Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

6 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Don't forget, we also looked fairly good under Hammell for a handful of games at the start of the season. Hopefully Kettlewell won't run out of ideas like he did.

I don't know why, but this feels different. Hammell got us a few wins, and we looked decent enough, but the team seems completely revitalised now under Kettlewell.

53 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

A perfect example of how a group of players can look completely different under a different manager, the no hopers under anyone now  have six points in two games which we would not have gained under Hammell. Organisation, workrate,  confident, just night and day.

So True

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Don't forget, we also looked fairly good under Hammell for a handful of games at the start of the season. Hopefully Kettlewell won't run out of ideas like he did.

Absolutely.

This group of players seem to react well to a ‘boot up the backside’ which inevitably comes with a new manager. Those shouting for Kettlewell to get the job right now would do well to bear that in mind. What we need just now is someone who can instill and maintain discipline in that team and not accept a drop in effort. Tactical nous as well is also crucial.

Brilliant performance.

Well organised, energetic and with just enough skill and flair on show to make it really enjoyable.

No failures in the ranks again with every player getting more than pass marks and some players looking unrecognisable from the shadows of recent weeks.

We learned from Wednesday and played to Obikas strengths more and he looks to have quickly built an understanding with KVV who was fantastic and Spittal who was absolutely everywhere.

Really solid defensive performance though, which gave us the foundation to go and play. Butcher was immense and looks like the uncompromising hard b####rd that we have crying out for.

Solid performances from both young fullbacks, albeit both will be disappointed with some of their deliveries from wide areas, but that will improve with games.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. More of the same at Rugby Park please!

Just sat and watched the highlights,first chance I've seen any of the game,are the guys that were moaning about obika on Wednesday any happier today,he looked excellent,as for Sean Goss,he's always been capable of running a game like this but only if he's played correctly,I can't believe our 2 previous managers have missed a trick and ultimately it's been there downfall

Onwards and upwards

5 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I say one thing how good is the pressing under Kettlewell my god I been missing that all season.Every man from front to back right in Hearts players faces no time for them on the ball.

dean cornelius                                  no n am not his uncle

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, grumpy said:

What a pleasant way to start a Sunday afternoon, thoroughly deserved three points.

The BBC report, and a couple on here, have talked about Shankland hitting the post, it was actually a great save from Kelly and it, arguably, sent us on our way. Everyone contributed to that win and pretty much anyone could have been the man of the match. 

Having an organiser in Butcher allows us to look much more comfortable with and without the ball and at no point today was I tempted to start chewing my nails. If anything, I'm disappointed we didn't win by more.

One final thought, I was surprised that their no. 3 wasn't even spoken to after the second goal, he had Dean in a bear hug then wrestled him to the ground in the 6 yard box before Spittal put the ball in the net. Given our record against ten men I'm happy nothing happened, and I'm also happy to admit that I don't know that specific rule, but I thought some sort of action would have been in order. 

Huge result though, 'mon the 'Well.

sky sports said if spittal hadnt scored, it wouldv been pulled back for a pen and a sending off,   but feck that   we dont do 10 men

5 minutes ago, smiddy said:

sky sports said if spittal hadnt scored, it wouldv been pulled back for a pen and a sending off,   but feck that   we dont do 10 men

I've no doubt that would have happened, and as I said, I was happy not to play against 10 men, but if the referee waits for a break in play to make a booking, eg, Van Veen's stupid hand ball, why is a goal different from a throw in?

1 minute ago, grumpy said:

I've no doubt that would have happened, and as I said, I was happy not to play against 10 men, but if the referee waits for a break in play to make a booking, eg, Van Veen's stupid hand ball, why is a goal different from a throw in?

does anybody really know the rule now grumpy ???

23 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Yep , raging with KVV handball, so needless and could come back to bite us later in season 

A thoroughly deserved but unexpected and very welcome win today. A great all round team performance. We worked hard and the players looked well motivated and organised. For the first time in months they seemed to know what was expected of them and SK played to their strengths.  For me though they played as a team and looked well balanced, especially in midfield. KVV benefitted from Obika's support and the midfield complemented each other for once. We also looked solid in defence. Pleasingly, we looked more streetwise and managed the game well. No real MOTM for me although Butcher probably justy shaded it. A horrible horrible result for Dundee United, Ross County and Kilmarnock and they must fear that we've turned the corner.

Room for improevement? Of course and it may not be our best starting 11 but it was a new beginning and gives us a glimmer of hope.  

1 hour ago, stv said:

Just watched the highlights , great team performance , what a turn around in a week. Saw Burrows in dug out area at the end looked a bit of a forlorn,drawn and kind of sad figure. 

HIs last matchday at Fir Park as CEO of course, so every right to be feeling a tad reflective.

Really enjoyed that today! First time visiting home in ages and got to go to the game. Great team performance. I thought Spittal, McGinn and Butcher were standouts. The team shape now really benefits Goss....the guy is a baller! Furlong is raw and tired towards the end but he certainly grew into the game. Obika is huge help to Van Veen. You can see the confidence coming back and we knocked it about well at times. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grumpy said:

I agree it's difficult to keep up with the rules, but in this case I'd guss it's because when a team scores they haven't been denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Whereas a stupid handball is still a stupid handball.

For me the two players that have made a huge impact and difference to the team are Jonathan Obika up front and Calum Butcher at the back.

Obika is a very clever player. He has the strength and ability to hold defenders off, take the ball in, hold it up and bring others into play. He also looks like he will be a really good foil for Van Veen who looked re-energised today.

Butcher has brought a calm presence to the defence. His experience, positioning and organising ability together with a bit of steel has spread confidence through those around him. Looks like he and Casey could become a good partnership.