Ross County v Motherwell 04/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The difference in your attitude towards Hammell and KVV is mistifying to me.

One is our post war record appearance holder and club legend. The other is a very talented but huffy manchild who conttributed to getting the former sacked due to his poor attitude.

I would never have dropped KVV because without him we really didnt have goals in the team. And yes, the new formation does suit him better and is getting more out of him.

Hammell, could have changed that but didnt. Thats on him. But as a senior pro, you can down tools like KVV did, or you can roll your sleeves up and give everything youve got, as he is now showing.

Hammell is gone and no changing that. But you dont need to dance on his grave whilst glorifying a guy who may be a cult hero. But wont make it near our Hall of Fame.

What an utter pish take on the matter!KVV at no point downed tools if anything he actually done more for Hammel than any other player he was by the looks of things playing injured trying to do his bit for the team.

Go look at Declan Gallagher last 6 months with us that is what's called downed tools.

The guy is just stating facts and right to do so not glorifying anything.

I am pretty sure KVV needs 2 goals to get 19 goals which is more than Louis Moult scored in a season with us.Not bad for being lazy and downed tools eh?

Seems to be something that was missed in the discussion, which concentrated on the cross and goal for KVVs header, but the entire move from edge of box to goal was great stuff which seems to have gone un noticed !

On the KVV debate, you could look back on posts from Alexanders time in charge where I complained about how KVV was played. He spent far too much time collecting the ball on the half way line and out on the wings. The guy is a striker and a decent one. He needs to receive the ball in scoring positions in and around the box. thats what good strikers do. Whenj he gets the ball in the right places, he scores the goals. All this 'downed tools' patter is just pish.

• Like 1

His goals ratio is tremendous but what I will say is the one thing that really frustrates me is the amount of cheap bookings he picks up, I have a feeling he could be due a suspension soon which really leaves us struggling for goals.

Slattery bookings tally horrendous also but we can cope if he is missing. Not the case if KVV missing 

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

What an utter pish take on the matter!KVV at no point downed tools if anything he actually done more for Hammel than any other player he was by the looks of things playing injured trying to do his bit for the team.

Go look at Declan Gallagher last 6 months with us that is what's called downed tools.

Spot on. I would add that after the Raith debacle only two players came over to the goalmouth to acknowledge the fans ......the rest either stormed off or stood at the half way line looking embarrassed. Those two players who manned up were Tierney and Van Veen. And Van Veen was distraught. Hardly the actions of a man who had downed tools.

Hammell brought about his own downfall and his approach to that match confirmed he had to go.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:17 PM, steelboy said:

Aye we will be looking for an upgrade in midfield as the priority in the summer. 

Does anyone know how long Butcher and Casey are signed for?

Casey is contracted until the end of the season, and Butcher has a deal until the end of next season.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, star sail said:

What makes you say that? I thought 37 points was generally considered the marker for safety based on the last decade or so.

Are you working on the basis that Killie, Utd and RC will take points off each other and that two of the three can't now reach 33 points?

The number bods had predicted we only needed two more wins, before Saturday, as 33 points is expected to mean safety.

It's not my prediction.

However given we are effectively 7 points ahead now with 10 games to go Kilmarnock and Ross County would have to win 3 more matches than us when they have only won 6 all season.

So maybe it won't be far from the truth.

10 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I am pretty sure KVV needs 2 goals to get 19 goals which is more than Louis Moult scored in a season with us.Not bad for being lazy and downed tools eh?

You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on here.

But if you cant see the differences in KVV's performances when he is interested and when he isnt, then there's not much I can say.

I will repeat again. Im not saying he doesnt have talent. Im not saying his goals arent invaluable to the team. Im not saying that his return this season isnt incredible given how poor we have been at times, or that I would have dropped him.

Im also not saying he has been the only one. But seeing as this particualr debate is specifically about KVV, I dont see the point in expanding that here.

But I am saying his attitude has left a lot to be desired for large parts of the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Seems to be something that was missed in the discussion, which concentrated on the cross and goal for KVVs header, but the entire move from edge of box to goal was great stuff which seems to have gone un noticed !

On the KVV debate, you could look back on posts from Alexanders time in charge where I complained about how KVV was played. He spent far too much time collecting the ball on the half way line and out on the wings. The guy is a striker and a decent one. He needs to receive the ball in scoring positions in and around the box. thats what good strikers do. Whenj he gets the ball in the right places, he scores the goals. All this 'downed tools' patter is just pish.

It really isnt. Look at his work rate since Kettlewell has come in. He is dropping deep, picking up balls, going out wide, running channels, finding space AND scoring goals. He CAN do it all.

Now, some of that might be down to coaching, formations and man management, but his body language is entirely different at the moment and thats down to personal responsibility.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:27 AM, Robbos boy said:

As for downing tools, get real, said before if you're getting shafted at any job you don't exactly start to be the most industrious employee.

100% Robbo. Yes, you always get the one awkward employee who is just well...awkward and disruptive. In the main though employees, including footballers, do become dishearterned and demotivated when a manager gives confusing instructions, overcomplicates matters, gives wrong instructions, rubs them up the wrong way or whatever.  It takes a damn good employee to ignore all of those traits and still perform at 100%. I'm sure many of us have been there.

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

100% Robbo. Yes, you always get the one awkward employee who is just well...awkward and disruptive. In the main though employees, including footballers, do become dishearterned and demotivated when a manager gives confusing instructions, overcomplicates matters, gives wrong instructions, rubs them up the wrong way or whatever.  It takes a damn good employee to ignore all of those traits and still perform at 100%. I'm sure many of us have been there.

This sounds a bit like inside information that none of the rest of us have. Not expecting any sources to be revealed but some context would be helpful. If Hammell the manager doesnt deserve the respect that Hammell the player does, it would be good to hear it. 

As for places of employment. In general, I would agree with you. But sport isnt like a normal place of employment. Ive never played at any decent level, but I still only know one way to play and thats to leave everything out on the park regardless of instruction or performance. Maybe Im just a stubborn bugger though and expect too much from guys Id swap places with in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Ross County appealed Jack Baldwin's red card from Saturday, but this has now been rejected and his 3 match ban remains. 

I know this is Scotland and so it is a lottery regarding decisions during matches and the inevitable appeals. But if we accept that two qualified officials look at every potential red card and (eventually) agree on any outcome, you would think the VAR process would make the need for red card appeals redundant. If any are overturned then that suggests the panel have decided that two experienced Officials (at least) have got it entirely wrong. That surely raises bigger questions regards the competency of those Officials. I don't know what happens behind the scenes but I wonder if the reason for any overturn is discussed with those that are seen to have made an error?

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

I know this is Scotland and so it is a lottery regarding decisions during matches and the inevitable appeals. But if we accept that two qualified officials look at every potential red card and (eventually) agree on any outcome, you would think the VAR process would make the need for red card appeals redundant. If any are overturned then that suggests the panel have decided that two experienced Officials (at least) have got it entirely wrong. That surely raises bigger questions regards the competency of those Officials. I don't know what happens behind the scenes but I wonder if the reason for any overturn is discussed with those that are seen to have made an error?

I suppose, technically, the VAR official didn't say it was red card - he only suggested the ref take another look. The implication, of course, is that he did think it should be a red.

I suppose if a team has additional video footage not used by VAR then an appeal might make sense, but I agree that it's highly unlikely any panel is going to overturn a decision made by 2 officials.