Motherwell v Rangers 16/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

I am loathe to say that this fixture represents an opportunity with nothing to lose, as this has been the situation for a number of years and we rarely, if ever, strike a blow against the Old Firm. Having said that, a professional attitude and performance and there is no reason we cannot achieve a result. What I really cannot stomach is the thought of another “beaten before a ball is kicked” performance where we just accept a hammering on their terms. I am not suggesting a gung-ho cavalry charge approach, though goodness knows, it would at least have offered some entertainment in previous fixtures of this type, but a visible plan to take them on and get something from the game would be nice.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

If we have any ambition in this game Moult & KVV should be starting in a 3-5-2 formation and can’t play Goss and Slattery so one starting and other to replace him as game goes on . 

Why wouldnt we play the 2 guys in our team most likely to retain possession of the football?

The longer we have it, the less damage they can do with it.

Formation wise, Im up for whatever works and with Shields out it makes sense to find a way of getting KVV and Moult into the same starting 11. They are both big game players with lots of experience. I also think they would compliment one another as KVV likes to come short, hold the ball up and play knock ons, and Moult likes to play on the shoulder and run in behind.

For me its 4-2-3-1

Kelly

McGinn Sol Lamie Penney

Goss Slattery

Efford KVV Spittal

Moult

There is always room in behind their fullbacks which we should be looking to exploit.

3 hours ago, Benson said:

Rangers fans going on about the financial gulf between them and clubs like Liverpool and then calling teams like us Diddy teams and mocking us,tells u everything about them,no class

No class whatsoever from a lot of them

Slag off the wee diddy clubs all the time, and always someone else’s fault

One comment i read today suggested they won’t compete in the champions league as all the other clubs in Scotland are holding them back , would love to know why. 

Massive gulf of course between Rangers and Celtic and the English premier league clubs , but no different to those two clubs and the rest of Scottish football, we just get on with it and make the best of it

3 hours ago, Benson said:

Rangers fans going on about the financial gulf between them and clubs like Liverpool and then calling teams like us Diddy teams and mocking us,tells u everything about them,no class

Much as I loathe them for many other reasons, "having a good laugh at other teams despite all the obvious failings of your own" pretty much describes any team's fans, not just the OF.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Why wouldnt we play the 2 guys in our team most likely to retain possession of the football?

The longer we have it, the less damage they can do with it.

Formation wise, Im up for whatever works and with Shields out it makes sense to find a way of getting KVV and Moult into the same starting 11. They are both big game players with lots of experience. I also think they would compliment one another as KVV likes to come short, hold the ball up and play knock ons, and Moult likes to play on the shoulder and run in behind.

For me its 4-2-3-1

Kelly

McGinn Sol Lamie Penney

Goss Slattery

Efford KVV Spittal

Moult

There is always room in behind their fullbacks which we should be looking to exploit.

I like the look of that,with only one slight change,switch effort and spittal..has anyone else noticed tavernier against pace he's either nursing an injury or he's done,get joe up against him

34 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

I like the look of that,with only one slight change,switch effort and spittal..has anyone else noticed tavernier against pace he's either nursing an injury or he's done,get joe up against him

Good shout.

Barisic also isnt great at tracking clever movement as he switches off all the time so hopefully we have a plan for that as well.....

Doesn't matter if you are Brora Rangers or Real Madrid if you get pumped 7-1 at home your confidence takes a big knock.

I think we have a real opportunity here to get the result we've been waiting a long time for.

However we can't allow Rangers to play themselves back into confidence.

When Dundee Utd lost 7 to AZ they played Hearts next and Hearts scored in the 1st minute.  We don't need to score in the first minute but we have to prevent Rangers from playing their way out of the low place they will inevitable be in.  

If we can do that I think we can do something.  

• Like 1

I'd go 352 tomorrow with Efford and Van Veen up front but both playing wide looking for space behind the full backs. Give their centre halfs the choice of whether to come out wide leaving gaps for a midfielder to break through or expect their full backs to deal with it. I'd have Goss and Slattery trying to put the ball in behind their full backs all day. Both of them certainly have the passing range to do it...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

From what I’ve seen of Rangers they really struggle with crosses into their box and on top of their goalkeeper. So we need to get balls into that box and get our big men like KvV, Moult or even our CBs up there when we get a set piece opportunity. 

