2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm not a fan of Goodwin, but I'd much rather have Utd in our league than Killie or Livi.

I wouldn't, any team with greater resources than us increases our percentage chances of struggling and even worse going down. I always like a few teams who cant out spend / resource us in the league. It improves our chances of staying where we are. That's why I was hoping Queens Park would come up , Dundee are an infinitely bigger threat to where we end up than Queens  Park would have been.

I'm more interested in entertainment and any team we play on grass is much better for that. Not to mention injuries like the on Butcher picked up.

I'm happy to see new teams in our league too - would have loved Ayr Utd to have made it this time - but I doubt Dundee are more of a threat than Queens Park. In fact, Queens Park are probably spending more these days to get into the top flight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

We could never afford to sign a player like Johnston so there is zero chance we'll be bringing in someone has good as him on a transfer.

However, as SK said in his recent interview, he is already assessing our academy youngsters to see who can handle the step up, who needs to stay in the academy and who will benefit from a loan. He certainly talked a good game about getting the balance right between youth and experience.

It could be, that someone like Wilson is the next one to step up and fill that role in defence, or it could be that SK decides the youthful energy is better served by guys like Ross or Miller further up the pitch.

I've already said here that I don't expect us to be able to bring in like for like replacements for the players we've lost and as a result will probably be a weaker side.

But the age issue stands.  If we don't do something this season it's definitely going to be a bigger problem next season.

Whether they come from elsewhere or our youth squad, we definitely need some younger options in those positions.

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm happy to see new teams in our league too - would have loved Ayr Utd to have made it this time - but I doubt Dundee are more of a threat than Queens Park. In fact, Queens Park are probably spending more these days to get into the top flight.

I'm absolutely in favour of two teams being relegated from the Premiership every year, even though it puts ourselves in greater danger.

The currently league set up is a bit stodgy and airless.  We pretty much see the same teams every year and we need a greater turnaround of teams going in and out of the league.

If you compare it to some of the lower leagues in Scotland, they are getting a 40% turnaround in teams competing in the division some seasons. 

It keeps things fresh but the Premiership is rather dowdy and I doubt turkeys will vote for Christmas.

• Like 1

That's Moult signed for Dundee United so least that rumour or such can be put to bed.

I enjoyed the United promo for him though, almost a minute of Motherwell goals.

Good luck to the guy I hope he can get put his injury worries behind him.

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm absolutely in favour of two teams being relegated from the Premiership every year, even though it puts ourselves in greater danger.

The currently league set up is a bit stodgy and airless.  We pretty much see the same teams every year and we need a greater turnaround of teams going in and out of the league.

If you compare it to some of the lower leagues in Scotland, they are getting a 40% turnaround in teams competing in the division some seasons. 

It keeps things fresh but the Premiership is rather dowdy and I doubt turkeys will vote for Christmas.

16 team Premier League

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

A lot will be relieved then that Louis hasn't signed. Personally I would have given him a 6 month deal, yep a risk but doesn't matter now. Good luck Louis, always a well legend 

It’s a positive for us a as a club that we haven’t taken yet another gamble on Moult as the last thing we need just now is to bring in an injury prone striker who is untouchable with a large section of the support. No harm to the player himself, I loved watching him playing for us and nothing will ever take that day at Hampden away from us or him. But that’s all in the past now and there’s no room for sentiment.

And for the misty eyed fanboys who were desperate for him to sign again…

#Hey there you with the sad face

come up to my place and live it up.

You, there wi yer Moult top on what do you cry for?

let’s live it up# 🎶

No one is bigger than the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

16 team Premier League

Not one league reconstruction has ever changed the product on the park. You hear the same pish every time,  allows teams to play youngsters, takes away fear factor... It's all shite it's just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. It doesn't increase crowds one bit. Fans are no more enticed by watching their playing Ayr Utd twice as opposed to St Mirren 3 times.

• Like 1

Just now, MJC said:

And for the misty eyed fanboys who were desperate for him to sign again…

Why you seem to take so much pleasure in belittling and trying to wind up your fellow supporters is baffling. I personally don't think Moult has what it takes at this level now, sadly. But I'd never dream of mocking any Motherwell fan who still holds out hope and would love to see a fairytale ending.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, David said:

Why you seem to take so much pleasure in belittling and trying to wind up your fellow supporters is baffling. I personally don't think Moult has what it takes at this level now, sadly. But I'd never dream of mocking any Motherwell fan who still holds out hope and would love to see a fairytale ending.

The said same trumpets clapping like seals when Hammell was appointed under similar sentimental claptrap almost led to the polar opposite of a fairytale ending. They would have McFadden back in the squad given the choice and as such are not to be encouraged 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ML1 said:

The said same trumpets clapping like seals when Hammell was appointed under similar sentimental claptrap almost led to the polar opposite of a fairytale ending. They would have McFadden back in the squad given the choice and as such are not to be encouraged 

Not gonna lie, I would absolute love to see McFadden pull a pair of boots on again for Motherwell haha

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, ML1 said:

Well, thankfully we have the likes of you and MJC to keep them in line, eh? 

On 7/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, David said:

Players with that pedigree who have been playing consistently the past few years wouldn't be anywhere near Fir Park. 

