Motherwell v St Mirren 16/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

14 hours ago, Benson said:

Yeah a competent manager,one that will change the playing staff into winners, ye can't polish a turd,the recruitment is a huge problem 

If we could roll that turd in glitter between now and the end of the season that'll do just fine. 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I wonder why we as a Club are so prone to having so many injured players at any one time...

Is it because we're just unlucky?

or

Is it because the players we recruit aren't fit enough or made to train hard enough to build the tolerance required to support them through the rigours of being an elite-level player?

or 

Otherwise?

Yes 

18 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I expect a big reaction on Wednesday which I feel is a kick in the teeth for Hammell. No idea if we will win but we shall see

I’m not sure at this point they are capable of a big reaction, the confidence and coaching is none existent. Robinson must be rubbing his hands with glee.

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Aye, and you’ve cut right to the heart of the problem.

I don’t subscribe to the theory (admittedly held by many) that the players “downed tools” on Hammell.  Although as the chairman alluded to in his statement of yesterday evening, there were a number of factors that led to Hammell’s demise, I believe that there were essentially two main ones that led to this whole sorry business:-

1. I believe most of the players at the club at present have been trying. But, the simple truth is, that they are just very poor footballers. Anybody who seriously thinks that this rag and bobtail bunch have the capability of “turning it on and off” when it suits them is greatly deluded.

2. Some managers have the skill set required to organise, motivate and squeeze a bit of improvement out of such footballers. However, we had a rookie manager in his first job who patently lacked such a skill set and was incapable of learning and acquiring it.

I think when these two factors are put together, it’s not hard to see and understand how we have gotten to where we are.

The Board must now try to ensure that whoever they appoint next has the desire and ability to coach, organise and motivate poor quality players and begin rebuilding through gradually improving the quality of players at the club. The last manager we had who was able to do that was Tommy McLean and that is now almost 30 years ago!

The last thing we needed for a squad of players lacking belief and technical ability was a rookie manager but for some reason the board went down that line. It was pretty much doomed from the off.

33 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I am also not for dropping him but I feel taking the captaincy off Kelly could maybe help him and just let him concentrate on being a goalie .   Butcher looks vocal so why not give it to him?

Admittedly there are bigger issues needing addressed but this was one tweak that might help

Kelly knows he’s been shite, but he’s been a great keeper for us over the piece. I would not drop him as he will return to form and he is a sellable asset. I do agree that giving the captaincy to a new and vocal outfield enforcer may be a good idea. 

• Like 1

I don't know what Kelly does behind the scenes, or how much stock he puts in being captain. On the face of it, taking that pressure away so that he can focus on playing could be a good thing, but it could be counterproductive.

I'll disagree with the "vocal" thing. What they say, and how they conduct themselves on the field matters more than how loud they shout. The Roy Keane persona is a cliche from the 90s. The same goes for the manager. A shouty ball-buster just isn't a thing anymore, 

As they say , its still in our hands. If there was only three games left then we would be totally fuked but still got time to scrape thru , although time is running out. The bad run has got to end at some point. Hammell going could be the jolt the team needs.

26 minutes ago, stv said:

Just hope we wear an claret and amber football strip for a change.

23 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Its doomed for relegation

The tone was set for this season when we released that ‘Classic throwback’ kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I don't know what Kelly does behind the scenes, or how much stock he puts in being captain. On the face of it, taking that pressure away so that he can focus on playing could be a good thing, but it could be counterproductive.

I'll disagree with the "vocal" thing. What they say, and how they conduct themselves on the field matters more than how loud they shout. The Roy Keane persona is a cliche from the 90s. The same goes for the manager. A shouty ball-buster just isn't a thing anymore, 

I think we do need a leader on the field with some vocal ability. When heads go down we need that encouragement. We need help to keep organized. When getting tired they need reminded to keep going. Sometimes they do need a kick up the arse as well. For me we don’t have that and I think it would help. 

I know it's 3 days away but can I ask everyone going on wed that we get right behind the team and create a great atmosphere?

Yes some of those wage stealers don't deserve it but the xi that start need us behind them and not getting nervy after 10 mins. The only way we are going to get out of this is by gathering momentum and all being together.

I dont think kettlewell is the answer but by jeez we need him to get us a positive result so he deserves our support for even just one game.

COYW

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wellfan said:

I wonder why we as a Club are so prone to having so many injured players at any one time...

or

Is it because the players we recruit aren't fit enough or made to train hard enough to build the tolerance required to support them through the rigours of being an elite-level player?

or 

Otherwise?

I would think a decent training ground/academy would help and Stephen Robinson insisted when our manager that a decent training facilities would benefit not only their fitness but he insisted that players would rather sign for teams with decent facilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I was a gk, only played at amateur level, but for a gk more than any other position confidence in yourself and your defenders is essential. So much of goalkeeping is split second decision making and reflexes. When your confidence is low and your mind is not clear you start overthinking and second guessing leading to the sort of mistakes that Liam is now making.

I've never understood making a gk captain for that reason. I wouldn't drop him, but I would move the captaincy to an outfield player, only one game I know but Butcher looked capable of that role

• Like 2

I would drop Kelly and give Oxborough the gloves for this one. Won’t happen though.

McKinstry, Crankshaw and Johnston, Saturdays HT subs must start on Wednesday night.

I expect the pseudo 80s kit to make a comeback and for us to lose 1-3.

Saturday was a watershed moment, I was gutted by how things turned out for Hammell but in all honesty, I couldn't see him recovering after the losses to St Mirren, St Johnstone, and Aberdeen who were all on stinking runs & we never laid a glove on them never mind the cup upset. I walked out of Stark's Park on Saturday not actually caring about the loss which is a sad state of affairs. I don't know why maybe it's just wishful thinking but I feel quite confident we will get a positive result on Wednesday night. 

• Like 1

It was clear to see on Saturday why there are so many injuries....the players aren't fit enough!

They ran there hearts out for a 15 minute spell in a 90 minute game and 2 of them went off with cramp or muscle injuries, pathetic!

Put that down to bad coaching or players not giving a toss, or both! You can see why we are where we are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

It was clear to see on Saturday why there are so many injuries....the players aren't fit enough!

They ran there hearts out for a 15 minute spell in a 90 minute game and 2 of them went off with cramp or muscle injuries, pathetic!

Put that down to bad coaching or players not giving a toss, or both! You can see why we are where we are. 

As I said the other day. I tend to think it's because they're not training hard enough, be that due to shite coaching or laziness, or both as you note. 

On 2/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, wellfan said:

or

or 

Otherwise?

• Like 1

I enjoyed listening to Kettlewell's interview, sometimes it's nice to be told how it is. I found it interesting as he was hinting about wee cliques developing and he spoke about players making mistakes, it was the fact he was saying he can accept honest mistakes it makes you wonder what he was getting at.

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Kelly

Johnson

Casey

Lamie (if fit)

Furlong

Slattery

Butcher

Goss

Crankshaw

KVV

McKinstry

3-0 to us, fuck it.

Sean Goss must be due to miss a game as he has recieved eight league cautions but not yet served a ban. KVV enjoyed playing against Declan Gallagher last season and on opening day this season, hopefully that continues tomorrow. A win would be massive as it would pop us back up beyond County and Killie with games against them in the very near future.