Motherwell v St Mirren 16/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

They did put in more effort than usual, and that is why the midfield started to fall off a cliff after about 70 mins. You have to wonder what the fuck they were doing in their previous training regime?! 

I think the fitness is ok,max.j was up and down the line all night,KVV clearly carrying a niggle didn't want to go off,spittal done great work backing up the front two and filling in in midfield,deano although not flashy he's probably went unnoticed for his work rate,the game has turned into a 16 man team,go out and burst a gut for an hour,don't be saving yourself to see out 90+ minutes,play hard for the time you're on the park there's now decent competition off the bench for various places,same commitment on Sunday guys,if we get beat then so be it at least you can look round the dressing room at each other and say we gave it our all

There were a few very positive signs yesterday. Casey looks like a real battler which is exactly what we need right now. Max J is a great out ball for us. Goss and Spittal kept it simple and worked a lot harder. KVV looked up for it and was trying to scrap Carson twice in the first 20 minutes which is always a good sign with him, you want him squaring up to people rather than sitting on the ground looking morbid. Butcher had some dig but also some compusure at points. 

Obika was comicly bad  and the Furlong looks miles out his depth but hopefully that will be addressed for Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Obika was comicly bad  and the Furlong looks miles out his depth but hopefully that will be addressed for Sunday. 

I thought both contributed well enough. Obika seemed to do better with balls that were around chest height evidenced by the first goal where he takes it then hits a nice layoff to Spittal who sent Van Veen through on goal. Furlong did well getting forward, left Marcus Fraser on his arse at one point, and sent in a delightful cross which was just a touch too high.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first half, and while the second half wasn't as exciting it was nice to see the fight which has been sadly lacking this season.

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Look at Obika's contribution to the first goal and when he played in Aitchison towards the end. I thought he was very good overall.

Obika not played many games recently so still getting up to speed. I don't see him as a target man as better with ball played to feet.  Also impressed with young Aitchison when he came on, looked lively and good to have options at last in forward areas

I'm not getting the Obika abuse. Aye, he was maybe a bit off the pace at times, but he was involved in various bits of play going forward, including the goal and when KVV sclaffed it past the post. A good few times he won flick ons, and if KVV was on his toes (he rarely is) we could have been in. His link-up play was generally more good than bad IMO.

His general presence in being both a nuisance and a tank likely enabled KVV to do what he's good at and helped keep some pressure off the midfield to enable them to play a bit. 

For far too long we've had zero stick up front, resulting in everything just coming back at us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'WellMagic! said:

I'm not getting the Obika abuse. Aye, he was maybe a bit off the pace at times, but he was involved in various bits of play going forward, including the goal and when KVV sclaffed it past the post. A good few times he won flick ons, and if KVV was on his toes (he rarely is) we could have been in. His link-up play was generally more good than bad IMO.

His general presence in being both a nuisance and a tank likely enabled KVV to do what he's good at and helped keep some pressure off the midfield to enable them to play a bit. 

For far too long we've had zero stick up front, resulting in everything just coming back at us. 

People just see a big guy and automatically assume he will be good in the air and put himself about.

He didnt win a header all night and you wouldnt have got a newspaper under his feet during most of his challenges.

That doesnt overly bother me as he was good with the ball into his chest and feet and was able to lay it off to others.

Probably more a case of us learning what he is good at, rather than demanding he do stuff he is not.

• Like 1

I had to go straight to bed after the football last night so.....

The thing I was mostly thinking about was if a board of the top tacticians and coaches in world football was assembled, asked to watch the match last night and then asked to draw up a report on it.  I'd be very interested in what they had to say!

I mean I'm not grumbling about 3 points but it was more akin to pinball-on-speed than football.  We showed some vim in the opening stages but as soon as St Mirren got the goal we just sort of slowly deflated to the point we were hanging on at the end.

Johnston's goal was fantastic but overall you can't really see the 'revival' continuing through the weekend if we perform like that.

It's that old broken record but the standard of Scottish football is comically bad.  22 wind up toys bumping into each other.  

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I mean I'm not grumbling about 3 points but it was more akin to pinball-on-speed than football.  We showed some vim in the opening stages but as soon as St Mirren got the goal we just sort of slowly deflated to the point we were hanging on at the end.

Hanging on at the end.....i dont think so Kelly never had a hard save to make 2nd half, all routine catches, St Mirren never came close to scoring anytime after their goal we defended and played well. As for the standard of Scottish football it is what it is, seriously what do people expect to see from two smaller clubs on a wet midweek night, it's never going to be an El Classico, if you wanted good silky football etc you should have stayed at home and watched the Arsenal v man city game, as you are never going to see it at Fir park. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 'WellMagic! said:

Totally agree. Goss has never been a bad player but went through a dip the last 4 weeks, I assume partly due to Hammell not having a clue how to best balance the team. My general feeling from Hammell's time is that he had nae idea and was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck.

We need a balance of ''footballers'' and grafters, and for the first time in ages, it actually felt like we had that last night. The team felt a lot less hole-y in general, especially thinking back to the two goals we lost against St Johnstone. 

try    dip in the last 14 weeks and your a wee bit nearer the mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I was actually hoping we might have got Tony Watt back in the January window but fuck me based on last night how wrong could I be. I also don't get the narrative he's not match fit. He's been in training every week the whole season. He has gone backwards by quite some measure since he left us.....

Yep agree totally, obviously better off financially but just looks like a player that has lost his enthusiasm 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I was actually hoping we might have got Tony Watt back in the January window but fuck me based on last night how wrong could I be. I also don't get the narrative he's not match fit. He's been in training every week the whole season. He has gone backwards by quite some measure since he left us.....

He was always at best an average player with a below average goal scoring record, we got an excellent 4 or 5 months from him before he reverted to type.

The only thing he's ever been really good at is making a decent living all based on one wonder goal against Barcelona over 10 years ago, a proper football mercenary well past his sell by date.

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He was always at best an average player with a below average goal scoring record, we got an excellent 4 or 5 months from him before he reverted to type.

The only thing he's ever been really good at is making a decent living all based on one wonder goal against Barcelona over 10 years ago, a proper football mercenary well past his sell by date.

Alas I fear this is true.

If what was between his ears was the same.level as whats in his feet he would be a world beater.

But it isnt, and he is not........

8 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The only thing he's ever been really good at is making a decent living all based on one wonder goal against Barcelona over 10 years ago

Even that wasn't particularly wondrous, he just ran onto a through ball with which Xavi had decided to split his own defence.

21 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's that old broken record but the standard of Scottish football is comically bad.  22 wind up toys bumping into each other.  

Scottish football is what it is. It's a league where most players are paid the equivalent to lower league wages down south, and if you remove the Old Firm from the equation we're a league befitting the size of our country.

I think sometimes fans up here see the stuff on offer on Sky and draw comparisons, which is totally unfair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David said:

I think sometimes fans up here see the stuff on offer on Sky and draw comparisons, which is totally unfair.

Not only that, but any regular viewer of the EPL or English Championship will be served up their fair share of mince. Sky is just better at convincing you it's steak. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not only that, but any regular viewer of the EPL or English Championship will be served up their fair share of mince. Sky is just better at convincing you it's steak. 

Sky totally overhype the English leagues, and don't start me on Martin Tyler saying.....AND IT'S LIVVEEEEEEEEEEEE", naw Martin sometimes it's just plain average