Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Looking at the highlights tonight, I think Spittal's goal is the first time I've ever seen the tactic of loading up the left side and hitting it long from the kick-off actually work.

Which now justifies us doing it for the next 40 years.

Back to the Alexander long ball football. Difference is we have a  big guy up front with KVV. He brings a physical presence which is more important than skill in the Scottish game. That has been evident even though we won the last two games. This approach with long ball football and limited possession (Hearts had nearly 70% possession,) is more suited to our lack of skill in being able to play possession football which spectacularly failed under Hammell. Even he resorted to kick it long at the end. This  comes down to whether the use of performance matters or is just about grinding out results. 

We had great performances against hearts and Dundee united earlier in the season, and got one point for it.  Our home gate has barely changed in over a decade, and I doubt playing like prime Barcelona will move the needle much either, as our fan base is what it is, so it's always going to be a case of playing the way that keeps us in the league. 

We've seen managers come into other clubs and try to change the style to a more attractive one, and they've fallen flat. I think the Scottish game should just lean into it and market the thunderdome style.

3 hours ago, ppower said:

Back to the Alexander long ball football. Difference is we have a  big guy up front with KVV. He brings a physical presence which is more important than skill in the Scottish game. That has been evident even though we won the last two games. This approach with long ball football and limited possession (Hearts had nearly 70% possession,) is more suited to our lack of skill in being able to play possession football which spectacularly failed under Hammell. Even he resorted to kick it long at the end. This  comes down to whether the use of performance matters or is just about grinding out results. 

Great post. It doesn't have to be extreme thunderdome football or silky expansive soccer; it can be a mix. However, long ball physical football is more likely to bring success to a club of our stature.  Young home grown talent can provide the skill and experienced journeymen the solidity, in very broad terms. Occasionally we can unearth a talented gem from elsewhere but thats the exception. Does our fanbase want attractive open football or decent results? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Great post. It doesn't have to be extreme thunderdome football or silky expansive soccer; it can be a mix. However, long ball physical football is more likely to bring success to a club of our stature.  Young home grown talent can provide the skill and experienced journeymen the solidity, in very broad terms. Occasionally we can unearth a talented gem from elsewhere but thats the exception. Does our fanbase want attractive open football or decent results? 

I think you’ve nailed it Dave

If I had to choose between McGhee (first time) and McCall's style of play that led us to top 3 league finishes, or GA's long ball style in the 2nd half of last season, I'm in the McGhee/McCall camp.

Likewise, if I had to choose between the first half of the season that Robinson was playing hoofball vs the 2nd half where he revamped our style with Hastie/Scott/Turnbull I'd choose the 2nd half of that season.

Imagine if we tried to play the long ball game when we had Russell. Cooper and Coyne in the team?

It's a strange phenomenon in Scottish football where people think your only options are to play a passing game and fail or play long balls and succeed. No wonder our game struggles to develop.

Also, if you're expecting young talent to be developed by coaching them a long ball game, then there isn't much future for the academy.

Kettlewell has stripped things down to basics due to circumstances and that is understandable. Even then he's talked about adding layers to it once the team has found a bit more confidence. Horses for courses and all that, but if any new manager wants to play Livi-style hoofball permanently, they wont have me watching.

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If I had to choose between McGhee (first time) and McCall's style of play that led us to top 3 league finishes, or GA's long ball style in the 2nd half of last season, I'm in the McGhee/McCall camp.

Likewise, if I had to choose between the first half of the season that Robinson was playing hoofball vs the 2nd half where he revamped our style with Hastie/Scott/Turnbull I'd choose the 2nd half of that season.

Imagine if we tried to play the long ball game when we had Russell. Cooper and Coyne in the team?

It's a strange phenomenon in Scottish football where people think your only options are to play a passing game and fail or play long balls and succeed. No wonder our game struggles to develop.

Also, if you're expecting young talent to be developed by coaching them a long ball game, then there isn't much future for the academy.

Well said and just about spot on. 

Why can't we aim for a Manager who accepts that both approaches are an option? Depending on a number of factors......opponents's style, injuries, league position etc. A Manager who is open to either approach is surely an asset. To a degree  that lack of flexibility was a major factor in recent Managers being shown the door. We were far too predictable and made it easier for our opponents.

Kettlewell's comments suggest he is open to either approach. So for me, and taking into account the evidence we have witnessed so far, I think he deserves his chance. Less of a risk than either of the other two for sure. It will soon become clear if he is a long term solution. We are not privy to Kettlewell's discussions with the Board, but it will be interesting to eventually discover what his vision of the way ahead is. Given his background I believe it will include youth development which has to be a priority for a Club like Motherwell. I'm not convinced either of the other two would look far beyond the first team. We need a Management team and Board working together across every aspect of the club. perhaps that what the ongoing discussions are about.

52 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The world has moved on since then. We couldn't afford to bring in players of that calibre now. Most of our league cannot compete financially with English League 1 clubs. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

The world has moved on since then. We couldn't afford to bring in players of that calibre now. Most of our league cannot compete financially with English League 1 clubs. 

If we can't afford it then neither can our opponents, so it should take less talent to outsmart their relatively-poorer midfielders and defenders too.  (They can still just clog us instead, but they can and did do that in the 90's as well.)

There is a world of difference between Alexanders long ball football and what we have winessed in the last 2 games. 

Under Alexander it was turgid shite and barely anything ever stuck up front. How we won so many games from the January to the December is a mystery to me. But he did win those games and our record was the best of the rest in the calendar year.

Unfortunately he couldnt maintain the results and when the football is that bad to watch he was always on borrowed time.

Whether he would have recovered the situation after Sligo, nobody knows, but I wasnt sad to see him go as I was at the point of giving the football up as it just wasnt enjoyable.

The long ball stuff under Alexander was enjoyable initially as well up until Moult left and then our form fell off a cliff. But there is no doubt we were much better to watch when Turnbull came into the team.

The last 2 games have been good and there has been enough football played to be entertaining. Obika is a better player with the ball at his feet than he gets credit for and he has breathed life into KVV which has to be welcomed.

Like others hace said, it shouldnt need to be either or, we have enough quality in the forward areas to play football in the final third, but nothing wrong with being a little more pragmatic at times.

Maybe that was Hammells downfall......