2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

9 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

I'll say this quitely but it seems that our manager actually sees the issues in the squad we do.

Personally think we could do with 3/4 more

Rwb,Cb,2xSt wouldn't say no to another ball winning midfielder if it was on the go

We probably need another CB, but perhaps that's why we've only sent Sam Campbell out on loan for 6- months. Agree on the strikers and RWB, although Shields (#9), Efford (#11) and Tierney (#10) are the attackers still on our books, and SOD and McGinn cover RWB/RB. Perhaps Shields is moved on, Efford is injured, and Tierney goes out on loan to allow more incomers, and maybe SOD will come good again if he's to play attacking RWB in the 352, as he did for Scotland. It'll take Kettlewell another season to turn over this squad, and, just like you said, I think he knows what needs to be done. 

I think whats most encouraging at the moment, is that there appears to be a plan and structure about the way we are going about our business, which sets it apart from the splatterdash signings under previous managers.

• Like 1

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

I think whats most encouraging at the moment, is that there appears to be a plan and structure about the way we are going about our business, which sets it apart from the splatterdash signings under previous managers.

It could also be the case that without a CEO in place, Kettlewell is more involved in proceedings than previous managers would be. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Not sure why a CEO would be involved in any aspect of recruitment other than budgetary.

They shouldn’t be, but perhaps that’s what’s happened in recent years. Who signed Danzaki, for example? 

• Like 1

Just now, weeyin said:

Not sure why a CEO would be involved in any aspect of recruitment other than budgetary.

Neither am I, but i'm led to believe that wasn't always the case with us in recent years. Just what I've heard mind you, so just an opinion.

Hopefully there is some truth in the big Nigerian striker as we need someone up front who can put the ball in the back of the net. Today was brutal, misplaced passes, no one moving off the ball, Queens Park looked a decent side, done everything we should have done…

54 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Hopefully there is some truth in the big Nigerian striker as we need someone up front who can put the ball in the back of the net. Today was brutal, misplaced passes, no one moving off the ball, Queens Park looked a decent side, done everything we should have done…

I thought Queens were equally brutal at times, how many times did they sling the ball right out the park or lose possession trying to play out out from the back, if we were more clinical from those breaks we could have killed the game earlier. Our old favourite Dom Thomas had three freekicks in the second half late on and each and everyone one wasted. 

Kettlewell has stated that we are looking at a new forward, I think that young forward you mentioned only had a handful of senior goals. It'll be interesting to see who we get but I think someone with pace would be most welcome.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:23 AM, thewelllfan said:

I'll say this quitely but it seems that our manager actually sees the issues in the squad we do.

Personally think we could do with 3/4 more

Rwb,Cb,2xSt wouldn't say no to another ball winning midfielder if it was on the go

That's what I like about Kettlewell. He obviously isn't as brutal in this language as the fans but it clearly obvious he's seeing the same things we are.

• Confused 1

While we obviously need to trust in Kettlewell to get the squad in place that he wants, and the type of players who can play in his preferred system, I need to admit that it does worry me that we're seemingly chasing a fair chunk of our players who have an element of skill and creativity about them.

Who are we left with that could be considered creators of sorts? Spitall and Slattery? 

And both Wilkinson and Obika are in the "big lump" mould, although I'm sure I saw it said that Wilkinson is good with the ball at his feet despite being 6'3 or whatever. I've not quite seen that element from him to this point but maybe he will come good.

I'm happy enough with the no-nonsense aspect in our defence, where it's needed at our level. Casey, Blaney and Butcher will do just fine. O'Donnell has looked decent enough so far down the flank, and McGinn is decent enough in a few positions when needed, while Pape is an unknown quantity at this stage.

Midfield concerns me. We currently have Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Paton and Miller, along with the new lad Davor who is seemingly a defensive midfielder? With Tierney away that's another player gone who could do something creative with the ball, even if he's not had much chance to show it. Same with Danzaki. He didn't really get much time to bed in, but it was clear from the outset he's not a Kettlewell player.

Unless we sign a few creative types, where is the creativity coming from in that midfield? 

And up front, we've got two lumps up top in Wilkinson and Obika. Efford is quick and skillful, but again, he looks like he's on his way out from what I'm hearing? 

Again, we need to trust Kettlewell after the results he's gotten, but this current squad looks very ordinary and bereft of any kind of creative spark at the moment.

55 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Tierney off on loan

With two years left on his contract, and it being the case that he’s out of favour, this is a sensible move. 

We now must sign a proven creative midfielder and a natural goalscorer. 

24 minutes ago, wellfan said:

With two years left on his contract, and it being the case that he’s out of favour, this is a sensible move. 

We now must sign a proven creative midfielder and a natural goalscorer. 

Who doesn't? Probably the 2 hardest types of player to find, and usually the most expensive.

24 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Who doesn't? Probably the 2 hardest types of player to find, and usually the most expensive.

Yes that's how I see it, the goalscorers, the technical and pacey players are the ones in demand and the those in our price range will be looking for the best possible offer they can get

Just now, wellfan said:

Once Tierney, Shields and Efford are off the payroll, I fully expect Kettlewell to have the resource to bring in a ‘marquee’ signing.

By "marquee signing" you mean another big player from the lower reaches of the English game with a patchy goalscoring record and no real creativity and skill? 

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I still feel there is a player there in Tierney so hopefully he gets a lot of game time and experience 

I don't think it will make much difference. The manager has made it clear we don't really facilitate players like him. Smaller, more mobile creators who operate in a "number 10" type of position.

5 minutes ago, David said:

By "marquee signing" you mean another big player from the lower reaches of the English game with a patchy goalscoring record and no real creativity and skill?

Pretty much, or Fletcher... Either way, KVV was always going to be difficult to replace. Obika isn't the answer and it's too early to judge Wilkinson, but early signs are not promising. 

Never really rated Tierney, one decent performance off the bench against St Mirren and that's about it. Happy to see him moved on to free up a wage.

What's the crack with Efford? I'd be surprised if he moved on given the club did some social media stuff with him recently about his return from injury.

• David locked this topic