Motherwell V St Johnstone 01/02/2023

Kmcalpin

9 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

But you have Goss. He’s playing out his skin just now. 

FFs that’s probably one of the worst midfields I have ever seen suggested on here or any forum. 

St Johnstone would run right over the top of us.

Would you care to share your opinion of how we should line up

No idea if the new signings will turn our season around, especially as we dont know the idenities of the ones coming in later today. But business has been done and our fans need to get behind the team tonight and see if we can get that extra 10% out of them that will turn a narrow defeat or a draw into a positive result. 

Our season starts here. Lets have you 'Wellfans!

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I suspect the new faces will be on the bench given how recently they have arrived (if they have even arrived), tonight’s lineup may have a familiar look.

All three we have signed must play tonight there is no reason not to play them and let’s face it they can’t be any worse than the players we have persisted with 

• Like 1

Well Sheilds certainly cant play, so that should please some!

Crankshaw certainly appears to offer us something different so expect him to start and I would expect Danzaki to get a run out at some point.

Maybe too early for the others, but depends how much football they have played.

Should be enough there to freshen the side up and stop our support losing their shit.

1 minute ago, Yodo said:

All three we have signed must play tonight there is no reason not to play them and let’s face it they can’t be any worse than the players we have persisted with 

How about travel, not trained with the team, fitness levels?

Furlong would be the least risk as a LB job can be more straight forward. But Id be surprised to see Aitchison and Obika start.

Sheilds is gone so thats a place up for grabs and I would expect Crankshaw to start.

Midfield wise Danzaki has to start in midfield. He at least has had a few days to train with his team mates.

I’ll give you “training with the team” not “fitness”. Aitchison played and scored last weekend so should be up to speed. Obika is just back from his loan spell. Awe hell who cares we need freshening up. Throw them in cant’t be worse than what we’ve been watching. Suppose we only get 60 minutes out them - we’ll be 3 or 4 up at that point 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

I’ll give you “training with the team” not “fitness”. Aitchison played and scored last weekend so should be up to speed. Obika is just back from his loan spell. Awe hell who cares we need freshening up. Throw them in cant’t be worse than what we’ve been watching. Suppose we only get 60 minutes out them - we’ll be 3 or 4 up at that point 🤣

Ive no issue with throwing players in if they are ready. Id be more than happy to see it.

Just pointing out that its not always quite as simple as Yodo would like.

Tonight is massive and everyone needs to be up for it.  Hammell needs to be bold with his starting line up, we are on a horrendous run so he can't keep going with the same personnel.  If Spittal starts then please don't give the guy pelters for every touch, hardly going to help.  Shields and Johansen away and they were 2 of our poorest players but as I previously said the abuse shields got was ridiculous.

We need the fans creating a great atmosphere (but no flares please), Sitting in east stand some of the fans are off their seats after 10 mins giving players stick. This has got worse in recent seasons and certainly made me uncomfortable.  We need encouragement to whatever team starts.

Hammy has had 6 months and needs to start showing he is learning from mistakes and needs to stop being loyal to some players.  Injuries haven't helped him but at same time some team selections been baffling.

So let's all go tonight, create a great atmosphere and hopefully see a long awaited win....... altogether now........CCCCCOOOOOOYYYYYYWWWWWWWWWWW

Id go with this........

Kelly

Mcginn Blaney Lamie

Johnston                                    Furlong/SOD

Danzaki  Slattery McKinstry

KvV

Or alternatively..........

Kelly

Jonhnston  Blaney  Lamie   Furlong /SOD

McGinn

Crankshaw Danzaki Slattery McKinstry

KVV

But there are numerous other permutations going forward especially once the new players are all up to speed. Hammy is no longer limited in his choices. I guess we will find out now how tactically astute or otherwise he is.

20 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Hammy needs to show some bravery and start several new faces tonight. If he doesn’t and we lose, I fear the crowd will turn on him. If he does and we lose, at least the crowd will know he tried. It’s a must win game tonight, however. 

Not sure fielding half a team of people who've never played together before will necessarily help, even though our usual starters look like they haven't either. I'm prepared to reserve judgement until the new arrivals are up to speed.

22 minutes ago, numpty said:

Not sure fielding half a team of people who've never played together before will necessarily help, even though our usual starters look like they haven't either. I'm prepared to reserve judgement until the new arrivals are up to speed.

True, it’s a fine balancing act for Hammy to try to get it right tonight. At the very least, we would hope that the arrival of several new players would give rise to more effort and fight from the existing flock of under-performers, particularly the midfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

At the very least, we would hope that the arrival of several new players would give rise to more effort and fight from the existing flock of under-performers, particularly the midfield. 

Hopefully, though there could be a number of other reasons as to why they have been underperforming.