Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Was a mistake from Gent but for Kelly and Spittal to have a go really is pot kettle and black.

I'll show a Spittal a video montage of his corners and free kicks this season then see how he likes it.  As for Kelly I wouldn't criticise anyone after his past few months.

SK should have criticised Bair also as he was slow to react after the poor clearance.  Also SK is the man that thinks Spittal is a wing back, enough said.

I am still backing SK and I have defended Spittal plenty of times but poor show from them yesterday 

Very poor show from both of them yesterday disappointed to say the least 

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, wellfan said:

I measure Kettlewell on this season. It was KVV who saved us last season. 

Completely discounting the second part of the statement, I agree with the first. What Kettlewell did last season doesn't really come into how we should act this season. 

He has a 19% win rate in the league, which isn't great, but more important for me is that we're currently on course to finish the league campaign in 9th or 10th if we continue as we are.  And that's if we don't really improve at all, and finish the season with around 7 wins and 14 draws. 

Going by the points tallies in the past five seasons (discounting the Covid season) that should be enough to see us finish 9th or 10th. 11th spot would be outside the average, but of course is still possible if unlikely.

But bear in mind, the above is based on us continuing this season as we have been. I don't know if we could get worse. I do think we could see an uptick in form, even if it's slight. A win or two above the averages mentioned will be enough to see us finish the season safe.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Was a mistake from Gent but for Kelly and Spittal to have a go really is pot kettle and black.

I'll show a Spittal a video montage of his corners and free kicks this season then see how he likes it.  As for Kelly I wouldn't criticise anyone after his past few months.

SK should have criticised Bair also as he was slow to react after the poor clearance.  Also SK is the man that thinks Spittal is a wing back, enough said.

I am still backing SK and I have defended Spittal plenty of times but poor show from them yesterday 

I don't think Kettlewell 'thinks Spittal is a wing back'. Who would you have played there yesterday, given the available players ? We only had three players on the bench yesterday with any experience. Butcher clearly wasn't fit enough to start, McGinley hasn't kicked a ball in months and Obika wouldn't really have been the ideal choice for right wing back. I don't think Spittal playing there was an experiment, more of a neccesity.

2 hours ago, AllyMax said:

I don't think Kettlewell 'thinks Spittal is a wing back'. Who would you have played there yesterday, given the available players ? We only had three players on the bench yesterday with any experience. Butcher clearly wasn't fit enough to start, McGinley hasn't kicked a ball in months and Obika wouldn't really have been the ideal choice for right wing back. I don't think Spittal playing there was an experiment, more of a neccesity.

Fair do's pal. Spittal certainly better option than McGinley.  I am just really angry with Spittal if that was his reaction after the game. Should look at his own performances first and this is from myself who has defended him a lot

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Fair do's pal. Spittal certainly better option than McGinley.  I am just really angry with Spittal if that was his reaction after the game. Should look at his own performances first and this is from myself who has defended him a lot

think he was just rantin n raven at gent out of in the minute frustration, when he looks back today he will probs apolagise and move on ,   cause as has been said, hees not been like messi himself,  people in glass houses dont throw stones n al that,,,,,,,,,,, thank u

13 minutes ago, smiddy said:

think he was just rantin n raven at gent out of in the minute frustration, when he looks back today he will probs apolagise and move on ,   cause as has been said, hees not been like messi himself,  people in glass houses dont throw stones n al that,,,,,,,,,,, thank u

Probably right sir.  Mrs Grizzly rants and raves at me every time I tell a bad joke,sure it is heat of the moment.........or mibbees naw!! 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

Bit like yersel rantin and raving 

18 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Bit like yersel rantin and raving 

yip    to much time on my hands yodo,   could you employ me yodo ?  i am not very good at anything, but can type shite for scotland, thats why i was hoping you were looking for someone ,😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

I think this is definitely the case.

I would have probably have gone 4 at the back and played a 4-3-3 but not sure that would have looked a lot different in and out of possession.

We were down to bare bones yesterday so getting a point was pretty good, a win would have been quite incredible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, wellfan said:

He's going nowhere this season, but I’ll be extremely disappointed if he's offered a new contract in the summer. Whichever way you square it, one league win in eighteen games is simply unacceptable. 

Serious question. Before Levien went to St J and Adams to Ross Co, had you been told kettlewell had been sacked and the short list was Adams amd Levien, would you have been delighted about it ? And even more important, would you be calling for them to be sacked now if we were still in the same league position with the same number of points ?

1 minute ago, AllyMax said:

Serious question. Before Levien went to St J and Adams to Ross Co, had you been told kettlewell had been sacked and the short list was Adams amd Levien, would you have been delighted about it ? And even more important, would you be calling for them to be sacked now if we were still in the same league position with the same number of points ?

There are probably posts of mine somewhere here where I've said no to both. No matter who the manager is/was, I'd always be calling for them to be replaced if they were responsible for the current victory drought. 

no-one is happy about 1 win in 18 league games but half those games we got points from hence 9th in the league, which is about right for where we'd expect to be.  If we finish this season 9th or better I'd be pretty happy in giving SK a 12 month rolling contract. 

