Livingston V Motherwell 2/1/2023

Kmcalpin

2 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

We were in it before today

I know that but the results today don't help. We could have moved a little further clear of Utd and closer to St Johnstone. today. The fact that the reverse has happened makes it a real bad day.

Time to roll out our "saviour signings" this month

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

If we don’t win one of the next two it’s time up for me I’m afraid, I just don’t believe he’s going to pick up enough points

Four points from the next two is required I think, otherwise it could spell trouble for Hammell.

14 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

I know that but the results today don't help. We could have moved a little further clear of Utd and closer to St Johnstone. today. The fact that the reverse has happened makes it a real bad day.

Time to roll out our "saviour signings" this month

But if our strikers miss open goals, what hope is there?

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

You were saying?

He’s got to score that, no defending a miss like that. That said he is still by far and away our best and only serious goal threat and if we lose him for any period to injury then we might as well start looking forward to Friday night games on BBC Scotland next season.

22 minutes ago, David said:

Four points from the next two is required I think, otherwise it could spell trouble for Hammell.

He has about the lowest win percentage of any manager since I think the 1980s. There has to be a point that someone else gets a shot at it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJC said:

He’s got to score that, no defending a miss like that. That said he is still by far and away our best and only serious goal threat and if we lose him for any period to injury then we might as well start looking forward to Friday night games on BBC Scotland next season.

He took his goal well but the miss is horrible, he missed an open goal v Dundee utd earlier in season, we could be 4 pts better off....you just shouldn't miss open goals 

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He has about the lowest win percentage of any manager since I think the 1980s. There has to be a point that someone else gets a shot at it.

Only the fact that he is a club legend and so popular with the support is what is keeping the ‘boo-boys’ off Stevie Hammell’s back right now. If Alexander was still in charge he would get far less leeway.

Of course this mess is not in any way all down to SH but he has a big, big month ahead of him and things need to improve because this has all the hallmarks of a team heading for relegation.

The fine margins are what is going to cost us come the summer. We should have beaten Dundee Utd at home, only got a draw.  We should have taken at least a point from Hearts at Tynecastle but lost, should have beaten Killie at home, threw 2 pts away. Should have beaten Livingston today, only drew. Our inability to defend at one end and/or score goals at the other has played a part in all of those results going against us and things need to start picking up asap.

6 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The problem is, he was brought in literally two days before the league season started, and was given the job on a permanent basis on August 11th, two games in.

It was the worst possible scenario, as I've said a few times before. At that stage we should have kept Alexander until December or so and seen if he could get the players back on track. It was sheer madness to give him the summer,  allowing him to bring in three first-team players on permanent contracts then part ways days before the league season started.

We should either have parted company at the end of last season, or stuck with him until November/December depending on results.

This mess is as a result of the board royally fucking up. And it's out of character, as we normally don't do that when it comes to how we work with managers. 

If we appoint Hammell in August then bin him before he's really had a transfer window to work with it'll just add to the chaos, as the next manager will be coming in with the January window already open and in progress and will have to rush some signings in and try to get the team on track.

That kind of behaviour is what leads to relegation. We've thrown ourselves into this position with some horrific decision making. Now the board must decide if they follow that up with some more mental decision making or stick with a young manager that seemingly impressed enough to get the job on a permanent basis only five months ago, giving him a window to get some players in who can play how he wants the team to play, and then reassess in the summer.

• Like 2

We've had the same head of recruitment throughout all of this. I sympathize with the timing of hammell coming in with regards to improving the style of play, but this shouldn't have interuppred our recruitment in any way. I agree that Hammel is in danger of losing his job, but surely Daws must be in the firing line too?

I agree with what David says above about changing the manager now being chaotic. Like it or not I think we need to stick with Hammell and back him this month in the transfer window and hope for the best really because that's all we can do.

The manager situation over the summer and at the beginning of the season was absolutely shambolic as Alexander was never getting sacked in May having delivered Europe, but it was painfully obvious we were only heading one way. It did nothing but paper over huge cracks and he and we were found out big time with the Sligo games.

The seeds for all of this chaos and the situation we now find ourselves in were planted at the very same ground we played at today back last April. Had we lost that day Alexander goes in the summer and our entire approach to this season would be completely different.

also hope to feck were not involved with ross co at the bottom ( probs will be ) cause i think malky mckay is to experienced and wise for SH   in who he knows in the game and he he can get loans off, SH and our mob in my opinion DONT have many contacts in that dept,    am struggling to think of our last good loanee

26 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Didn't see any of it but would have taken a point before start of game

Could have, should have taken 3 points but yes, I said before game that 1 point was a decent acceptable day for us in this fixture. For next 2 home games we should be expecting 6 points. Which is a big ask considering our record this season but that’s the whole point, we have to start turning results around and start winning games. 6 points, then I’d say away against St Mirren, a draw is acceptable.