Motherwell v Celtic 09/11/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, Coatsy said:

We could field two teams and still get beat tonight

Sadly true. Tonight can’t be over quick enough and then we can focus on Perth on Saturday, which in reality is a much bigger game for us than this one.

1 minute ago, Yodo said:

So with that team SH has picked this could be a real hammering . Celtics strength is playing at a high tempo yet he’s picked the slowest midfield in the league sorry Stevie but u need to up yer game and the fitness of the squad 

What would your alternative be?

11 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Mugabi at the back against their rapid front line is a terrifying thought.

I like Bevis but against this lot I can see a PK in their future. Having said that sometime he just plays a blinder. C’mon big man. You can do it!! No pk’s and couple of headed goals at other end. 

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

What would your alternative be?

Slattery Spittal on the bench Moult ( till he runs oot of steam ) up front Mckinstry back in middle and give young Miller a run out or McGuire ( don’t rate but more mobile than the two lazy bastards ) 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Deano for shields defo right move.  I ain't a Sol fan but bringing Bevis in not exactly an upgrade.  Anyway let's see what happens, majority of us going tonight with no expectations so hopefully we are all in for a major cheery surprise.....COYW

Cornelius in for Shields is definitely an upgrade so I’m pleased to see that switch. I don’t understand the Mugabi for Sol change though, unless Sol is carrying a knock? By the looks of their line up they are going with a front three of Jota, Kyogo and Abada so if they are on their game they will do some serious damage tonight.

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Both slower than a week in the jail and cant tackle a fish supper . They along with Spittal are the problems in the team , Celtic will play round them and we will take another scudding 

They along with Spittal are the only footballers in our midfield. Without them we have Maguire and Cornelius. Celtic would play around them just as easily and would have more opportunity to do so as we wouldnt be able to keep the ball.

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

They along with Spittal are the only footballers in our midfield. Without them we have Maguire and Cornelius. Celtic would play around them just as easily and would have more opportunity to do so as we wouldnt be able to keep the ball.

So we both agree our midfield are shite If the three stooges are not on the ball then they offer nothing for professional footballers their fitness is sadly lacking 

22 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So with that team SH has picked this could be a real hammering . Celtics strength is playing at a high tempo yet he’s picked the slowest midfield in the league sorry Stevie but u need to up yer game and the fitness of the squad 

Which midfielders do we have that you think are quicker?

10 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Slattery Spittal on the bench Moult ( till he runs oot of steam ) up front Mckinstry back in middle and give young Miller a run out or McGuire ( don’t rate but more mobile than the two lazy bastards ) 

None of those players have any pace. Only Maguire can tackle and you have already said his distribution isnt good. Thankfully Stevie Hammell is the manager if thats the best you can do.

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yep , that's my point , need to get balance right, an Alan Campbell type in there , we don't seem to have that at moment

This is why our academy is so important. Alan Campbell is the quality of player we can't afford to bring in. Even more so for a Turnbull. To lose both of them in a relatively short period of time was always going to be a huge hole to fill.

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

This is why our academy is so important. Alan Campbell is the quality of player we can't afford to bring in. Even more so for a Turnbull. To lose both of them in a relatively short period of time was always going to be a huge hole to fill.

We pretty quickly went from bringing through Scott, Turnbull, Hastie, and already having Campbell and things looking very rosy to losing them all.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

We pretty quickly went from bringing through Scott, Turnbull, Hastie, and already having Campbell and things looking very rosy to losing them all.

Re the Academy, we have to remember there were 2 years of Covid where our youths didnt play football. That interrupted their development right at the time we needed to be bringing through the next group. Its no surprise that we have hit a gap in the production line.

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

None of those players have any pace. Only Maguire can tackle and you have already said his distribution isnt good. Thankfully Stevie Hammell is the manager if thats the best you can do.

That’s what SH gets paid for but three stooges are dragging him doon every week but somehow he keeps picking them 

Re team selection. Im not sure its the  right one and doesnt sit well with me, but we dont know if Sol has an injury which has required Mugabi to play instead of Sol rather than alongside in a 3. Maybe he just thinks Bevis is more mobile, which he is, and he wants to stick to our usual formation but changing personnel for the specific threats Celtic pose. Anyway, he has made his decision and we will just need to see if it works out.

3 minutes ago, Yodo said:

That’s what SH gets paid for but three stooges are dragging him doon every week but somehow he keeps picking them 

Im not sure how he picks players  with the abilities you are looking for when we dont have them in the squad. Unless he is Harry Potter......

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Re team selection. Im not sure its the  right one and doesnt sit well with me, but we dont know if Sol has an injury which has required Mugabi to play instead of Sol rather than alongside in a 3. Maybe he just thinks Bevis is more mobile, which he is, and he wants to stick to our usual formation but changing personnel for the specific threats Celtic pose. Anyway, he has made his decision and we will just need to see if it works out.

Hopefully we can get a performance out the 11 chosen 

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

I think sol has been decent this season,it would be a bit shit if he's been dropped for the handball on sunday,mugabi being brought in who's hardly kicked a this season is giving me the fear.

I think he's carrying a knock,been down a couple of times in recent games

To be fair Sol has been poor of late getting caught out by Duk for Aberdeen’s winner the other week though Lamie was equally culpable for that one, and then Sunday’s handball for the penalty. Bevis is probably a bit more mobile but I’d say he’s even more likely to have an absolute brainstorm and I definitely don’t think this is the type of game for him.

Time will tell though.