My worry is that we lose an early goal and we do our usual and let our heads go down. If that happens then we will get nothing and it’ll be another three goal defeat at least. 

However I genuinely think that is our best chance of getting that all elusive win in this fixture tomorrow if we approach it the right way and don’t bend over the minute anything goes against us.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:58 AM, twistandshout1983 said:

No class whatsoever from a lot of them

Slag off the wee diddy clubs all the time, and always someone else’s fault

One comment i read today suggested they won’t compete in the champions league as all the other clubs in Scotland are holding them back , would love to know why. 

Massive gulf of course between Rangers and Celtic and the English premier league clubs , but no different to those two clubs and the rest of Scottish football, we just get on with it and make the best of it

The rest of the clubs are holding them back because they hoover up most of the local support in towns up and down the country leaving everyone else unable to compete financially. I would be very happy if the pair of them buggered off and played elsewhere. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The rest of the clubs are holding them back because they hoover up most of the local support in towns up and down the country leaving everyone else unable to compete financially. I would be very happy if the pair of them buggered off and played elsewhere. 

I agree wholeheartedly, I don't see it ever happening unfortunately. 

If it did though, the one proviso I would have is that they go completely, they would probably want their B-teams to play in Scotland as a safety net and our organising authorities (and probably the club boards) would bend over to accommodate them.

if the OF left it would make the league more competitive but I don't really believe we'd have bigger crowds, possibly lower given how much the OF bump up the stats. 

Something much bigger than the OF leaving would need to happen to get back to the crowds of yesteryear.  As an entertainment, thing to do on a Saturday it's been slowly dying for decades. Probably as far back as the 60s.    

Just watched the highlights of the Livingston game. A plastic pictch with 75% of stands with no one in them.  A Diddy league we've become. 

11 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

if the OF left it would make the league more competitive but I don't really believe we'd have bigger crowds, possibly lower given how much the OF bump up the stats. 

Something much bigger than the OF leaving would need to happen to get back to the crowds of yesteryear.  As an entertainment, thing to do on a Saturday it's been slowly dying for decades. Probably as far back as the 60s.    

Just watched the highlights of the Livingston game. A plastic pictch with 75% of stands with no one in them.  A Diddy league we've become. 

Just looking at the Premiership I still believe if others had a chance of actually challenging for the title we would see attendances increase, I do understand the old firm bump up the stats but even then many home supporters won’t even attend those games. The strange thing is the crowds down south have increased and not just at the top level, football has become far more attractive to families.  As an example when I was watching York in the 1970s in what’s now league 2  attendances were as low as 1200. York now play a level lower than that and the average this season is 4800. I honestly don’t know what the answer is in Scotland but I certainly don’t believe the old firms line that they prop up Scottish football, they kill it for many.

Any points against this mob would be most welcome, after today thats us completed our first full set of fixtures against all opposition. I don't think we have conceded a penalty kick as of yet this season but as per confident they'll get one. I see the ref today is the guy from bargain hunt, David Dickinson normally it's one of the well known crew such as Collum that takes charge of a game whenever one of the arse cheeks play.

I think Rangers have a few players missing especially defensively, after there midweek exploits I hope we can pile on the misery and reset that not won a league fixture against them in 20 years clock. 

27 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Any points against this mob would be most welcome, after today thats us completed our first full set of fixtures against all opposition. I don't think we have conceded a penalty kick as of yet this season but as per confident they'll get one. I see the ref today is the guy from bargain hunt, David Dickinson normally it's one of the well known crew such as Collum that takes charge of a game whenever one of the arse cheeks play.

I think Rangers have a few players missing especially defensively, after there midweek exploits I hope we can pile on the misery and reset that not won a league fixture against them in 20 years clock. 

Yep guaranteed Gers get a cheap as chips penalty with David Dickinson in charge........awwwww FFS!! Someone has beaten me to it again!!! COYW