Looks like he's had some injury issues since a serious car crash when he was at Crystal Palace, and hasn't really kicked on since. I guess depending how the deal is structured it's a worthwhile gamble. Being as he was released by Morecambe after only being there for a few months I doubt he's come in on big wages. 

He'll either look really good and get a move in January, or look rubbish and disappear in January. Either way, he's an extra body in the door.

As a Well fan in exile, I am now a season ticket holder at Charlton.

Soare started last season at the Valley and was welcomed by a similar response. There’s no doubt the bloke has a great pedigree.

The problem is that he has never truly recovered from the car smash in 2016 that nearly crippled him.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/18/pape-souare-crystal-palace-car-crash-interview

Come January, he was let go and his squad role was taken by Matt Penney. 

I really want it to work out for him at Motherwell.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, David said:

Well, thankfully we have the likes of you and MJC to keep them in line, eh? 

Its the Internet mate , what kind of knob would be full of such self importance ...?

10 hours ago, David said:

I don't take pleasure in it, it's more that I just don't understand fans who put certain players on a higher pedestal than the club itself. Faddy and Moult being the prime examples.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I don't take pleasure in it, it's more that I just don't understand fans who put certain players on a higher pedestal than the club itself. Faddy and Moult being the prime examples.

McFadden was on a completely different level to Moult in all aspects so deserves to be on the high pedestal, as for Moult he had a good spell with us lots of important goals and a really nice guy but truth be told he was a bang average footballer.

Am i missing something

SK saying he was happy with the defensive and midfield options personally think we need at least 2 central-midfielders and 1 CB as don't trust Mugabi or Lamie to do a job there and placing that much faith in Miller at 16 is a recipe for disaster.

We need at least 2 forwards and  wouldn't say no to a Rwb

Also anyone know if we are getting a fee for Sheilds

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I have been away so haven't kept up with the match threads - no sign of Efford yet? Injured again?

It looks like has been punted. 

Kettlewell said we are running with three strikers at the moment so Efford and Shields are out of contention. 

9 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Am i missing something

SK saying he was happy with the defensive and midfield options personally think we need at least 2 central-midfielders and 1 CB as don't trust Mugabi or Lamie to do a job there and placing that much faith in Miller at 16 is a recipe for disaster. 

I was surprised by the chat about midfield but if you think we're signing another defender when we have six players who play centre back (even if one is injured), I think you're being optimistic. If we move one on, maybe...

22 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I was surprised by the chat about midfield but if you think we're signing another defender when we have six players who play centre back (even if one is injured), I think you're being optimistic. If we move one on, maybe...

Mugabi should not still have a contract he seems a lovely guy but a woeful footballer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

McFadden was on a completely different level to Moult in all aspects so deserves to be on the high pedestal, as for Moult he had a good spell with us lots of important goals and a really nice guy but truth be told he was a bang average footballer.

He was yes, no argument on that front, but Moult last season even when it was clear that he wasn’t able to contribute anything to the team still had fans gushing about his limited contributions and demanding he be given more game time. It was the same when Faddy returned for his third spell when he was clearly done, he could do absolutely no wrong. I’m not comparing the two players, just the way they are viewed by some Motherwell fans, there is a similarity there. 

But neither of them and no other player, coach or manager is bigger than the club itself no matter how good they were or what they achieved or contributed. I support a club, not an individual.

48 minutes ago, MJC said:

He was yes, no argument on that front, but Moult last season even when it was clear that he wasn’t able to contribute anything to the team still had fans gushing about his limited contributions and demanding he be given more game time. It was the same when Faddy returned for his third spell when he was clearly done, he could do absolutely no wrong. I’m not comparing the two players, just the way they are viewed by some Motherwell fans, there is a similarity there. 

But neither of them and no other player, coach or manager is bigger than the club itself no matter how good they were or what they achieved or contributed. I support a club, not an individual.

I don't think anyone other than you has raised the question of either of those players being regarded as bigger than the Club. And the players certainly have said or done nothing to suggest they think that way either. What most fans recognise is that both players contributed greatly to our Club and added to Motherwell FC on and off the pitch. Not that many players past and present have contributed to the extent they have.

Unlike a sad, few, fickle fans on here I would be delighted if Moult rattles in 30 goals this season, no matter who he scores them for and as long as they don't contribute to a defeat for us. I think that after his run of terrible injuries he deserves some good fortune. Many less determined players would have given up by now. Credit to him for that.  I don't really think he will score those goals but I wish him well.

And my take on both players attempts to continue playing for us is that most fans were desperate for them to do themselves credit, but nobody was screaming out for them to get more game time when it was clear they were not fit and therefore not contributing to the team. In fact it was extremely depressing watching them try their utmost but fall short.  Both were punts worth taking, but punts that did not work out. Maybe that does not suit your storyline but it is reality.

But here is a question for you. Given he is only 31, and if Moult comes through the entire season injury free and scores upwards of 15 league goals for Utd would you entertain his return next season at age 32? Won't be an option of course, because if he does prove the doubters wrong, then Utd will extend his contract and he will likely be back at Fir Park wearing their colours.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic