Spurs friendly

SteelmaninOZ

23 hours ago, steelboy said:

4 nil against that line up isn't a bad result.

We have a few big games before the window opens. Our results in December and signings in January will make or break us.

A good summing up. We have 4 very tough games coming up (aren't they all?) including two extremely tricky home fixtures before Christmas.  I'm pinning a lot on January signings as they could well make or break our season, as you say.  The central defence, midfield and strikeforce all need urgent attention. Whether that objective is feasible in a notoriously difficult  window is another matter entirely.  

• Like 1

It's not even a case of getting a striker that can score week in week out it's a striker that can take the load off KVV one that's actually fit capable of 90mins.

Said it before KVV with a workhorse playing beside him be a different player altogether let him get on with scoring from open play.

A Ryan Bowman esk 6 month loan puts himself about gets stuck in leaving his partner to bang them in.

Oh and a player in midfield that can actually tackle plus Max Johnston to start at right back!

On 12/9/2022 at 11:55 PM, gaz7 said:

Bloody hell that game was embarrassing as is hammells interview

Highlights how far we are behind top epl teams and their reserves.

This was a friendly but I'd imagine any Well player of any substance would have looked upon it as a game v a top English team and seen it as an opportunity. 

Alas our players were too scared to go near them. 

I watched from 30 mins on and watched their midfielder Skipp rattle 3 of ours but we never committed 1 foul between 30 and 65 mins. 

We think they are a different breed and are scared to tackle them incase they complain. 

Scunnered with that today and some will come on and say we can't compete with them which is their right I just don't get lack of application.

Rab Shannon jamie Dolan Jim Griffin Dougie arnott etc all average scottish journeymen would not have accepted that today .

Felt like this after sligo and honestly struggling seeing any positives in our team before next week.

The league and players down south are a million miles away from the Scottish Premiership.

18 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I don’t wanna start a debate on what to do with Moult etc, purely want the facts - has his loan been terminated?

There was rumours of that when he first sustained the ankle knock but it appears his injection has been a success and he has been our best option in centre forward in recent games so hopefully we can keep him until summer and get best out of him!

2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

There was rumours of that when he first sustained the ankle knock but it appears his injection has been a success and he has been our best option in centre forward in recent games so hopefully we can keep him until summer and get best out of him!

Highly unlikely as was any ‘success’

On 12/10/2022 at 12:45 AM, weeyin said:

Liverpool at Ibrox showed how far away EPL teams are from Scottish Premiership teams.

When you consider that many of their players could literally buy our club with a year of their salary it's hardly surprising. It's literally a different world they operate in.

Pre-covid, when our club had a turnover of £4.9 million, Spurs had a turnover of nearly £490 million. That's quite a staggering gulf and while it's easy to say money isn't the only factor in a team's success, there isn't any team in England with a £4.9 million turnover challenging for a Champions League spot.

In a football world where virtually everything is decided by television money and sports washing Scottish football is and always will be an insignificant player.

We exist within the constrains of a limited market and nothing is going to change that.  Even Rangers and Celtic are deluded if they think they can garner a worldwide following.

What Scottish football should be focusing on is developing youth players and modern tactics and coaching but one look at most line ups on a Saturday, the standard of fare which is basically a grim slog for annual survival in the Premiership for most teams, and the absolutely catastrophic state of the youth development system in this country, which goes backwards by the year, shows we are intent on hitting the self destruct button over and over.

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In a football world where virtually everything is decided by television money and sports washing Scottish football is and always will be an insignificant player.

We exist within the constrains of a limited market and nothing is going to change that.  Even Rangers and Celtic are deluded if they think they can garner a worldwide following.

What Scottish football should be focusing on is developing youth players and modern tactics and coaching but one look at most line ups on a Saturday, the standard of fare which is basically a grim slog for annual survival in the Premiership for most teams, and the absolutely catastrophic state of the youth development system in this country, which goes backwards by the year, shows we are intent on hitting the self destruct button over and over.

I agree with much of that. Do you though, subscribe to any TV sports channels?

20 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The main problem is the way the game is run in Scotland,  the SFA /SPFL and every other body that has a say is not fit for purpose, in term of world football Scotland are a Diddy nation and they fail to realise that.

We have guys from clubs like Brechin  ffs having a Say in how football is run, all they want is a seat on the plane for international trips expenses paid and big match tickets for them and all their pals.

Unless we get a structure in place fit for 21st century football with proper youth development,  investment in training and coaching, help for the clubs, use of new technology, etc the game in his country will go nowhere.

21 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I totally agree with you on this Ya bezzer and I read a thread at weekend that highlighted the amount of scottish players playing in spfl and also now our championship and the figures were horrendous. I whinge about our lack of scots in team but we were top of pile nearly with an average of 5 players a game starting along with another 4 teams. Then another 4 with 4ish each and glasgow 2 and aberdeen with 2ish each a game. That is a downright disgrace in my eyes and highlights maybe a lack of talent within Scotland but certainly a thought process with management that lower level english players are better which is of course not usually the case as we have seen.

