Hibernian v Motherwell 08/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Have still to watch any replays of sending off. My first reaction was that Kelly would have got to ball well before Porteous. So it wasn’t a goal scoring opportunity. But no excuse for Shields committing foul since Porteous still had to score past Kelly- no stick on there - and there was still 40 minutes to play.

A tight game in which we (Shields) shot ourselves in the foot, but the result wasn't unexpected.  The goal was abit of a fluke coming off the back of a wicked deflection, but maybe it was coming anyway.  Midfield didn't show up particularly well and our strikers were powder puff.  Whilst I don't want to see a return to Alexander's tombola approach we probably needed to change things a little, especially in midfield, after 2 games in the past week.  Substitutions too could have come earlier. Stevie Hammell is a young inexperienced manager and will make mistakes. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Watched highlights this morning, definite penalty we should have had and now many attempts did Shields make a mess off before finally hauling down Porteous!!

Yip stonewaller. Won’t be long now til VAR is introduced and decisions like that are what you hope will be picked up on.

Tight game yesterday and it felt like the big moments all went Hibs way.

Didnt think we played particularly well first half but even so we were far from outplayed. A mixture of poor decision making from Hibs and very good defending from us kept us in it to half time.

I thought the takle on Spittal which caused his injury was a shocker and certainly felt it merited a yellow at the time. Having seen it back on the highlights there is a case for a red card.

Second half I felt we started brighter and with more purpose but the red card scuppered any chance we had of gaining any superiority.

Re Sheilds red. Porteous goes down like a bag of spuds, but he would have been clean through on goal so no complaints there. Personally, I would have let him go and trusted Kelly 1 v 1. 

Felt we defended really well with 10 men and were always in the game. The goal is unfortunate with the deflection, but you cant argue with the finish from Porteous. Its a great header.

Thought we looked better after the substitutions and continued to cause problems right up until the end.

Frustrated to leave with nothing, but pleased that despite a poor first half and playing for so long with 10 men, we remained competitive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Yip stonewaller. Won’t be long now til VAR is introduced and decisions like that are what you hope will be picked up on.

That’s exactly why we need var. The ref would have been asked to take a look at it.

Watching the highlights the ref was worse than he seemed at the game.

The penalty was right in front of him. No foul for Newell doing Spittal. At the red card Shields is clipped by Boyle before Porteous gets involved and the ball is running through to Kelly anyway. At the previous corner Lamie is fouled. And at their goal it looks like Porteous elbows Sol and then feigns a head clash, listening to the Sportsound bangers mention Porteous's head knock at least a dozen times while not mentioning Sol who was off the park getting treatment for longer was unsurprising but still infuriating. Craigan right in amongst it as well.

It was also never a foul by Van Veen prior to their goal. Porteous dives in every single game yet the referees don't bother about it. There has to be a way for clubs to point out blatant cheating and get feedback and for the SFA to analyse cheating and give clubs warnings and analysis for referees. Every major decision is subject to video review from December so there is no reason not to, the argument about undermining refs is over. VAR will be a disaster but if it can cut out a lot of the cynical stuff which is clearly coached like Hibs doing wee pushes as every set play is taken at least it will have some sort of positive impact.

25 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The penalty was right in front of him. No foul for Newell doing Spittal. At the red card Shields is clipped by Boyle before Porteous gets involved and the ball is running through to Kelly anyway. At the previous corner Lamie is fouled. And at their goal it looks like Porteous elbows Sol and then feigns a head clash, listening to the Sportsound bangers mention Porteous's head knock at least a dozen times while not mentioning Sol who was off the park getting treatment for longer was unsurprising but still infuriating. Craigan right in amongst it as well.

It was also never a foul by Van Veen prior to their goal. Porteous dives in every single game yet the referees don't bother about it. There has to be a way for clubs to point out blatant cheating and get feedback and for the SFA to analyse cheating and give clubs warnings and analysis for referees. Every major decision is subject to video review from December so there is no reason not to, the argument about undermining refs is over. VAR will be a disaster but if it can cut out a lot of the cynical stuff which is clearly coached like Hibs doing wee pushes as every set play is taken at least it will have some sort of positive impact.

I think you CAN point these things out. You just cant call him a cheat.  I back Goodwin 100% for doing so ( although given his playing career he has a bit of a cheek) but he should have been smarter with the language he used. If he had said that Porteous "influenced the referees decision using the dark arts of the game" he would probably have got away with it. But everyone would have known exactly what he meant.......

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I agree with a lot of your post and instructed/managed cheating really really gets to me.  My main concern with VAR, and I'm in favour it, is what constitutes a "major decision"? Take Shields' red card for example.  Would VAR simply focus on Shields' foul or examine what happened in the run up to it? The proof of the pudding and all that......

On 10/8/2022 at 8:19 PM, stv said:

Hibs away traditionally a hard one , so nothing unexpected there today really. On to the next game.

My gripe is its never a easy place to go but why make it easier for Hibs, our distribution was utterly woeful. Too many hoofs long from Kelly which just added to the continual surrender of possession. When you give any team , even as piss poor as Hibs were yesterday, as much free possession  they will always likely get a goal. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think you CAN point these things out. You just cant call him a cheat.  I back Goodwin 100% for doing so ( although given his playing career he has a bit of a cheek) but he should have been smarter with the language he used. If he had said that Porteous "influenced the referees decision using the dark arts of the game" he would probably have got away with it. But everyone would have known exactly what he meant.......

Don't call him a cheat. Just say something like "Hibs number 5 dived in XX mins and XX mins and I don't understand why the referee ignored it". 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Shirt pulls are cheating as well. Every game has cheating in it, we need to work on putting pressure on the SFA and referees to officiate our games fairly.

Football is a physical game but yes, fouls like shirt pulling and diving should be called out for what they are. In the recent Hearts game, we saw Robbie Neilson instructing an injured player, who was very near to the touchline, to lie down, when it was quite clear he didn't have to do so.   

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Football is a physical game but yes, fouls like shirt pulling and diving should be called out for what they are. In the recent Hearts game, we saw Robbie Neilson instructing an injured player, who was very near to the touchline, to lie down, when it was quite clear he did have to do so.   

"Gamesmanship" like this is even evident in kids' matches, too. Influence of things kids see in televised matches, perhaps? I hate this stuff but as it's unlikely to disappear, I think we need to be smart in our approach. Take Martin Boyle and Porteous as examples on Saturday: the former always leant forward to an almost horizontal position when moving forward with the ball, so he went down as soon as he was tackled and got free kicks and the latter ensured he fouled his opponent almost every time as he fell down and got free kicks. Newel gets away with fly fouls in every Hibs game. As for Hearts antics at Fir Park, Nelison was instructing his team in the "dark arts" throughout, and never away from the fourth official. I hate suggesting it, but maybe our players need to start adopting similar tactics against these two teams and the Glasgow uglies.