2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

The main thing about Efford is he's a winger, not a striker.

First and foremost we need a number 9.

The more other players can chip in with goals, the better it is, but the line needs to be lead by a number 9. (Now just waiting for the false nine explainers chipping in).

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The more other players can chip in with goals, the better it is, but the line needs to be lead by a number 9. (Now just waiting for the false nine explainers chipping in).

Connnor Shields ??

54 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm not challenging , just wasn't aware that he's meant to be a winger. 

Honestly thought like Shields he'd been played out of position due to formation.  If a winger I don't see a way forward.  

Although hard to make comparisons gut feel is he's marginally better that Obika and Mandron.  I was thinking we'd be playing with 1 target with a smaller more mobile striker playing off them. Mandron, Obika sort of fit the bill for that role.   But if a winger then can't see him sticking around. 

22 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Fair to assume KVV hit his purple patch last season but he had score close to 20 goals per person with other clubs.   More than some of our strikers have combined over their careers.   

Efford had scored goals with the Greek club, other than that the data isn't that great for our other strikers.  Would personally like to see Efford get a chance at playing through the middle . If we get balls into the box he might grab a few goals. 

It's not fair to assume, cause it never happened. He hasn't come close to that kind of tally since 2014, and that was at lower division dutch clubs (second and fourth tiers)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Scott Burns reporting the following on Twitter:

“Hit the post on a couple. Striker a priority.  Need to get fringe players out to free up budget.  Money is tight.”

Money is tight already.  

Money in for KVV and his wage freed up, money to sign two duds last week. 

I didn't think they would play this card until at least August.  

8 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Not a number 9 and not good enough for the Premiership. Just look at his stats. 

It was a suggestion supposed to be steeped in sarcasm 😇

Reading through P & B today and some very good posts, and some nonsense ones of course . As things stand, I reckon we'll struggle, but there's a long way to go in the transfer window, so by no means panicking. I reckon we need a RB, LB, CB, MF and goalscoring striker. That might well depend on some fringe players leaving or going out on loan of course due to budget constraints.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Money is tight already.  

Money in for KVV and his wage freed up, money to sign two duds last week. 

I didn't think they would play this card until at least August.  

2 duds in your opinion.

A more balanced opinion might suggest 2 fairly decent squad players who were already on last seasons wage bill, so presumably not costing us any more money.

Given that we have moved on a few and some have chosen not to re-sign, we cant be casting adrift absolutely everyone or we will have a threadbare squad and be scrambling for signings near the end of the window, which you have criticised in the past.

Lets just take a minute and accept that there might just be plans to add some much needed quality to the squad which cant be done right now.

11 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I reckon one of the images posted this morning by the club shows the lad Josh Fowler from Beith Juniors in the background next to SOD. Bleach blonde hair and sleeve tattoo. Could be wrong. 

Certainly signing Paton doesnt bode well for Maguire.

Bevis might survive as a squad player depending on who we bring in, especially with Butcher being unavailable for the start of the season. 

You cant see there being a place for Tierney, Danzaki AND Mahon in the squad given the way SK wanted to play last year. One of them as an option to change things from the bench, but with Efford returning to fitness as well you would think a couple of them are surplus to requirements unless we change the way we play.

McGinley and Shields will probably be a bit like Bevis and depend on who we are able to bring in.

18 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I honestly think SK is going to give Conor Shields a run in the team might sound crazy but he has been used appallingly since he came to Motherwell right partner up front he might do us a turn.

If we go into the new season with Shields, Obika, Efford and Mandron as our striking options then it’s going to be grim, grim stuff for us next year. Fortunately there is still time for SK and the scouting dept to try and sort this so hopefully they come up with something.

Going by the pictures posted on social media it doesn't look like Danzaki has traveled with the squad, plus that's been several interviews Kettlewell has said he was well down the pecking order followed by he will need to up his game to be considered.

It'll be interesting to see how the squad looks come the close of the transfer window, I hate criticising players but if we could shift Shields, Maguire, and Mugabi that would be a great start, easier said than done though as they would likely all be looking at a reduced wage. I think with McGinley's injury issues he will be kicking about for a wee bit yet.

12 hours ago, JSR said:

On josh fowler

He scored 37 goals in 65 games and was top for assists too, I know it’s at a different level but he seems to know his way to goal.

Very good player, that level is pretty under appreciated many of the teams in that league are more than capable of competing at league 1, obviously the likes of darvel showed they can compete against L1 and beat Aberdeen, a lot of very good players in the leagues, many players drop down for a good pay.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

If we go into the new season with Shields, Obika, Efford and Mandron as our striking options then it’s going to be grim, grim stuff for us next year. Fortunately there is still time for SK and the scouting dept to try and sort this so hopefully they come up with something.

Maybe yes, maybe no we all know we are not going to sign a striker with a great goal scoring record at a decent level as they are rarely available and if they are we cant afford them, so anybody we do bring in is a punt as it always is ie Higdon and KVV etc.

So maybe the likes of Efford, Shields and Obika will come good after extended runs in the team, I'll give you Mandron he's as slow as a week in the jail.

So if we can get an experienced striker in and get the balance right I think we will be OK, but as ever only time will tell if the gambles pay off.

50 minutes ago, MJC said:

Have I missed something here ? When did we sign Mandron ??

• David locked this topic