Motherwell v Dundee United 03/09/22

SteelmaninOZ

Before United dumped their manager I would have said a definite home win. Teams usually react to losing a manager. Let's hope that the reaction was their win at Livi tonight. It'll be tight, but home advantage may give us the 3 points.

1 hour ago, MFCL84 said:

Before United dumped their manager I would have said a definite home win. Teams usually react to losing a manager. Let's hope that the reaction was their win at Livi tonight. It'll be tight, but home advantage may give us the 3 points.

I think United's result at Livingston tonight tells you a lot about their players.

Our record against United at home is pretty decent. Certainly better than our record up there. Getting rid of Ross will certainly improve their chances, if indeed he was the problem, but there has to be still huge question marks iver the mentality of their squad. I expect another tough and tight game, as they all are in this league outwith the big 2, however, it is a game we should be targetting 3 points from with some big challenges coming our way very soon.

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think United's result at Livingston tonight tells you a lot about their players.

Certainly about their feelings towards Jack Ross. Wonder if something happened between the home and way legs to AZ Alkmaar. Their performances since suggest the old cliche of losing the dressing room might be apt for what happened.

I'd go same team as last night apart from Cornelius back in for Tierney. 

They are obviously conceding a lot of goals so hopefully big Kev can stick one away early. If we can get wins here and against Ross County then the first cycle of fixtures will already be a success and we will have zero pressure versus the Edinburgh and Glasgow mobs. 

If Aarons comes on he needs to be under a fatwa to stay away from set pieces. 

Our league record against Dundee Utd at FP:

P91  W38  D17  L36  GF146 GA125

Purely on stats it’s 60% chance a home win or draw and 58% chance an away win or draw.

In recent seasons it’s generally been the home team that has prevailed so  hoping for a good performance and a home win.  COYW!

10 hours ago, steelboy said:

I'd go same team as last night apart from Cornelius back in for Tierney. 

They are obviously conceding a lot of goals so hopefully big Kev can stick one away early. If we can get wins here and against Ross County then the first cycle of fixtures will already be a success and we will have zero pressure versus the Edinburgh and Glasgow mobs. 

If Aarons comes on he needs to be under a fatwa to stay away from set pieces. 

For me teirney motm against Inverness, doesn't deserve to be dropped 

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I expect to get Watt to get loads of pelters but hope nothing OTT.  Would rather focus on our own players 

I would rather someone launch him into row Z in the first few minutes. By all accounts from United fans feedback his best game for them was against us last season and of course his only goal for them came in that match. While I don't think they'll be as easy to beat as the like of AZ, St Mirren and Celtic found I'm confident we can take home the three points. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why, Tierney was excellent on Wednesday looked dangerous everytime he went forward he deserves to keep his place in the team.

We would get over ran in midfield with just Slattery and Goss in there. 

Tierney was wasteful in the box again as well, I wasn't as impressed as others seem to be. 

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

We would get over ran in midfield with just Slattery and Goss in there. 

Tierney was wasteful in the box again as well, I wasn't as impressed as others seem to be. 

So we're playing a 4 2 4..thats a new one...teirney in the hole cuts off the easy ball into midfield efford and spittal can tuck in and the full backs can push up 10 yards,that tightens everything up and we have a match up of numbers in the middle,...ross tierney wasteful? You on about the header the keeper saved or the 40 yard run at the end after he'd been running about the park getting kicked at every opportunity for 85 mins and he just ran out of legs,i call those chances unlucky not wasteful,most on here have been shouting out for someone to link midfield and attack,ross done that very well on Wednesday and all of a sudden you dont want it..some folk are just never going to be happy whatever we do

Without really paying any attention to how United set up, Id be tempted to go same again with the players that started v ICT.

It wasnt the hardest of nights running wise and we were able to rotate a lot of our players out reasonably early so I dont think legs will be an issue.

I also think we need to get some continuity of selection to continue to build confidence in what we are doing. 

Everyone who started played well and deserve to be rewarded for that. Also everyone that came on showed they can make an impact from the bench which is what we need.

Kelly

McGinn      Sol        Lamie       Penney

Slattery    Goss

Efford               Tierney          Spittal

KvV

19 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Without really paying any attention to how United set up, Id be tempted to go same again with the players that started v ICT.

It wasnt the hardest of nights running wise and we were able to rotate a lot of our players out reasonably early so I dont think legs will be an issue.

I also think we need to get some continuity of selection to continue to build confidence in what we are doing. 

Everyone who started played well and deserve to be rewarded for that. Also everyone that came on showed they can make an impact from the bench which is what we need.

Kelly

McGinn      Sol        Lamie       Penney

Slattery    Goss

Efford               Tierney          Spittal

KvV

So whose the midfield ball winner then? It certainly isn’t Goss or Slattery!

41 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

To set up similarly and expect same shows the naivety that saw us drop 3 points last week.

Professional performance against a poor Inverness Caley team will have little bearing on Saturday’s match.

Feel free to enlighten me. Again........

Edit.

I know you dont go in for naming teams. But some context around your point might be helpful.

I was quite careful to point out that I wasnt taking into account how United would play, as I dont really have any idea. I dont see enough of them.

My point was more abount continuity of team selection and man management of the squad.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Feel free to enlighten me. Again........

Edit.

I know you dont go in for naming teams. But some context around your point might be helpful.

I was quite careful to point out that I wasnt taking into account how United would play, as I dont really have any idea. I dont see enough of them.

My point was more abount continuity of team selection and man management of the squad.

The context was there’s a gulf and it’s massive wether they like it or not between top flight & first division - I’ll be surprised the same players were given the freedom of Fir Park afforded the other evening.

By your own admission, this continuity of team selection went out the window after the Aberdeen performance. Whilst not his biggest fan, Mugabi can feel hard done by being dropped? Can also be argued continuity is the polar opposite of man management of the squad.

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

The context was there’s a gulf and it’s massive wether they like it or not between top flight & first division - I’ll be surprised the same players were given the freedom of Fir Park afforded the other evening.

By your own admission, this continuity of team selection went out the window after the Aberdeen performance. Whilst not his biggest fan, Mugabi can feel hard done by being dropped? Can also be argued continuity is the polar opposite of man management of the squad.

Firstly, thanks for the clarification. In respect of the points made........

I accept there is a gap in quality between championship and premiership. Others on here would contest that it is far from a gulf. Regardless, my challenge to the players would be to go and prove it wasnt a flash in the pan and they can produce a consistency of performance against a better opponent.

If I recall, Mugabi had to play against Aberdeen as Lamie was suspended and despite winning we did concede 2 goals. I think there is still an argument to be had as to who our best 2 centre halves are, but it looks like Stevie Hammell has decided its Sol and Lamie.

Not sure I understand your thinking re the last point.  Continuity as a reward for a good performance would appear good man management to me. The challenge is to maintain those levels if there are others waiting to take your place.

Obviously, continuity, for continuity sake wouldnt be, we saw how that turned out in the past when some players knew they wouldnt be dropped regardless of how bad they played as the alternatives were no better.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure I understand your thinking re the last point.  Continuity as a reward for a good performance would appear good man management to me. The challenge is to maintain those levels if there are others waiting to take your place

Always an advocate of ‘you shouldn’t change a winning team’ but, football has evolved in most parts.