SK has been given a tougher remit that other recent Well Managers. Reduce the squad and reduce the budget. 

He's made mistakes for sure, he's also remedied the mistakes by moving others on.

I really dislike the position we as a club are in.  After several decades in the SPL we're not progressing, the pipeline of  young talent hasn't been as consistent, I'd like to give SK or someone similar a chance to prove out the long game.

Scottish football overall is in a pretty sorry state, I don't think the clubs of similar size and stature are pulling away from us. I'm up for giving him time to rebuild. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

no-one is happy about 1 win in 18 league games but half those games we got points from hence 9th in the league, which is about right for where we'd expect to be.  If we finish this season 9th or better I'd be pretty happy in giving SK a 12 month rolling contract. 

SK has been given a tougher remit that other recent Well Managers. Reduce the squad and reduce the budget. 

He's made mistakes for sure, he's also remedied the mistakes by moving others on.

I really dislike the position we as a club are in.  After several decades in the SPL we're not progressing, the pipeline of  young talent hasn't been as consistent, I'd like to give SK or someone similar a chance to prove out the long game.

Scottish football overall is in a pretty sorry state, I don't think the clubs of similar size and stature are pulling away from us. I'm up for giving him time to rebuild. 

Spot on mate.

I'm 100% sure everyone gets the 1 win in 18 thing, I certainly do, but amazingly enough, we've never become detached because of it (meaning everyone is equally good or shite) and in the last 5 games, we've taken 6 points. Only Aberdaan, Killie and Dundeee have taken more, and then only by a point or 2. We're also 4 points off the top six. The two teams with the famous 'new manager bounce' behind them have taken 3 points and 1 point from their last 5 games. 

If we'd been fighting it out for bottom place after these 18 games and losing every week, I'm sure more people would be calling for heads, but as it stands, we're not. 

Some people on this forum seem to think that we either have some right to be better then everyone outside the OF or that bringing in some other journeyman manager with a sketchy track record (i.e what we can afford) will make things better. Time for calm heeds and showing a bit of support.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Some people on this forum seem to think that we either have some right to be better then everyone outside the OF or that bringing in some other journeyman manager with a sketchy track record (i.e what we can afford) will make things better. Time for calm heeds and showing a bit of support.

I don't think you can equate this statement with my view that one win in eighteen is simply unacceptable. Being aggrieved by that poor record is far from being a person who believes we should win everything. It doesn't have to be a feast or a famine. We've had calm heads and supported him, as a club, by giving him another transfer window, which many would argue is undeserved.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

IWe've had calm heads and supported him, as a club, by giving him another transfer window, which many would argue is undeserved.

In percentage terms of all Motherwell fans what level does "many" represent? At one time it might have been around 50/50 but I think his support has strengthened a fair bit since the depths of Ross County. Going by what I see and hear at matches most fans believe his position should be reviewed at season end. Does not mean they are entirely convinced though. 

Kind of reflects the majority on this forum.

31 minutes ago, dennyc said:

In percentage terms of all Motherwell fans what level does "many" represent? At one time it might have been around 50/50 but I think his support has strengthened a fair bit since the depths of Ross County. Going by what I see and hear at matches most fans believe his position should be reviewed at season end. Does not mean they are entirely convinced though. 

Kind of reflects the majority on this forum.

I've always backed Kettlewell. I think he's getting a much harder time than he deserves and yes the stats don't look great but this isn't just down to him. Its down to the players too. It was obvious the team had lost confidence before Christmas. I hope they kick on. As I said last night. The manager merry go round is one of the reasons we don't have money to spend on players. 

• Like 2

The Killie, County, and Morton games over the next week will make or break our season and him. The general feeling from fans is that they're pissed off, according to all the forums. So, if we don't beat the latter two, I think he’ll find it very difficult to come back from that. 

24 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The Killie, County, and Morton games over the next week will make or break our season and him. The general feeling from fans is that they're pissed off, according to all the forums. So, if we don't beat the latter two, I think he’ll find it very difficult to come back from that. 

Yes certainly agree. I detect fans irascible and a degree of discontent. 

Yes, the next 3 games are huge. The Directors gave SK time; has he used it to good effect?  If we haven't boosted the strikeforce (we've still to see Vale in action of course) then we have to have strengthened the defence to the extent we stop conceding soft goals. He has to convert draws into wins.  If we haven't improved our potency up front and still soft concede gift goals, then both he and the team are in big trouble.

I don't know if sacking another backroom staff and manager is the answer. What we've seen during this window is partly due to the fact we've been handing payouts to entire backroom teams like nobody's business.

Also, if the club is being run according to what people say on internet forums, we're in more considerable trouble than anyone could imagine.

Truth is, if we can maintain 9th spot, or even 10th, it's job done. Come the summer, it could be time for a discussion about the manager, but I can't see it being before then unless we hit a significant tailspin.

• Like 1