Motherwell v Dundee United 03/09/22

SteelmaninOZ

5th , 3 points behind Rangers in 2nd after 6 games.  If you had offered that and the fact we are actually playing football at the start of the season most would have asked what you were smoking.  

I have a feeling KVV and Moult are going to be a really good pairing.  You could see KVV getting frustrated when trying to play through balls and players just not on the same wavelength

Sadly that was one of they games that come around every so often,where you completely dominate and don't pick up the win.first have we played really well and should have had the game won,second half not so much but we still did enough to win the game,we forced the ball to much in the second half.all in all that was an encouraging performance and if we can play like that most weeks at home we will win more than we lose,on another day we would have dished out a hiding.the only real concern for me was that we got very little from our wide players again.

In terms of tempo, passing, chance creation etc, etc, best performance of the season.

At the end of the day though Dundee Utd, who were shocking and there for the taking, record their first league clean sheet of the season.

The build up play was a lot better today but you've got to take your chances or you won't go very far.

It'll be interesting to see if we can repeat that level of performance against other teams cos I thought Dundee Utd were dire.

Obviously very frustrating not to have won that game given our overall dominance and the chances we created but there are lots of positives to take from that.

Firstly, we didn’t get beat which you felt was a possibility having seen that ‘movie’ many times before. And our forward line apart we played really well today, indeed a lot better than we did a fortnight ago against Livingston or last week at Rugby Park. Young Tierney put in an excellent shift though you can see he has still got a bit to go in terms of his physicality at this level, but that will come. Spittal and Goss put in good performances as well and our backline were comfortable throughout, something we haven’t been able to say in a long while.

Up front van Veen just had a bad day, it happens. He is still our main goal threat and on another day he takes at least one of his chances today. The penalty was poor, a good height for the keeper and he looked as though he tried too hard to burst the net with his effort that hit the bar.

As for Efford, he just won’t do I’m afraid.

All in all a good performance but hugely annoying not have won especially with a tough run of fixtures coming up.

Efford sadly to say is not good enough properly poor.

Can't really fault KVV when you are the only real goal threat from the forward line it's tough shift doesn't take a team long to work that one out.Hope we go 4 4 2  KVV and Moult,Aaron's and McKinstry on the wings. 

Slattery needs behave himself 3 yellow cards already this season two back to back now.

We are progressing onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

We are yes, slowly but surely. At least you can see that the manager has some kind of plan as opposed to Graham Alexander being happy to basically shitfest through games and hope we scrape points together.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Van Veen's bottle crashed just seeing Moult on Twitter. What he's going to be like when he sees him on the bench with the fans singing for him?

The front four owe the back 6 an apology. 

I don’t think his bottle crashed today, it just didn’t happen for him. Unfortunately he’s not a 20+ goal a season striker and he often needs at least three scoring chances before he takes one.

As someone further up the thread said, if he was more clinical then chances are he would be playing at a higher level than us.

Guess I'm in the minority probably shouldn't have watched the old firm before our match, I thought we were good for the majority of the first half ran out of ideas. The second half got worst the longer it went on. Still looking on the positives were trying to play passing football but the penetration still is non existent. 

Someone tell Lambie not to try long crossfield balls unless we have a player there

1 minute ago, Coatsy said:

Guess I'm in the minority probably shouldn't have watched the old firm before our match, I thought we were good for the majority of the first half ran out of ideas. The second half got worst the longer it went on. Still looking on the positives were trying to play passing football but the penetration still is non existent. 

Someone tell Lambie not to try long crossfield balls unless we have a player there

I though the penetration was there today we just didn’t convert the chances into goals 

28 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Efford sadly to say is not good enough properly poor.

Can't really fault KVV when you are the only real goal threat from the forward line it's tough shift doesn't take a team long to work that one out.Hope we go 4 4 2  KVV and Moult,Aaron's and McKinstry on the wings. 

Slattery needs behave himself 3 yellow cards already this season two back to back now.

Disagree with that now. Efford is looking dangerous and flashed a few ball across box and on another day one would have resulted in goal.

Today we were well on top and efford contributed to that. The team selection was good and carried on from Thursday. 

Let's enjoy the fact we were clearly well on top for the 1st time in I don't know how long.

Also serious question where does your confidence in aarons and mckinstry come from? They do not look any better than efford for me although had less time obviously. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

The gaffer said 

Listening to Hammell talk gives me a lot of confidence. None of the usual tropes and generalisations. Open and honest assessment of what worked, what didnt and where we need to improve, mixed with a clear desire to play entertaining football and give the players freedom within the set up to go and express themselves. Its no surprise both the players and the fans feel happier.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I don’t think his bottle crashed today, it just didn’t happen for him. Unfortunately he’s not a 20+ goal a season striker and he often needs at least three scoring chances before he takes one.

As someone further up the thread said, if he was more clinical then chances are he would be playing at a higher level than us.

He's spoke about his mental issues before and Moult coming in puts pressure on him and knocked him off being the social media darling right after his hat trick. 

He didn't have just have a bad today he missed 4 stick on chances and 3 good chances. I've never seen a striker miss so many in 30 years of going to Fir Park. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He's spoke about his mental issues before and Moult coming in puts pressure on him and knocked him off being the social media darling right after his hat trick. 

He didn't have just have a bad today he missed 4 stick on chances and 3 good chances. I've never seen a striker miss so many in 30 years of going to Fir Park. 

KVVs issues were with gambling.  I think you are trying to find a problem that doesnt exist. He has missed plenty of chances prior to Moults arrival and will no doubt continue to do so. The only one I would criticise him today for is the penalty miss.

• Like 3