a one year deal only for them to do well then piss off sharpish for nothing.

Sure, Alexander was given a contract extension at the wrong time, but he'd have been a total fool not to accept it. As for what cost him his job, it wasn't anything to do with "stubborn hubris." I understand that his self-confidence seems to rub you the wrong way for some bizarre reason, but guess what? You need to have a level of self confidence, or dare I say arrogance to be a football manager at this level. 

He lost his job because the club panicked after we lost in Europe and the fans went mental. Absolutely a mistake, considering we were days away from the league season starting. And we're paying the price for that now.

12 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Don't think we got him for nothing, would have got a good signing on fee and good wages. Don't believe this guff that Alexander didn't want him, how many clubs has Watt engineered a move from. Anyway he's not coming thank god  so let's get behind the team and any new signings on Wednesday. 

Yeah, but we didn't pay a transfer fee, which is something we got when he left for United eventually. Bottom line is, we got a player who most had low expectations of and managed to get a decent run out of them. It was a deal that certainly paid off for the club, and for the player financially.

10 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Hammy said:

Wait, what?

You read Hammell saying that he had a conversation with the media team who mentioned some names we're being linked with in the press, and that some of the players mentioned were not on our radar as somehow meaning our Head of Recruitment isn't dealing in transfer business? 

I'm interested to hear you break down the thought process behind that one!

32 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Hammy said:

Strange take on this ..

Scott Burns said last night it was likely we weren't interested. However with the teams listed it would be madness to loan to a relegation rival, while St Mirren would probably be the likely destination should he stay in Scotland and it would allow him to add to his shirt collection and help him on his way of reaching his goal of playing for every Scottish Premiership side. A Belgian top flight team has made an official approach so I wouldn't be surprised if he heads there.

1 hour ago, David said:

You realise that your whole "Alexander living out his fantasy" stuff is really weird, right? 

You initially said that "the club is now financially crippled because they let Alexander live his arrogant fantasy"  when someone mentioned some of our players being signed on long-term contracts. Do you honestly believe that it was Alexander who dictated that we start offering longer term deals to players who the club believed may have some sell-on value? That was clearly a direction that the board wanted to move in to try and put an end to the constant rebuilding of the team every summer. A decision that was widely applauded by the fans who were getting fed up seeing us sign someone on a one year deal only for them to do well then piss off sharpish for nothing.

Sure, Alexander was given a contract extension at the wrong time, but he'd have been a total fool not to accept it. As for what cost him his job, it wasn't anything to do with "stubborn hubris." I understand that his self-confidence seems to rub you the wrong way for some bizarre reason, but guess what? You need to have a level of self confidence, or dare I say arrogance to be a football manager at this level. 

He lost his job because the club panicked after we lost in Europe and the fans went mental. Absolutely a mistake, considering we were days away from the league season starting. And we're paying the price for that now.

I wrote elsewhere over a year ago that Alexander would go down as one of the worst managers we’ve had over the past 15 years or so, and I stand by that. Because of him, and I recognise he was enabled by the Board in some of his decisions, we’re pretty rubbish and have been for sometime. That’s a fact. Look at the stats since the start of 2022. At the same time, we can also differ on opinion regarding our takes on his personality and fantasies. What’s important is that it wasn’t a mistake to sack/mutually consent him; it was a mistake to not sack him sooner. 

1 hour ago, David said:

You read Hammell saying that he had a conversation with the media team who mentioned some names we're being linked with in the press, and that some of the players mentioned were not on our radar as somehow meaning our Head of Recruitment isn't dealing in transfer business? 

I'm interested to hear you break down the thought process behind that one!

My thought process on that post was the desire to bait a lot of people who think our club is a Mickey Mouse club, which worked. Makes for a more exciting transfer deadline day. 

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Shields away I wish him well. I don't rate him but some of the abuse the lad took was ridiculous. 

Especially when those same people giving him abuse are usually the ones who bang on about "all I want is a player who gives 100% for the shirt" which is exactly what Shields did. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic