Motherwell v Celtic 09/11/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

If we can keep it to 0-3 it will be an achievement

The sad thing is that’s probably the best case scenario we can hope for. Celtic are obviously a top side and when they’re on their game no side in Scotland can live with them, we’re not unique in that sense. My worry is that a serious hammering may well sap our already fragile confidence.

Last one was in December 2018. 1-1 draw in a game we were never in until a late Danny Johnson leveller. That was the last time we avoided defeat in this fixture.

The best midweek night under the lights v Celtic I can think of was almost ten years ago, February 2013. We won 2-1 with goals from Law and Higdon just after McFadden had returned first time around.

Sorry but if we keep playing this formation and the midfield don't tackle and track back then any time score into us.

It's got to the stage where all I want to see is some decent passing,some decent tackles in other words just basic footballing things.

If we get a player sent off by Collum with VAR for a tackle  then I know it's utter lies we couldn't tackle for toffee 

It would be madness to persist with the same formation and shields for this game.i would go with moult and van veen from the start and cause as much bother as we can,there's no point throwing moult on when the game is out of sight.i would have cornelius in for mckinstry to offer some legs in the middle of the park which will most definately be needed.

I agree that the midfield of Slattery, who couldn't pass water at the moment and Goss, who couldn't tackle anything, are not what's required. We need tacklers  and chasers in there.

Unfortunately I think we need to go back to long ball shite against this mob,  if we try and play out, they will close us down at every opportunity.

Edited by yosemite sam
spelling

11 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I agree that the midfield of Slattery, who couldn't pass water at the moment and Goss, who couldn't tackle anything, are not what's required. We need tacklers  and chasers in there.

Unfortunately I think we need to go back to long ball shite against this mob,  if we try and play out, they will close us down at every opportunity.

Personal view is Goss and Slattery are amongst our better midfielders . That said I'd shore up the midfield and with likes of Cornelius and perhaps Maguire. Be happy to play KVV up front and bring on Moult on 2nd half.

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Last one was in December 2018. 1-1 draw in a game we were never in until a late Danny Johnson leveller. That was the last time we avoided defeat in this fixture.

The best midweek night under the lights v Celtic I can think of was almost ten years ago, February 2013. We won 2-1 with goals from Law and Higdon just after McFadden had returned first time around.

That was a great night, done the double that season as well. 

The best midweek one I can remember was the 2-1 victory in 2002

Nobody gave us a chance in that game against a Celtic team who hadn’t lost for 9 months .  Plus of course we were in Administration 

Faddy ran riot that night, remember Celtic having Larssson, Sutton, Hartson and Maloney on at one point and the defence held out strong 

Type of game I would love to see now

35 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

It’s not that they can’t do a job, it’s the fact they have both gone backwards. Slattery was the best midfielder we had at one point and Goss was getting better and better, they both now look a shadow of their former selves.

• Like 1

We all know how it works with the Old Firm, and moreso Celtic these past few years. We need them to be off their game while we're on ours. 

All we can do is go out and give it a go. We could easily get humped 5-0, but we could also sneak a draw. Depends on which Celtic show up, and unfortunately under Postecoglu they don't seem to have many off days. 

20 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I like Slattery but we need a ball winner in there to compliment Goss. Cornelius might be a better option.

We are a solid holding midfielder, a quality wide player and a fit backup striker away from being actually not too bad. 

I’m missing something can u tell me what Goss and Slattery bring to the team I would love to read your thoughts on them 

1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

That was a great night, done the double that season as well. 

The best midweek one I can remember was the 2-1 victory in 2002

Nobody gave us a chance in that game against a Celtic team who hadn’t lost for 9 months .  Plus of course we were in Administration 

Faddy ran riot that night, remember Celtic having Larssson, Sutton, Hartson and Maloney on at one point and the defence held out strong 

Type of game I would love to see now

Forgot that was a midweek game for some reason! Shaun Fagan got our first with a diving header.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

I’m missing something can u tell me what Goss and Slattery bring to the team I would love to read your thoughts on them 

Goss’ range of passing has been great, he’s also put some wicked corners and set pieces in just waiting for someone to get on the end of.

We also play a fuckload less hoofball these days because Goss actually takes the ball from defence and links the play. If we had KVV and a fit Moult up top or even KVV with some quality wide players then Goss would thrive.

Slattery I think has potential but is out of form right now and is still relatively young, if we sacrifice anyone from midfield it should probably be him for a ball winner to compliment Goss. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Goss’ range of passing has been great, he’s also put some wicked corners and set pieces in just waiting for someone to get on the end of.

We also play a fuckload less hoofball these days because Goss actually takes the ball from defence and links the play. If we had KVV and a fit Moult up top or even KVV with some quality wide players then Goss would thrive.

Slattery I think has potential but is out of form right now and is still relatively young, if we sacrifice anyone from midfield it should probably be him for a ball winner to compliment Goss. 

Cheers mate everybody entitled to an opinion 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I'm with you here. 

Slattery is not brilliant at chasing back.  Solution - stick him in front of the defence , have him as holding midfielder.  
Goss , completely agree - why do people expect him to go win a ball, it's not his game, he has craft and guile - if he could tackle , chase etc he'd not be at Motherwell. 

The missing bit for me is we need more than 3 in midfield. I believe we're a better team with Corenelius than without him, not saying he's impressive but it works for us and helps connect the move forward part of midfield. 

All day long I'd drop Shields (for just about anyone) but for now an extra midfielder and push up the wingbacks when we can makes a lot of sense., not just v' Celtic but in general. 

Only way we can get something is too get in their faces and not give them time on the ball. We can bring 5 subs on so if everyone runs themselves into the ground for an hour we can bring on fresh legs. Yes it's a long shot but you never know.....a bit like me being support act for Peter Kay on his new tour!!