Ross County v Motherwell now Tuesday 04/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

17 days of mourning announced. Irrespective of your views, everyone surely expected this weekend would be cancelled. As long as that's it.

I thought so. I’m personally not big on the monarchy but I don’t have a problem with what’s happening. We now live in the world of social media where keyboard Warriors rule, Where there is often seen as being more value in insulting others than showing a little kindness. We will see much of what’s best in people over the next few days, hopefully we don’t see too much of the worst. 

I find it really frustrating tbh esph having forked out a small fortune for a nice weekend away that I'll not be able to get back, Scottish football clearly waiting to see what the English leagues were doing before we committed to a decision. A minutes silence and black arms would more than sufficed. We are denied going to the football but we can nip along to the Hydro to see the likes of Kevin Bridges in front of 10,000+ for a chuckle or head to the theatre, cinema and so forth.

• Like 1

I fully expected the games to be cancelled this weekend, but I still strongly disagree with it. We shouldn’t be forced to join in with mourning the death of someone we never knew if we don’t want to.

As for the next level anger of “no politics discussed on a football forum!!!”, football and politics should mainly be separate but sometimes they become entwined, and it’s completely okay to discuss it then. A thread about starting games earlier to evade the astronomical electricity bills coming our way, believe it or not, has political undertones to it.

32 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I thought so. I’m personally not big on the monarchy but I don’t have a problem with what’s happening. We now live in the world of social media where keyboard Warriors rule, Where there is often seen as being more value in insulting others than showing a little kindness. We will see much of what’s best in people over the next few days, hopefully we don’t see too much of the worst. 

I thought the Queen did a good job.

I don't think the job (or the institution in its current form) has any place in a 21st century democracy.

I have no problem with people personally handling it however they choose, but a "period of national mourning" is something from the Victorian age that makes me cringe.

And being annoyed the football is cancelled while discussing the reasons behind it sounds to me like it belongs in a football forum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I fully expected the games to be cancelled this weekend, but I still strongly disagree with it. We shouldn’t be forced to join in with mourning the death of someone we never knew if we don’t want to.

As for the next level anger of “no politics discussed on a football forum!!!”, football and politics should mainly be separate but sometimes they become entwined, and it’s completely okay to discuss it then. A thread about starting games earlier to evade the astronomical electricity bills coming our way, believe it or not, has political undertones to it.

Interesting point. However in the last two home games at Fir Park we have had 3x minutes applause for 3 people who had passed away including a very young girl. I never knew any of them but I was happy enough to show my respect and not just because they were Motherwell fans. Just the decent thing to do. 

I have no issues with people not liking the monarchy or the Queen.  I have issues with them outwardly insulting and showing utter contempt and disrespect. Just not needed and not on a football forum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Interesting point. However in the last two home games at Fir Park we have had 3x minutes applause for 3 people who had passed away including a very young girl. I never knew any of them but I was happy enough to show my respect and not just because they were Motherwell fans. Just the decent thing to do.

But would have wanted a game cancelled for each of them? Or were you happier to see them receive applause during a match from fellow fans?

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

But would have wanted a game cancelled for each of them? Or were you happier to see them receive applause during a match from fellow fans?

I already said I wanted the games to go ahead. Pay our respects etc.

Problem is judging by responses on P&B and MFC Twitter there would be many fans who would likely embarrass themselves, their clubs and the Nation. This will happen anyway no doubt sadly when we get the games back on. 

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I already said I wanted the games to go ahead. Pay our respects etc.

Problem is judging by responses on P&B and MFC Twitter there would be many fans who would likely embarrass themselves, their clubs and the Nation. This will happen anyway no doubt sadly when we get the games back on. 

I agree  - both sides of the debate (or at least the more extreme ones) will make their thoughts known vocally and publicly regardless of the football. Both during the off-time and when it resumes.

I'll post one more thing on this topic and then I'll stop. I read this online this morning, from The Metro.

In an official memo this morning, the Government said: ‘A period of National Mourning for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has now started.

‘The period of National Mourning will continue until the end of the day of the State Funeral.’

The date of that event is yet to be confirmed.

The BBC had been expected to suspend all comedy programming during the period.

That's the kind of thing that I find objectionable. Whether it's the BBC deciding or the Palace (or Government) dictating, an institution mandating that you can't laugh during the period of mourning is, at best, draconian.

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Sadly, some cannot help themselves from making political point scoring. The death of the Queen was always going to result in extreme views either way.  But not on football forums is my take. 

I would like for the football to go ahead with a minute's silence.  But I suspect the authorities will worry that certain elements / supports will let Scottish Football down and that will be one of their key concerns. 

When fixtures start up again there may be a minute's silence anyway. So those elements you highlight could still express their views. I suppose some Clubs could opt out if they felt it wise to do so.

24 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

It's the fact that rugby and cricket are going ahead this weekend and horse racing is resuming on Sunday that galls a bit. I think the football authorities have misjudged the mood more than the other sports...

Also, those in Westminster are much more likely to be Racing or Cricket fans than football fans. Can't miss out on a chance for Champers at The Oval.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I have no issues with people not liking the monarchy or the Queen.  I have issues with them outwardly insulting and showing utter contempt and disrespect. Just not needed and not on a football forum. 

As long as the Royals are taking a slice of all our wages and getting a final say on what legislation the politicians voters elect can pass then we all have the right to criticise them whenever, wherever we want. 

The Windsor's have done well to rebrand themselves as an upmarket reality show in the 21st century but that just obscures how much wealth and power they have accumulated at everyone else's expense.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Talk is that the Queen’s funeral will be held on Monday 19th Sept. So therefore it’s almost a certainty that next week v Hearts will be off too.

Not so sure. If the funeral isn't the day of the match, I reckon it might be on. Given the Royal Family have given the "do as you please except the day of the funeral" instructions and the general reaction that football maybe overreacted, I wouldn't be stunned to see games on next weekend. Given the rugby, cricket and horse racing are continuing. football then looks out of step. Champions League games going ahead in the UK (which they will) will make it look even stranger. . 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Aye because the Scottish Government subsidise it. 

Do you really think a Royal somebody contacted the SFA and instructed them to cancel all football because it would keep the peasants in their place? If so then you are either deluded or obsessed. Given you now want to use the situation to have a go at the Scottish Government suggests it is the latter. I'm just surprised it is not all Burrow's fault. Or is that your next rant?

Each sporting/entertainment organisation was left to make up their own mind regarding whether to cancel or not. Some chose to restart on Saturday/Sunday and some did not. I suspect football authorities up here were concerned that some fans (particularly of a certain Glasgow team) would shame the sport and Scotland by disrupting any planned minute's show of respect. So if you want to blame anyone for games being cancelled, blame the SFA  and the cretins attached to every Club, including ours, who force them to be ultra cautious.

For the record, I am far from a Royalist and am disappointed I will not be heading up to Dingwall tomorrow. But I can understand why that is the case.

Just read the Proms have been cancelled completely for this year. How does that fit in with your opinion that postponements are a class thing?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not so sure. If the funeral isn't the day of the match, I reckon it might be on. Given the Royal Family have given the "do as you please except the day of the funeral" instructions and the general reaction that football maybe overreacted, I wouldn't be stunned to see games on next weekend. Given the rugby, cricket and horse racing are continuing. football then looks out of step. Champions League games going ahead in the UK (which they will) will make it look even stranger. . 

Possibly, but I’ll be surprised if next Sunday v. Hearts goes ahead.