The catastrophic state of youth development as you state is again a huge topic and again I would agree with you having been involved and seeing it through my own eyes. I do honestly feel it is simple to improve by getting more participation in schools. It is no coincidence that most of our recent successes within national team (patterson,gilmour,hickey etc ) went to performance schools and so were playing football everyday of their lives growing up at their school.

Boys do not play up the park like they did 20/30/40 years ago and for a lot the only football they play is organised at boys clubs with their mums and dads watching on and in a lot of cases shouting and screaming at them. Some boys cant play because of costs involved some drop out because the coach favours their own or their pals own etc etc and they only play /train for a few hours a week.

If every school had a dedicated coach for all the school teams in the country (roughly 300 schools) and was implementing similar to what goes on at performance schools then it seems quite simple that we would have a bigger pool of players in this country that would filter into every level of football. 

Football whether us older ones like to admit or not does not have the same pull as years gone by so I feel that we need to encourage it more and we have a captive audience at schools so this is way to go.

The joy that football can bring to a country is unrivalled as can be seen with the scenes from Argentina in last day and the performance schools and rangers and celtic in effect having their own schools helps but there is so much more we can do

• Like 1

Yup. Totally agree. Requires government intervention to imbed football and sport in general as an integral part of our education system. Not everyone can be an academic so we need to be nurturing the other skills of our young people. Not only will it give them the best start in life, but our sporting endeavours as a nation would also improve.

6 hours ago, gaz7 said:

I totally agree with you on this Ya bezzer........

If every school had a dedicated coach for all the school teams in the country (roughly 300 schools) and was implementing similar to what goes on at performance schools then it seems quite simple that we would have a bigger pool of players in this country that would filter into every level of football.

Good post and I agree with most of it. However concentrating on schools is a  huge no no.  Teachers stopped taking an active interest in schools football years ago and why should they? Where would the money to pay for it come from?  It would have to come from the SFA coffers, as Local Authorities would not be interested. A good idea though if it can be funded properly. 

42 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good post and I agree with most of it. However concentrating on schools is a  huge no no.  Teachers stopped taking an active interest in schools football years ago and why should they? Where would the money to pay for it come from?  It would have to come from the SFA coffers, as Local Authorities would not be interested. A good idea though if it can be funded properly. 

Schools have to be where its concentrate as everyone goes to school so the pool of players is 100% of population. 

The kudos for a school would be huge if they were doing well and this can be seen with braidhurst which regularly is bottom of league tables for academic results but wins a lot of football trophy and so the school has a huge sense of pride.

I don't know what a coach at a performance school is on but I'd imagine maybe 20 to 25k so 300 schools with 1 coach full time is 6 to 7.5 Mill a year.

A huge outlay but £1.50 roughly for every person in Scotland doesn't sound much to me for the benefits it would bring.

I know the figures would not be as straightforward as that but as a ballpark figure maybe not too far away.

I'm likely living in dreamland however unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

How about the Scottish Government?

We need to start being serious about the health of our nation, and that starts with promoting sport and fitness properly.

The benefits for our young people and the savings for our health service would be imeasurable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Schools have to be where its concentrate as everyone goes to school so the pool of players is 100% of population. 

The kudos for a school would be huge if they were doing well and this can be seen with braidhurst which regularly is bottom of league tables for academic results but wins a lot of football trophy and so the school has a huge sense of pride.

Not sure if it's still the case, but pro youth clubs didn't allow their players to play schools football and some players just didn't play due to saturation.

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Not sure if it's still the case, but pro youth clubs didn't allow their players to play schools football and some players just didn't play due to saturation.

I think that still is the case.

I think you need as broad a foundation as possible though. Some players develop later than others and many wont be picked up at elite level. 

Doesnt mean that they cant go on to be good players or make a living from the game.  

10 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

And that is a problem in itself. The clubs are only interested in themselves and the ratio of them producing players is imo low and the way the majority get treated is poor.

A boy at 12 getting told he can't play with his pals is a ridiculous suggestion and boys and parents agree to it because they think they have too.

Very few players now make it that haven't played pro youth and or been in performance schools so what I'm saying is let's have every school try and replicate what a performance school does.

I'm also sure for family life that getting training and coaching and playing every day at your local school is more beneficial than travelling round trip 2 or 3 hours 3 or 4 times a week.

There are loads of good players being missed or falling out of love with game at high school age due to lack of opportunities but as stated earlier in thread the number of scots in our top teams is ridiculously low so the chance for young Scots to fill those positions are there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

It has to be complete integration or none, and that will never happen, a romantic notion that somehow we should support professional football through schools that's seriously outdated.

But we are supporting it through schools.  That's the whole point. Just not enough schools.

Every player nearly who's been in our 1st team from academy in recent years has come through braidhurst. 

Other than turnbull and maybe some others I don't know so it's proven it works. 

If you look at most scotland underage squads now majority say jd performance next to their name.

It's not outdated it's happening now.

11 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

It has to be complete integration or none, and that will never happen, a romantic notion that somehow we should support professional football through schools that's seriously outdated.

My point is, it shouldnt just be about football. As a country we should be far more serious about all sport due to the health benefits involved.  Facilities are another huge issue that requires joined up thinking and government funding.