Scottish Cup 2022/2023

MJC

16 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

January 2000 I think.  Game was called off mid match because of the gales. After the game there was quite a bit of trouble in front of the ground. We then drew the game at Arbroath; the rearranged replay at FP was called off; and we won final game only to be knocked out by Ayr in the next round. Quite a saga. 

Correct it was January 2000 and the entire tie was absolutely mental. 

As you say abandoned at half time due to high winds howling in right off the North sea when we were 1-0 up. We then made a pigs ear of the re-arranged game in midweek and drew 1-1 and the Fir Park replay was then postponed at least twice due to water-logging and we ended up playing it on the same weekend that the (then) 4th Round ties were meant to be played.

For the ‘Romance of the Cup’ and as January Scottish Cup away days go this tie is absolutely perfect. It is though a potentially very tricky one so hopefully we are up to it on the day.

23 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Correct it was January 2000 and the entire tie was absolutely mental. 

As you say abandoned at half time due to high winds howling in right off the North sea when we were 1-0 up. We then made a pigs ear of the re-arranged game in midweek and drew 1-1 and the Fir Park replay was then postponed at least twice due to water-logging and we ended up playing it on the same weekend that the (then) 4th Round ties were meant to be played.

For the ‘Romance of the Cup’ and as January Scottish Cup away days go this tie is absolutely perfect. It is though a potentially very tricky one so hopefully we are up to it on the day.

I was there. It was a complete windy shitemare. I was in crutches after breaking my ankle on the eve of the Millennium.

13 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I was there. It was a complete windy shitemare. I was in crutches after breaking my ankle on the eve of the Millennium.

I was there too, a ‘relative’ youngster back then!

The thing that sticks out was that the tannoy was even worse than the old East Stand tannoy at Fir Park and it was hard to hear the announcement about the game being abandoned. I remember the guy in front of us turning round an asking my dad “did he just say that the game’s been abandoned there”? and then word spread more from folk who had actually heard the announcement and the ones who had radios. There was a lot of shouting/bother with the police if I remember correctly.

Something else that sticks out from this game was the whole away end chanting “No fucking merger” in response to midweek reports that John Boyle was planning to buy Airdrie and merge them with us to create ‘Lanarkshire United’. Thankfully that never came to fruition.

12 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Looks like a pre-match sesh in the Tutties'  Neuk right enough.

Last time I was at Gayfield I saw a  sign on the  doorbell of a wee house  near the ground which had  a smokehouse at the back. It said, "Ring for Fish".  So,  I rang for fish and Lo! the smokies were provided.

Life's like that sometimes......

I think that was probably just Marillions house.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

I know that just thought it was fishy  :thankyou:

Warning: may contain nuts/apocryphal material......

An old friend of mine (sadly departed)  claimed that, at a 'Well match at Shawfield, Clyde were about to take off Brian Ahern, their veteran midfielder. As the new substitute (unknown) was waiting to come on, a Clyde fan vented, "Oh, no! They're taking off Ahern and bringing on a haddie!"

And don't get  me started on Harry Haddock.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Not surprised about saints v rangers but FFS!! Celtic v Morton? 

BBC Scotland were never going to pass up on the chance to show their beloved Celtic live. That’ll be like Christmas come early for Liam McLeod.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...